im working on the prelude from bach suite 2 and in the middle of the piece there are these little tiny triangle-like marks right above some notes... i ignored em and tried to play the part but its really hard so im guessing there has to be something to those marks.... any help appreciated
up pointing triangles in music are very short, heavily attacked accents. down facing triangles on string music show that you should be using a pizzicato technique(at least for violin) and sideways point triangles are a less short but still strong accent. hopefully this helps.
yea i know what those triangles mean but its not an arrow, its a filled triangle pointing up
they are called staccatissimo markings. Instead of regular staccato markings (which shorten the actual sounding of the note about have the length of the note) which just make it more separated from other surrounding notes, the staccatissimo marking makes it so that you play the note as short as possible.

Normally the composer wants the note so short that while you can still tell the note being played, the music should come off as having an almost percussive quality to it.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
That's called marcado. You play them accented and staccato.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
That's called marcado. You play them accented and staccato.

Marcato is with a unfilled, heavy lined triangle facing up, not a filled triangle facing down...same idea though, just without the accent and super staccato.
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Oh I thought he was talking about a marcato. my bad.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Actually violin sheet music usually indicates pizzicato play with just a simple pizz. above the staff. Unless you're talking about left hand pizz, that's indicated by a +.

I'm going to guess it's an accent indication, something like a lot of these guys are saying, perhaps a marcato or a staccato, so play it hard and silence the string immediately after so the note doesn't ring. But you might want to post a pic just to be sure since it's very hard to determine based on descriptions.

The funny thing is about sheet music is that half the time I can't even write it, but when I see it, I immediately know what I'm looking at. There are a lot of little markings that I know how to play, but if you asked me to recite them or write them down I'd be like...wtf? So a picture would probably be the best