I heard that since it is hard to play after soaking, later it will be alot easier or you will be able to play faster. I seached the forums and couldnt find anything on this. To me it sounds like it would do more harm than good. What do you guys think?
I don't think that would help at all. I hate playing guitar with cold hands, it makes you play so much worse. Soaking then in warm water would probably be better.
Surely it would make them freeze up and go slower? When youre physically cold you can't move much.
Or maybe just keeping them warm and dry? Seems to work well for everyone else on the planet.
Fender MIM Telecaster (w/SD Little '59)
Boss DS-1
Electro-Harmonix Little Big Muff
Digitech EX-7
Marshall Echohead
Fender Pro Junior
i do this but no for speed reasons.
i do this so that my had wont sweat and ruin my strings,neck,fretboard.
it works some what.
If I remember correctly, Joe Satriani dips his elbows in hot water to loosen up his forearms.
Doesn't sound like a good idea, and sounds like an easy way to tear your callouses.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I think that with warm water should help your circulation and a good warm up for your blood rush (?) but with cold water, i'd have to say: No, nones, Niet, not in a million years.
I know Glenn Gould soaked his armsin warm water to loosen up his joints. Maybe cold water will slow you down, but practising with cold hands might make you faster when they are warm? Kinda like Ali's underwater shadow boxing?
Just a thought.
Quote by Magical_Treva
I heard that since it is hard to play after soaking, later it will be alot easier or you will be able to play faster. I seached the forums and couldnt find anything on this. To me it sounds like it would do more harm than good. What do you guys think?

Bad Idea... USE WARM WATER! Never heard of a warm up in sports? Same thing applies to guitar or any discipline where you are constantly using a group of muscles.
Quote by Leafs_fan_37
I know Glenn Gould soaked his armsin warm water to loosen up his joints. Maybe cold water will slow you down, but practising with cold hands might make you faster when they are warm? Kinda like Ali's underwater shadow boxing?
Just a thought.

but the aim there is to increase the resistance against him, so he has to do more work- it's not about the temperature- i'd say if you want to develop your strength, have a second guitar with thicker strings. I've got a semi acoustic that i practice most of my bands stuff on, then when i go to play it on my electric its a lot easier
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
the cold will make you muscles contract and tense up, which is not a good idea if speed is what you're aiming for, all it would do is make your hands feel slow and sluggish untill you do warm up.

and why would you soak you hands in water before playing? especially if its hot water, surely it would soften up your calluses... simply holding a cup of warmed water would do the same thing.
If anything, you'd want to soak your hands in cold water AFTER you are done playing, just like athletes after a game or workout, to reduce swelling and speed muscle recovery. Not sure it's necessary for guitar playing.
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
i do this but no for speed reasons.
i do this so that my had wont sweat and ruin my strings,neck,fretboard.
it works some what.

warm, soapy water is best to prevent sweaty hands.
NO DON"T DO THIS YOU DOUCE you're meant to warm up before you play to prevent RSI/Tendinitis ffs dont be an idiot i've had so much **** from not warming up properly thats just ridiculous. use hot water not ice
Quote by Magical_Treva

It makes it hard to play because your muscles are all contracted, it's not going to do any good whatsoever and could likely cause damage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Magical_Treva

Sure thing! Another good tip of that kind would be developing your hands coordination and breathing technique while practicing guitar on Himalayas with very thin air and freezing temperature! That will make you a better player on so many levels ... first of all you'll have to practice with gloves on...
Why do you think 80's guitar players spend so much time in Asia these days!
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

wtf?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by LukeElliff

What? In order to play an instrument (ANY Instrument) well, and fast, you must learn to use as little amount of force and strength at all. Learning to relax and control your movements is the key to playing well.
Also, loosening strings would cause the guitar to go out of tune.
Also he never said anything about wanting 'faster stumming'.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
ummm cold hands and guitar= slowness and suckibility, nothing you can do about that except blow on your hands to make them warm, and really lets just play on guitar strings with wet hands it just so nicely makes the strings last longer. As you can see what it says under my name. Morons
Presumably it's trying to be the idea behind exercising with weights on: you have to try harder to go as fast with the weights on, so when they're off you can go faster than usual.

However, it doesn't exercise muscles to warm them back up; it's just bloodflow increasing in the hands. Your muscles won't grow by exercising without any blood - they'll just be starved of oxygen for a bit. This starvation won't make the muscle be able to work with less oxygen, like an incorrect view of when Olympic atheletes train at high altitudes. They do that with full bloodflow and increase their lung capacity, not decrease their muscles' required oxygen intake for a certain task.

It's when a muscle is exercised with blood flowing through it that the muscle grows. Without blood, it's just reaching the point of damage quicker as it runs out of oxygen.
A better idea would be to either buy those finger weights that have been advertised in Guitar Player lately, or figure out a way to make them at home. It's the principle you're thinking of, but it actually works.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Forget that.
My hands are always cold normally, I don't need any cold water to make then even more so.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
cold water is a very bad idea.

warm water shouldn't be too bad as long as you dont soak your fingers for too long. In the morning when I get up and take a shower I place my left hand right at the showerhead and warm up all my joints to get them nice and loose then I just keep stretching and moving them through out the day to keep them like that.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
So how do you gentlemen fancy my new sig?
Quote by LukeElliff

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.