Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. And sorry if this is long.

I have a very old Kustom 16 watt amp. It's got four settings under EQ which I can adjust: Low, Mid-low, Mid-High, High. Now it works okay when I am practising. But today, I put a lead from its line out into my audio interface which is connected to my PC, so I could record. I got horrible buzzing/crackling/whistling sounds. As soon as I turned the "High" knob completely down it went. But it made my tone crap. Another thing, is that the amp picks up other unwanted sounds (slightly) - possibly my PC or mobile phone...as it buzzes when it's near by my phone.

But anyway, what I wanted to ask was, do you think it's time I got a new amp? Or are the problems I described above easily fixed? I am particularly interested to know whether amps in general pick up the sound of the PC, or whether the PC will interfere with amps...?

My next question is if I should get a new bass amp, I've got about £150 pounds to spend, and I need something with a line out so that I can connect it to my audio interface, and record my bass playing on my computer. Can you suggest anything within this price range? I need something which is going to make my new Mexican Jazz bass sound as good as possible.

Thanks for your help.
The computer could be interfering with your pickups. My TV and iPod do this with both my guitar and my bass.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
keep your phone away from speakers, and when you have your line out plugged into your computer's input you might have to turn down the volume as far as you can while still being able to hear your bass ok. I do the same thing with my amp, and I have to have the volume knob on my amp turned down (volume on bass doesn't matter) or else i get a hissing sound and clipping occurs when i try to play.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by GirlGerms
Would you suggest buying a new amp though? I mean, there is obviously something wrong with it if I can't have the "High" knob turned on at all...

No, there's some interference, most likely. The high knob turned up just accentuates that, since it's probably a very high pitched noise come from something electrical. I think you're just looking for an excuse to get a new amp.
Quote by GirlGerms
Would you suggest buying a new amp though? I mean, there is obviously something wrong with it if I can't have the "High" knob turned on at all...

don't turn the high knob down, just turn the overall volume down
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
I turned the overall volume down to the lowest point possible before going to zero volume. Check my profile page for the sound clip of the sounds I am hearing: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/GirlGerms/

Oh and even when the volume is at zero, if the "High" knob is not at zero, I will still hear these sounds. Once again, as soon as I turned the "High" knob completely down, the sounds go. What can I do?
maybe it's your amp then...you could buy a 1/4" to whatever size your computer's input is adaptor and plug your bass directly into your computer and try that (it's cheaper than a new amp)
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Try turning off the monitor on your computer. This adds some noise to my small amp.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu