okkkk

so im lookin for a new amp.

First Genres.... I dont really even know haha. I really like blues/some clean stuff. Im starting to grow to like more "different" sounding stuff. like white stripes, muse, stuff like that. and i really like classic rock.

Guitar: Fender HSS Strat.

Budget: Like 7-800 new. Im buying used so probably around 400 or less used

I was looking at a blues jr. today at gc, and really liked it.

Couple of questions though. How dirty could i get with a good distortion pedal?

Does it take pedals well?

What aobut something like a little big muff for lighter distortion?

What genres it do best?

Any other amp ideas?
Last edited by nathanlamb01098 at Jul 4, 2009,
i know someone who is selling an RM20 head for $450. all you need is a module and a cab. modules cost like $200 new. if you want a good clean, then try the Blackface.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
i know someone who is selling an RM20 head for $450. all you need is a module and a cab. modules cost like $200 new. if you want a good clean, then try the Blackface.

whats an RM20
i had a blues jr for a few months, but am selling it in a matter of days. i found that it sounds extremely boxy and almost tinny. the cleans are verrrry very nice, but the dirtier it got, the worse it sounded for me. it also did not interact very well with my tubescreamers or fuzz pedal, which is odd because i've heard time and time again how well it takes pedals. it also lacks an fx loop.

tl;dr: i didn't like my blues jr. cuz its really boxy, didn't like my distortion pedals, and has no fx loop. excellent cleans and good light overdrive though

i am currently looking into the egnater rebel 30, the rebel 20 is in your price range and is also amazing. check it out. maybe the new marshall Haze, although i havn't tried it
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Last edited by phobiafreak949 at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by nathanlamb01098
whats an RM20

sorry. i should've explained.

the Randall RM20 is an all tube head with one modular channel. each modules has two preamp tubes and is based off of a certain amp. the Blackface for example is based off of the Fender blackface Twin, and nails it really well.

it has a tube bias section in the back that allows you to change and bias your tubes yourself. result: you don't loose your amp for several weeks while a tech tries to fix it.

it also has a series FX loop, as well as a gain boost function.

an extremely versatile amp. the best part is that if you want a new tone, you can spend $200 on a new module instead of $2000 on a new head.

good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by phobiafreak949
i had a blues jr for a few months, but am selling it in a matter of days. i found that it sounds extremely boxy and almost tinny. the cleans are verrrry very nice, but the dirtier it got, the worse it sounded for me. it also did not interact very well with my tubescreamers or fuzz pedal, which is odd because i've heard time and time again how well it takes pedals. it also lacks an fx loop.

tl;dr: i didn't like my blues jr. cuz its really boxy, didn't like my distortion pedals, and has no fx loop. excellent cleans and good light overdrive though

i am currently looking into the egnater rebel 30, the rebel 20 is in your price range and is also amazing. check it out. maybe the new marshall Haze, although i havn't tried it

So any other ideas of what i could get on like dallas.craigslist.org for under 400 that would fit my budget
Quote by nathanlamb01098
by the way this would be my first tube amp.

I know nothing about them

ya, same with me. i'm trying to get an RM50 (a step above the RM20).

tube amps are like tremolo systems; they are great when you maintenance them properly.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by nathanlamb01098
So any other ideas of what i could get on like dallas.craigslist.org for under 400 that would fit my budget

theres a fender hot rod delux on there for $450. its like the more versatile older brother of the blues jr. my best friend has one, and its fantastic, not sure how it is with pedals tho.

theres also a fender blues deville amp, which i can't say much about as i've never heard on in person. 400 bucks.

ooo also theres a marshall JTM60 for 500 bucks if u wanna raise your budget a little bit

i'd go with the JTM or the Hot rod deluxe for the styles you play
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by phobiafreak949
theres a fender hot rod delux on there for $450. its like the more versatile older brother of the blues jr. my best friend has one, and its fantastic, not sure how it is with pedals tho.

theres also a fender blues deville amp, which i can't say much about as i've never heard on in person. 400 bucks.

ooo also theres a marshall JTM60 for 500 bucks if u wanna raise your budget a little bit

i'd go with the JTM or the Hot rod deluxe for the styles you play

Cant buy right now. jsut using site to get some price ideas for when i can.

how is the hot rod deluxe though compared to the blues jr.?
the hot rod is louder, more wattage, much more headroom (stays cleaner at louder volumes), and is two-channel. there is much more gain in the amp, but you would probably need a fuzz or OD pedal to take you into muse or white stripes terretory. i could be wrong tho. it also sounds much more open and "bigger" than the blues jr. does
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals