Hello there!

The bassist in my band has currently only 1 bass (for normal tuning) and 1 ok Amp, no effects on it and he has no pedals aswell.

But we're going to playing in Drop C for couple songs, and he needs his bass in normal tuning for other songs and musicschool. Retuning every string isn't an option as it's not good for the neck.

So we are looking for a second bass, LEFT handed. It will be used for Drop C tuning, NO 5 string bass. Price should not go above 500euro. (He uses his fingers, if this matters at all/P)

Also, since our bassist hasn't got any pedal so far, and he never used one so far, he' planning on buying 1, maximum 2 pedals. What we are playing is mainly Katatonia stuff, also some 3 days grace. I told him he should be trying out some chorus pedals, don't know if I should be giving him advice though, i'm a bloody guitarist after all :P

So advice on a new bass, and some advice on some pedals are really welcome!

Thanks!

EDIT == advice on string thickness welcome too
Last edited by ButterflyJones at Jul 4, 2009,
I don't see why you couldn't re-tune- It's not like he's going to have school five minutes after a gig / practice or something. Also, why does he need any pedals? Unless there's a deliberate use for them, it's just a waste of money.
retune from Drop C to standard each time?
If it's same for guitar, that's not good for your neck, and strings won't stay in tune at start.

No pedals? kk, i thought most users here really like bass chorus etc though :P :P
Quote by ButterflyJones
retune from Drop C to standard each time?
If it's same for guitar, that's not good for your neck, and strings won't stay in tune at start.

No pedals? kk, i thought most users here really like bass chorus etc though :P :P

Yeah, I would definitely get thicker strings for this, but I've never had a tuning issue like that affect the neck.

Also, yeah, most of the users here like effects, but most of them like effects just to have effects. Generally, effects aren't going to be heard in a live setting, and if you're in drop C, I'm going to assume you're playing metalcore or deathcore, in which effects aren't really needed / used in the first place. If he's got money left over and wants some, go for it, but just make sure you get the necessities taken care of.
We like effects, but only if the use can be justified, we dont like peeps wasting their money, cuz then peeps have no money

Basically if you dont know wat effect you want, then dont buy an effect til you do, go out and try some, but yeah, chorus is nice, and fuzz to. Those are two that I'd maybe get your bassist to look into...but try before you buy and there's nout wrong with a good clean tone,and I say that as an FX ***** with 7 pedals in my live setup!!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Why not just transpose all the music so he can stay in standard and you can drop tune.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Why not just transpose all the music so he can stay in standard and you can drop tune.

Come on, don't suggest this. It'll make learning the music and sticking together tedious, not to mention that he needs to able to hit that low, open C, which is mainly for chugging. And also, it's going to sound off when he's in the same octave as the guitar. Too much frequency in the same area causes problems, both onstage and in the studio.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=4_string_lefthanded_basses&oa=pra

I can recommend the Ibanez SR300 from that list, I've got the 5 string and it's beautiful.

Not sure why people are suggesting just to re-tune, nothing worse than re-tuning between songs at a gig. And it's not the neck you mess up, it's how slack your strings get, and they can stretch and detune easier if you change tunings often. Not good.

As for strings, I'd look at a 110 or a 115 for the low C. You could get a 5 string set and not use the E string, which would get you a very nice C string, a 120 or 125 would be perfect IMO.
Last edited by baz249 at Jul 4, 2009,
You could get a lefty MIM fender jazz for that price..always a good option
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Can't help but be curious.. how come no 5 string bass?
I mean, from what you describe, a 5'er is a "one bass does all" choice.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Can't help but be curious.. how come no 5 string bass?
I mean, from what you describe, a 5'er is a "one bass does all" choice.

No idea actually, our bassist wants 4 strings :P

EDIT = i was wondering, lets say he would buy a 5-string bass, what tuning would you put them in? Just C-G-C-F-A (assuming guitarists play in drop C) ?
Last edited by ButterflyJones at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by ButterflyJones
No idea actually, our bassist wants 4 strings :P

EDIT = i was wondering, lets say he would buy a 5-string bass, what tuning would you put them in? Just C-G-C-F-A (assuming guitarists play in drop C) ?

Personally, G-C-G-C-F. That low G gives you a lot of low end. You're gonna need some really light strings to pull of your tuning.
Quote by MustangMan311

Also, yeah, most of the users here like effects, but most of them like effects just to have effects.
<.< I resent that.
You said you're playing Katatonia sort of music. In that case the only pedal I can really imagine on bass is a distortion.

I would also recommend get a five-string, to be honest. He's dead-set on another four-string?
Quote by toyboxmonster
<.< I resent that.

Hey, you know it's true. I mean, I have a wah pedal.

...Why the **** do I have a wah pedal? I wanted one!

Quote by baz249
Personally, G-C-G-C-F. That low G gives you a lot of low end. You're gonna need some really light strings to pull of your tuning.

This is what I would go for. The low G is going to be a bitch to play effectively, though.
Quote by baz249

You'd need HEAVY strings for this tuning.

A five string wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially if he didn't want to change basses all the time. He could get a lighter gauge B string(5th string of course) and tune that up to C. Honestly unless he's biamping with an 18" woofer for his lows you aren't gonna get much out of a low G.

On the idea of a 4string. If you can find one with 35" scale it can help improve the tightness of his tone a bit. And it wouldn't need quite as heavy of strings. with the standard 34" I'd probably get a 115 for the low string then 85/90, 65/70, and 45/50. Depending on how tight he wants his strings to be. With a price range and maybe an example of the kind of tone he might be looking for we can get more in depth on models and maybe even brand of strings.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by MustangMan311
Come on, don't suggest this. It'll make learning the music and sticking together tedious, not to mention that he needs to able to hit that low, open C, which is mainly for chugging.

I did this for a long time with my previous band, I played in standard and the guitarist tuned to C#.

Of course I was using a five string, it's not really an option with a four.
Quote by MustangMan311
Hey, you know it's true. I mean, I have a wah pedal.

...Why the **** do I have a wah pedal? I wanted one!

I use a Digiverb, a Carbon Copy, and an MXR El Grande fuzz when I play (all of which are my gf's, btw.
Why? Because all of them provide effects that are necessary to create the sounds I want to use.
Quote by Revelation
You'd need HEAVY strings for this tuning.

A five string wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially if he didn't want to change basses all the time. He could get a lighter gauge B string(5th string of course) and tune that up to C. Honestly unless he's biamping with an 18" woofer for his lows you aren't gonna get much out of a low G.

On the idea of a 4string. If you can find one with 35" scale it can help improve the tightness of his tone a bit. And it wouldn't need quite as heavy of strings. with the standard 34" I'd probably get a 115 for the low string then 85/90, 65/70, and 45/50. Depending on how tight he wants his strings to be. With a price range and maybe an example of the kind of tone he might be looking for we can get more in depth on models and maybe even brand of strings.

I just talked to my bassist, and he's intending to use his other bass (normal tuning, 4strings) still for quite some songs. (Also, going from normal tuning to Drop D isn't really ennoying, so we can do this aswell).

So for his 2nd bass, his favour goes to another 4 string bass, since he will use his other bass too for some songs. And I think he'd better tune it too C-G-C-F. A low C is low enough for the stuff we play. We're all fans of katatonia, but it's not like the bass really stands out there....but maybe listen to 'Animal i've become' from Three days grace, that bass sounds pretty nice.

Also his price range on the bass, is about 500euro max.
I suggest and Active Fender Jazz with Roto Drop Zones (best for drop tuning). As for effects I recomend overdrive (not fuzz, im assuming you're playing metal or hard rock and fuzz never seems to work with that) or and auto/pedal wah (autos are easier to use but pedals are much better once you master them.)
I think not detuning for the sake of it is a good idea. Apart from that anything ibanez, fender etc. etc. you wont notice tone that low anyway. So i say get whatever
Mr-saturn you have a decent point. Unless you can really give your strings good tension, pickups have also picked up those notes less, ive found. Also amps, alot of them do get floppy even producing a really strong e, let alone b or c
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Mr-saturn you have a decent point. Unless you can really give your strings good tension, pickups have also picked up those notes less, ive found. Also amps, alot of them do get floppy even producing a really strong e, let alone b or c

What are you playing on? Super lights? With the right gauge there is no loss in tension.
Right....
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by MustangMan311
Are you ****ing kidding me? Tell me that if you threw on a string typically tuned to B and tuned it UP to a C, you would have a loose string. Bull ****ing ****.

I'm pretty sure he meant a string normally tuned to E, which is what the thread has been talking about for the past few posts.
also, there's always going to be less tension when you loosen a string, but having a suitable gauge allows the tension to remain in a comfortable range
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by MustangMan311
Are you ****ing kidding me? Tell me that if you threw on a string typically tuned to B and tuned it UP to a C, you would have a loose string. Bull ****ing ****.

Quote by Slay 'Em
What are you playing on? Super lights? With the right gauge there is no loss in tension.

Stop it. Music 101- When strings produce a pitch, it is because they are vibrating at a given frequency. An A at concert tuning for example is 440Hz, which means the string vibrates 440 times a second to produce this note. These kids are tuning to drop C(as is the current trend.....pointless) As we all know a low C is ABOUT 32.70Hz, which means this string is vibrating around 33 times a second. I dont care how long your scale is, and what guage strings you have, that thing is going to be soooooo loose. And even if these kids decide to be xXbr00talXx and tune to drop C, you would need an some serious speakers for that. Most mid range 15s only go down to 40hz, so you are really missing that low end fundamental that the bass is supposed to bring to a live context. Even high end 15s will only go to 35hz:\ But hey, we have muddy guitars tuned to drop C to cover up everything