Page 2 of 98
I found all of my father's old records the other day, and let me just say, my father listened to some quality stuff back in the day.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by JacobTheMe
Oh jesus, here it comes. My personal private collection, i've been working on it obsessively for about a year and a half now. I also took the liberty to put them alphabetically.

*list*

Wow, sweetness! Some really good stuff there. I don't know why, but I'd like to have a big collection someday. It just seems...neat. I'll work on my CD collection first though, as I can actually use them at the moment.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
Quote by ub3r_bassist666
Scored it for 30 NZ$ second hand. Thats about 15-20 US$

I really want to get Bedlam, but because its import only its like 90$

It's expensive in the US too for some reason..
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Quote by TheReverend724
im a n00b when it coms to vinyl stuff
so tell me, are there any "advantages" (lack of a better word) to buying vinyls?

Superior sound quality to CDs & Mp3s. That and the novelty of having the Big album art.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by TheReverend724
im a n00b when it coms to vinyl stuff
so tell me, are there any "advantages" (lack of a better word) to buying vinyls?

It's entirely relative. For some, it's a more definite and concrete medium of the music. The sound quality is richer (depending if the LP is taken care of, the needle is fresh, and if the player is in stable condition), and there's a different feel/mood when using them as you are taking time and effort in listening to the music rather than slouching on the couch and hitting play on a whim for your MP3 player. It's more about the experience and sound of it I'd say - but to each their own.

I just like the big art to be honest. I also like how it forces you to listen to the album as a whole, and not a collection of tracks.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have a box of classic rock albums that a friend of my dad's gave me. I don't listen to any of those bands, so I don't really count it in my collection.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by JackWhite333
So, what are some good online vinyl stores for full albums? Links please, and thanks!

I generally avoid buying vinyl online to be honest, it always gets warped in the mail

If there are no record stores near you I guess just check out eBay.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
I have more vinyl than I can list. Between the better half and I we have close to 1900 albums. But remember that was the major format for both of us.

I prefer vinyl for the reasons listed above--the art is so great. You won't see the Roger Dean's and Hipnosis covers anymore because the art is far to intricate or detailed for the current formats. I have albums on vinyl and CD and despite some of the hiss and pop, vinyl does sound richer.

Check out charity shops, goodwills etc as well as used book and record stores. You'd be surprised what you can find.
Ebay is pretty good to give the obvious answer. Vinyl Collective is good for the current punk scene.

I've bought all my vinyl through the mail (as there isn't a record story near me) and I've never had a problem with warping.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Last edited by element4433 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by anarkee
I have more vinyl than I can list. Between the better half and I we have close to 1900 albums. But remember that was the major format for both of us.

I prefer vinyl for the reasons listed above--the art is so great. You won't see the Roger Dean's and Hipnosis covers anymore because the art is far to intricate or detailed for the current formats. I have albums on vinyl and CD and despite some of the hiss and pop, vinyl does sound richer.

Check out charity shops, goodwills etc as well as used book and record stores. You'd be surprised what you can find.

Antique stores will usually also carry a section (perhaps in the back) with carts full of them for $1 - $5 as I've seen.

I forgot to mention (as done here) about the artwork as well. The LP cover is a little treasure in your collection. I remember looking through the covers and insides of my Jethro Tull LP "Thick as a Brick". I read through most of the articles and just enjoyed it. It's something I'll say, the artwork is a plus for authenticity.

Quote by JacobTheMe
Tonight I added Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" to my collection.

I've got that one!

and Zeppelin I, III, and IV,

and The Best of Nat King Cole

And the Blues Brothers soundtrack

and Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.

and Dio's Sacred Heart,

and Hendrix's Band of Gypsies and Axis: Bold as Love

and Claptons Slowhand

and Fleetwood Macs Rumours and self-titled

and Cream's Desrali Gears,

and Rush's 2112

and U2's The Joshua Tree

and BB Kings Greatest Hits and Guess Who

and The Firm (Jimmy Page's Post-Zeppelin Band) Self-Titled.
I am
Immortal

I have inside me

Quote by JackWhite333
So, what are some good online vinyl stores for full albums? Links please, and thanks!

My best advice is to look around your town/nearest city for some locally owned record shops, if you ask around, you might be suprised how many you find.

Here's my collection...
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I've got a couple dozen vinyl records. I have all the Simon & Garfunkel albums on vinyl which I'm actually a bit proud of. Other than that I have some classics like Rumours, Hunky Dory, Dark Side of the Moon, some personal picks and a bit of new stuff.

Latest:

Tim Buckley - Goodbye and Hello

Such a great album.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
The only vinyls i own are Elliot Minor ones.
My name is Vikki. Use it

We took the last train
Out of the city
To plan our great escape
My dad has a pretty sweet vinyl collection. I was playing some today. Some standouts are:

John Lennon - Imagine
Pink Floyd - The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon
Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
Several Bob Dylan records
Several Neil Young records
A couple of supertramp albums

There's a whole massive box of them. The ones I listed are just from memory. There are some great records in there.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I have a Jimi Hendrix album, "The Essential Jimi Hendrix" from the 70s, a couple of Focus records and "The Who Sell Out".

And...

And...!

"THE SOUNDS OF STAR WARS"
Above post may or may not be true.
i started collecting vinyl in january, here is my current collection:

http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=divid3d

only a few people on this forum will know any of those artists/releases haha.

i'll take a pic of my coloured records and picture discs and post them here if this thread is still relatively alive when i remember to do it

Quote by element4433
I also like how it forces you to listen to the album as a whole, and not a collection of tracks.

how so? you can drop the needle anywhere you like... please explain.
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by divid3d

i'll take a pic of my coloured records and picture discs and post them here if this thread is still relatively alive when i remember to do it

No. I've never heard of any of those artists. But that's probably because I go out of my way to search for ambient records and electronica not so much. Lemon Jelly is my favorite electronica group, as clichéd as that is.

Quote by divid3d

I'm pretty sure they meant that you can't just hit a "skip track" option on the turntable. Sure if you really wanted to skip a track you could just drop the needle to a different area of the vinyl. It's just a matter of memorizing where the tacks begin and end. I know most records, if they have the space to permit it, have several seconds of silence between each track indicating a physical space on the vinyl itself as to where the needle should go for a different track.

That's all I know about the matter
Quote by Zaphikh
I'm pretty sure they meant that you can't just hit a "skip track" option on the turntable. Sure if you really wanted to skip a track you could just drop the needle to a different area of the vinyl. It's just a matter of memorizing where the tacks begin and end. I know most records, if they have the space to permit it, have several seconds of silence between each track indicating a physical space on the vinyl itself as to where the needle should go for a different track.

That's all I know about the matter

i find picking up the needle and placing it elsewhere just as easy as pushing a button, so i don't understand his comment.

you don't even need to place the needle in the space between two tracks, you can read the grooves and place it at a particular point during a song if you like (which is even easier than doing the equivalent action using cds where you have to hold a button and skip through the song).
from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by divid3d

Nice man, you have some sweet albums. Are you a DJ?

I love vinyl...i have a few different turntables. Although I have much more digital music and CD's, I just like to play records when I'm just chilling out listening to music.

Vinyl just feels like much more of an experience - going out crate-diving or to nice record shops, putting it on, finding the right groove with the needle, flipping the vinyl over etc...

Plus I always think it's a bit of a cheat when DJ's don't have any vinyl, or don't know how to mix and scratch properly on vinyl
Gotta love vinyl, we sit in our studio listening to old dire straits, metallica or ozzy records, it's much more of an event than a CD
Quote by SouthLondonSam
Nice man, you have some sweet albums. Are you a DJ?

learning to mix yeah i have a couple of these gorgeous babies:

from daylight...
...into darkness
Quote by divid3d
i find picking up the needle and placing it elsewhere just as easy as pushing a button, so i don't understand his comment.

Well then, I suppose it's subjective then as to what is easy and what isn't.

Quote by divid3d
you don't even need to place the needle in the space between two tracks, you can read the grooves and place it at a particular point during a song if you like (which is even easier than doing the equivalent action using cds where you have to hold a button and skip through the song).

I assumed the user was talking about MP3 tracks on a computer and not a CD player, in which case (comparing it to the CD player) a turntable is much more versatile in selecting what portion of the song is to be played.
Quote by divid3d
learning to mix yeah i have a couple of these gorgeous babies:

nice man, good luck. I started mixing quite recently too, it's so much fun
I started two weeks ago, so far I've got

Rush - Moving Pictures ($0.99)
Pink Floyd - The Wall ($0.49)
Led Zeppelin IV ($2.99)
Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle ($0.99)

is that good?
The Wall has tape on it (the cover) and the cover to Fly Like An Eagle is a bit bent-ish
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by SouthLondonSam
nice man, good luck. I started mixing quite recently too, it's so much fun

haha thanks, good luck to you too!

damn now i wish i was at home and not at work so i could have a mix! bummer!
from daylight...
...into darkness
i have 3 pinkfloyd records (DSOTM, the wall, and a nice pair) also have the jimi hendrix experience smash hits, sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band, some eric clapton, some willie nelson etc. etc.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
I've always wanted to try DJing. I know absolutly nothing about it though.

This is my new favorite thread.

*stickied*
Quote by JacobTheMe
I've always wanted to try DJing. I know absolutly nothing about it though.

This is my new favorite thread.

*stickied*

the best way to understand it is to watch DJs in action, speak to them, and listen to mixes so you can hear what the DJ is doing.

if you have any questions i'd be happy to try and answer them
from daylight...
...into darkness