Page 1 of 2
I was hoping someone might have some info about these guitars. I went in to Guitar Center looking for and Epi LP. Of course the salesman did his job and showed me this guitar. He told me it was a Gutiar Center exclusive color and made to their spec with the coil taps an ebony fretboard and grover tuners. I didn't necessarily believe him, but last night I really couldn't find any information online about them. The only 2 places that were selling them were Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. This is my first Gibson and I'm mighty impressed.

VERY nice! i haven't seen this color on a studio model either. silverburst, ebony fretboard, AND trapezoid inlays on a studio model! i normally hate the studios, but this thing is insane. nice catch dude
Nice. I've never seen a Studio that awesome.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
what? well most studios had regular trap inlays, the new ones have mini ones which just suck. that's insane. i've never heard of a gibson studio silverburst w. ebony fretboard and those knobs. looks more like a gibson custom. that's awesome
thats the best looking studio ive ever seen, not too big on silverburst finishes though
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The guitar was marked $1299 and it was on "the list" for $1187. I worked them down a few more dollars and paid $1,150.
my buddy just got the same one. we had no idea it had a coil tap. guess we'll find out when he gets here
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Gibsons always tend to satisfy as long as you don't a lemon.

Nice guitar
very very nice
i still prefer this one though

but with the features on yours it makes it a hella nice deal
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
That looks pretty nice . I feel like the salesman is a liar for saying it's a GC exclusive finish, though.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by steve!
very very nice
i still prefer this one though

but with the features on yours it makes it a hella nice deal

that just doesn't look right without binding, the silverburst looks fine without it though
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Freakin' awesome finish, and with those features...

I'm so jealous right now HNGD!!
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Damn you! Thats an awsome guitar!
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I love LP's. That is a very sweet lookin axe you picked up.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I tried out various Les Paul standards & studios for about 4 hours at GC yesterday (including the new silverburst).

The silverburst has nice features (the coil taps, fancy paint job), but the two i tried were suspiciously light and the wood was kind of dead sounding IMO. Relatively little sustain and kind of muddy too.

Most of the studios I tried also sounded a little muddy compared to the standards and traditionals. But I was very happy finally find & buy a studio (alpine white) that really sang. Nice note definition, excellent sustain. Almost as good sounding as a standard but $1000+ less. Just wish it didn't have a painted neck (kind of sticky when new).

There's almost no info on the silverburst on the net, but I can't help thinking that the fancy paint job and coil taps for the same $$$ as the other studios mean that corners have been cut in other places (wood quality, too much chambering, etc).

Of course it's totally possible that the two silverbursts I tried were duds & they usually *are* nicer than the other studios. Hard to generalize since Gibson has such random quality control.
Quote by dgallina
There's almost no info on the silverburst on the net, but I can't help thinking that the fancy paint job and coil taps for the same $$$ as the other studios mean that corners have been cut in other places (wood quality, too much chambering, etc).

i think it's probably easier to do a silverburst finish than the sunburst finishes on the other studios, and coil taps don't cost them any more at all to install - it's just a bit of extra wiring and using a push/pull pot. the ebony fretboard however... but i think gibson still have a fair profit margin on them anyway, and if they are a limited run exclusive to GC and MF then that's probably why they are the same price - gibson won't lose so much potential profit if they aren't being sold elsewhere too!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Welcome to the Gibson club
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
VERY nice! i haven't seen this color on a studio model either. silverburst, ebony fretboard, AND trapezoid inlays on a studio model! i normally hate the studios, but this thing is insane. nice catch dude

agreed! it's a very nice guitar!
That's a mighty nice studio. I think there's too much silver on the body closer to the neck. The custom ones look right to me, but if she plays nice, good buy.
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Quote by dgallina

If anything, it would have less chambering, because of obvous reasons that you didn't see

Nice guitar duude
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by toppsseller
The guitar was marked $1299 and it was on "the list" for $1187. I worked them down a few more dollars and paid $1,150.

First off im totally jealous. i played one of these in a guitarcenter a few months back and it is truely a beautiful instrument.

Second. thats not a bad price for gibson but nothing beats my Gibby LP std for only 350.. muwahahahahahahaha....... yup u can hate me its ok..
Quote by LPshredder91
First off im totally jealous. i played one of these in a guitarcenter a few months back and it is truely a beautiful instrument.

Second. thats not a bad price for gibson but nothing beats my Gibby LP std for only 350.. muwahahahahahahaha....... yup u can hate me its ok..

Yes.Now i do hate you .
TS, i salute you !
cool guitar... I can't really say I've ever really liked the silver burst finish myself.
matt heafy is using one of these at the moment...

i dunno if any of you are really crash hot on matt.

but yeah i thought id drop that in
Not a bad guitar sir. Nice pick.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I'm going to add my few thoughts because I just picked one up at the Guitar Center last week.... Mainly to add clarity and to point out the unique features.

First off, I was not looking for a Studio because they have the fat 50's neck that I do not like. This particular model noes NOT have a 50's neck but rather a much thinner close to the 60's slim. I am going to stop short of calling it a 60's neck because there is nothing offical to tell me this other than my feel and the salesperson confirming it is thinner. The website (GC) says its a 50's rounded, but I think thats just a standard description for Studios. Trust me, the neck is THINNER than than other Studios.

Next, the Ebony fretboard is very nice and looks great with the inlays. Most Studios without binding on the neck feels rough where the fretboard meets the neck, however even without the binding, this one is pretty darn smooth.

The push/pull pots did it for me. I've been waiting to pick up an LP Standard for a while now but saw that the Traditional Pro now came with split coil ability stock. The fact that this feature was available on the Studio just made it better.

Now lets get to the weight. I expected to pick up the newer (post '06) LPs and for them to be pretty light with the chambering. I am not saying that this Studio is NOT chambered, all I am saying is that its definately a bit heavier than another regular Studio and a Standard model i compared it with. (when I mean heavier, we are talking oz.)

Aside from the asthetics, the guitar plays great and will need to play around with it more to explore the combination of tones you can get with the splt coils.

The fact that this is a Guitar Center (and all its web companies) exclusive, its truly a shame that its not available world wide. This is what all Studios should be like.
Last edited by Ljk825 at Aug 21, 2009,
Quote by Ljk825
I'm going to add my few thoughts because I just picked one up at the Guitar Center last week.... Mainly to add clarity and to point out the unique features.

First off, I was not looking for a Studio because they have the fat 50's neck that I do not like. This particular model noes NOT have a 50's neck but rather a much thinner close to the 60's slim. I am going to stop short of calling it a 60's neck because there is nothing offical to tell me this other than my feel and the salesperson confirming it is thinner. The website (GC) says its a 50's rounded, but I think thats just a standard description for Studios. Trust me, the neck is THINNER than than other Studios.

Next, the Ebony fretboard is very nice and looks great with the inlays. Most Studios without binding on the neck feels rough where the fretboard meets the neck, however even without the binding, this one is pretty darn smooth.

The push/pull pots did it for me. I've been waiting to pick up an LP Standard for a while now but saw that the Traditional Pro now came with split coil ability stock. The fact that this feature was available on the Studio just made it better.

Now lets get to the weight. I expected to pick up the newer (post '06) LPs and for them to be pretty light with the chambering. I am not saying that this Studio is NOT chambered, all I am saying is that its definately a bit heavier than another regular Studio and a Standard model i compared it with. (when I mean heavier, we are talking oz.)

Aside from the asthetics, the guitar plays great and will need to play around with it more to explore the combination of tones you can get with the splt coils.

The fact that this is a Guitar Center (and all its web companies) exclusive, its truly a shame that its not available world wide. This is what all Studios should be like.

there's bound to be some leftovers when they discontinue it. like the studio vintage mahogany was supposed to be a GC exclusive yet a couple of them managed to find their way into my local shop
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Ljk825

thomann.de will add it to their product list pretty soon, so it will also be available in Europe!! I'm so getting one!
come on! go and play some mastodon!!! I would do im unhappy now... I want your guitar
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
That bit about the color being a Guitar Center exclusive is bull.
A nice guitar, nevertheless.
Page 1 of 2