is $795 a fair price for the head? also what kinds of music is it mainly suited for?

and also whats a fair selling price for my Vox AD50VT combo?
795 isn't too bad, i have one and it's mainly suited towards blues / blues rock type stuff but it can get pretty high gain. The cleans imo are really nice though especially with some reverb put on there. The crunch channel can get abit muddy, i set mine with mids on full, treble pretty high and bass about halfway and presence to taste tbh. It's a good amp though and the muddyness would be less of an issue if i had the space to raise it off the ground.
$795 is way too much. They've been selling in the $500-600 range on eBay.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, thats a lot. Definitely get the seller to go lower.

You could probably Vox for about $350ish depending on its condition.
Quote by The_Bosstone
You could probably Vox for about $350ish depending on its condition.

What?

That's more than it costs new...

You'd be lucky to get $200 for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i got mine for 800 CAD, 3 months old...try to get less, as its likely been used somewhat well
i've been playing megadeth (well, she-wolf) with my band on the crunch channel with the gain dimed, with my tele (Pearly Gates in the bridge.) the lead channel can get you plenty of gain, i just use it for ****s and gigs now and then.

cleans are quite nice. slight delay with the footswitch, takes a while to get used to but i dont find it to be a problem
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by Zoot Allures
795 isn't too bad, i have one and it's mainly suited towards blues / blues rock type stuff but it can get pretty high gain. The cleans imo are really nice though especially with some reverb put on there. The crunch channel can get abit muddy, i set mine with mids on full, treble pretty high and bass about halfway and presence to taste tbh. It's a good amp though and the muddyness would be less of an issue if i had the space to raise it off the ground.

do you know how to eq?

the reason it's muddy is cause your bass and treble are so far apart, a Marshall + that much mids would be pretty honky.

1st rule of eqing an amp, set everything to 12 o'clock, 2nd rule, never take your bass and treble more than one apart. you'll end up with a muddy tone, eg, 7 treble, 6 bass.

my personal experience with tsl's is you gotta watch your gain. it's definitely got enough to do metal. but if your eq isn't right when your putting that much gain through it, it gets really messy. keep it nice and tight. watch your mids cause like all Marshalls it'll get really honky really fast. and your presence should be used to tighten it up a little bit.

there are some reliability issues cause they heatwave solder everything. so sometimes the connections aren't fantastic and thats fairly cheap to get a tech to redo if anything goes wrong.

all in all a good amp, dont be expecting a jcm800 out of the box cause thats not what they are... sometimes they get pretty dog reviews cause 13y/o sitdown for an half an hour in the music store, play them for a bit, it feeds back at them cause 1) they dont know how to use anything that isnt solid state or 2) they're use to a tame high gain american thing that will do exactly what it's told. but there is a bit of hum on some higher gain settings.

all in all a great workhorse amp, good versatility.

hope i've helped

lots of love,
Preston
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
i got my tsl122 off ebay for $750 or $800, and now that i look back i overpaid a little bit. so i think $795 is asking too much
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
My TSL602 is on the way Same amp but combo version. I got it for 700 after shipping without the footswitch, probably woulda paid 750 if it had the footswitch. Id say 600-650 is what you should pay for the head. The lead singer (rhythm guitarist) of one of my favorite bands, The Expendables, used a TSL60 for a long time and it sounds great, the lead guitarist uses a triple rec and they both sound just as good as each other. They tour nationally so it's been reliable for him I'm assuming. I think he recently upgraded amps though (when I saw them live a few weeks ago).

EDIT: The footswitch is REALLY expensive. I just bid 95 + 12 shipping on one and lost on eBay last night. Its $130 new online. I might just do that and get the manufacturers warranty because I've heard of reliability issues from the footswitch. But pay accordingly by whether a footswitch is included or not.
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by The_Bosstone

The TS is selling the now discontinued valvetronix model. The newer VT series sell for that much on the 50 watt version, but the AD series has much lower selling value now that is discontinued. So a selling price of about $200-$250 is good. As for that head, about $600 would be better.