So I recently started learning theory, and consistently practice on an acoustic. Acoustic strings broke so I switched back to electric.

But I can't seem to bring myself to practice the songs I am performing with my band in 2 weeks...
They bore me.
They were stupidly easy in the first place, but now that I've switched back to electric, they're hard.
And I can't manage to sit down and practice the parts I can't get right.

I've tried and tried.. any suggestions...?

Edit: easy way to say that...

I can't focus on cover songs. I prefer just playing/improvising now. Practicing scales and chords doesn't seem right on an electric either.
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Last edited by Bubbles203 at Jul 4, 2009,
You just need better self discipline. I don't like scale exercises either but I still do them every day.
if you like improvising, try adding variations to the song. the whole point of a cover is to make it your own and not sound like the original. good luck!
LEEDLE LEEDLE LEEDLE LEE
if you dont want to play those ****ty songs, then dont play them. explain, your bandmates, that the songs do not satisfy you and suggest playing something more interesting. after all two weeks is a long time.
Quote by metalonastrat
if you dont want to play those ****ty songs, then dont play them. explain, your bandmates, that the songs do not satisfy you and suggest playing something more interesting. after all two weeks is a long time.

not if theres a gig in 2 weeks.
TS just play them and explain to your band that after 2 weeks you don't wanna play those songs.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Every great athlete practices. They wouldn't be great if they didn't.

If you want to improve, there is only one way.

Everybody gets in a rut. If you have the songs down tight, practice something else.
Quote by DirtyMakik
...Clerks ref goes *here*... will edit when I find the proper one...

Quote by BassGoddess
*clicks lighter and offers flame*
Quote by Bubbles203
So I recently started learning theory, and consistently practice on an acoustic. Acoustic strings broke so I switched back to electric.

But I can't seem to bring myself to practice the songs I am performing with my band in 2 weeks...
They bore me.
They were stupidly easy in the first place, but now that I've switched back to electric, they're hard.
And I can't manage to sit down and practice the parts I can't get right.
If anything you'd think they'd be easier on electric because the strings are typically lighter gauge and the neck is usually thinner

And if those songs bore you you probably should have said something to begin with. But you've made a commitment now and you're bandmates will probably be seriously pissed off if you say you don't want to play those songs with only two weeks left.

EDIT: Wait why can't you buy new strings?
Quote by Nietsche
If anything you'd think they'd be easier on electric because the strings are typically lighter gauge and the neck is usually thinner

And if those songs bore you you probably should have said something to begin with. But you've made a commitment now and you're bandmates will probably be seriously pissed off if you say you don't want to play those songs with only two weeks left.

EDIT: Wait why can't you buy new strings?

I did.
Electric just plain feel odd, like I have to reach or something now

In any case, thanks all.

I like the songs, I just don't like playing them

I'll crack down and practice on electric anyways.
Maybe get used to it again
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Quote by metalonastrat

you can't always satisfy everyone in the band.
I suggest that during these songs, if they are 'stupidly easy' you concentrate on how you look. Some of the bands I've been in choose these songs that have only three chords in it. At these times I dance and jumpm around the stage. I walk up to the singers and do somebooty shakin' jazz.
Also, why don't you jazz up the chords/rhythm a little. Maybe add some #9s (hendrix classic) or whatever.
Unless you are a tribute band, the songs on't have to sound EXACTLY like the original, put your own touch to it.