Hi there.

I've decided I want to play 70/80's rock and therefore I have decided that I need an explorer and a marshall.

Now, should I buy an Epiphone Explorer and put alot of money into a good Marshall
Or should I buy a Gibson Explorer and buy like a JCM900?

By the way; I will change the pickups to JB ones no matter what I buy.
Last edited by Danyg at Jul 4, 2009,
If a JCM900 isn't a good Marshall, what is?

I'm really asking this, i've always knew the JCM900 was an excellent Marshall amp.

EDIT: reading about JCM900, i learned about the stigma it carries
Last edited by ezequielgdl at Jul 4, 2009,
What's your budget? You could get a used Gibson Explorer and a JCM 800 which would do you just fine... don't bother with the new Marshall stuff, it's awful - especially when you pay 2K for a new JCM 800 when you could get an actual '80s one for less than half the price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by tim_mop
what gear have you got already?

+1

If you have a decent guitar, I would say get the nice amp. A good guitar won't make as much of a difference as a good amp will.
Where I come from (Denmark) there are no used explorers.

The dream is Gibson Explorer coupled with an old one-channel JCM 800 (2203 I guess?)

Problem is the overprice on everything here in Europe. My budget is 1875$ (1350&euro
I havn't really used an amp so far. Headphones through a POD. I'm selling my current guitar to afford a new guitar + amp (my current one is a JEM7VWH which I bought second hand for an excellent price)
I just read the title and i think that you should put money in neither of the two, put your money in a wallet.
Quote by rorypearce
"Orange amp owners unite"?

......form of... Tiny terror

Quote by CullenT
^

WIN!
right, so amp is essential.

Are you gigging at all? or do you plan to be?
what is your total budget??
im sure i can balance it out
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I've done some gigs (5-6 over 2 years) but I've always lend an amp and micced it.
Go for the amp. You can play what you want easily with your current guitar.
You have a ****in JEM keep that baby.

Get a nice amp and you'll be set. Then get another guitar. Just don't sell the guitar!
Quote by ChrisBW
You have a ****in JEM keep that baby.

Get a nice amp and you'll be set. Then get another guitar. Just don't sell the guitar!

I've been thinking that too - The guitar itself is awesome. Awesome playability, look, feel and sound. The problem is that the tone is not what I'm looking for, and I can't get myself to change the pickups
Well in my experience, I've regretted most of the guitar gear I've sold... even my Epiphone Les Paul.
Quote by Danyg
I've been thinking that too - The guitar itself is awesome. Awesome playability, look, feel and sound. The problem is that the tone is not what I'm looking for, and I can't get myself to change the pickups

When you get a good amp it probably won't make nearly as much of a difference.
Oh man, I'll never afford a new amp :/ Oh well I think I'll keep the JEM then.

Thanks for all the helpfull advice people. UG ROCKS!