I have a strat that I am either going to place a bridge humbucker in or do the Ultra Strat Mod to. One of the Ultra Strat Mod's features is series and parallel switching, which is supposed to make the neck and middle arrangement sound like a neck humbucker and the middle and bridge arrangement sound like a bridge humbucker. Or so I've heard. I wanted to know if anyone had experience in this mod or series and parallel wiring with single coils. What should I do to my strat and how do the "humbuckers" sound?
parallel wiring is just the usual positions 2 and 4 on a strat's 5-way switch, i think. you probably already know how that sounds- kind of hollow, a little phasey, kind of thing.

series just ups the output and makes it sound a bit fatter. It doesn't sound exactly like a humbucker, though- closer to one, but not exact. It's kind of the opposite thing to coil splits on a humbucker, which sound a lot closer to a single coil, but again not exact.

Basically (the way I'd consider it, anyway), if the humbucker tone is your main priority, just get a real humbucker in there. If you only use a humbucker tone occasionally and the single coil tones are still your main priority, go with the series wiring and it might suffice for the little you need that humbucker tone.

EDIT: i think Fender USA deluxe strats have series wiring, as an extra switching option. if you can find one of those in a shop, you can try it first. Head over to the fender website to make sure you know which switch setting gets you the series mode, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 4, 2009,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an American Deluxe Strat. I rarely use the parallel wiring because I have other guitars and that one is mainly for strat tones. Some of the positions do sound really good. It's not like a humbucker but it's it's own thing.