Hi Guys, i have a Question about Speep Picking.

When i play this 3 string lick and playing repeat it, should it be an Upstroke or an Downstroke at the "9" (with the big "V" under)?
Because, when i start the lick, it's first an Downstroke, but then i don't know if i should keep the Downstroke or always making an Upstroke after the start.
What is the correct way?
My teacher says it's a must be to keep the Donwstroke at the "9".

e-------7-10-7p---------7-- etc....
b-----8-----------8----8----
g-9------------------9------
---^--^-^-v-------v-V ^ ^

Or is this right?
e-------7-10-7p---------7-- etc....
b-----8-----------8----8----
g-9------------------9------
---^---^-^-v-------v-^ ^ ^

Thanks guys.
Last edited by compin at Jul 4, 2009,
its a preference thing really, some people find that turning round on the 9 would accent it, and so depending on the piece you might want to do it that way, once you've developed your technique enough you should be able to do it either way- when i started out with sweeping i just practised chord shapes

e.g

e-----------7--
B--------8-----
G-----9--------

did it up a few times, down a few times, then started doing that back to back just to get the technique down, nice and slow in clean with a click. its all about taking it slowly, and adding bit by bit! patience is a virtue, make sure you do it right :P

little example of my lead playing
if you think the sweeping in that is good then, i've just explained how i taught myself
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
Last edited by anacrucix at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by anacrucix

did it up a few times, down a few times, then started doing that back to back just to get the technique down, nice and slow in clean with a click. its all about taking it slowly, and adding bit by bit! patience is a virtue, make sure you do it right :P

Yes i know, i always play this with an metronome and practice this with distortion clean as hell
But i can't decide if i keep the Downstroke at the "9" or if i should make an Upstroke.
For me i can play both ways slowly and clean.
But my teacher says it's a must be do make an Downstroke always on the 9.
Quote by compin
Yes i know, i always play this with an metronome and practice this with distortion clean as hell
But i can't decide if i keep the Downstroke at the "9" or if i should make an Upstroke.
For me i can play both ways slowly and clean.
But my teacher says it's a must be do make an Downstroke always on the 9.

really it's good to learn both, if you learn to do it only one way then you'll find it harder to learn later when you want to do 2 note turnarounds at the bottom

e.g

e|-----------7--10--7---------------7-10
B|--------8--------------8--------8---------
G|-----9-------------------9---7------------ etc...

..........^.^.^.v...p.....v..v....^.^.^.v
personnaly, I upstroke the 9
and also, thry to make the 10 with a hammer-on - pull-off, I found it to increase my playing speed
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
For me both ways are the same, i can play both ways very cleanly at a slow tempo.
So maybe I should practice it with both ways like this:

Day 1: Practice the "9" with an Downstroke only.
Day 2: Practice the "9" with an Upstroke only.
Day 3: Practice the "9" with an Downstroke only.
Day 4: Upstroke etc...

Is this an good idea?
Always my Teacher says(he was on the G.I.T btw) i should always make an Downstroke

EDIT: anacrucix: you sound awesome in the Link, how long do you play?
It's entirely personal preference. Practice both for a while and see whichever feels best to you.
I used to wonder the same kind of thing. As an above poster said it's preference and can make some dynamic differences. I generally downstroke it, but it's a little trickier to teach yourself to downstroke right there. You can upstroke it too, but you have to make sure you can get back on the downstrokes for the next notes. And then just do the old simple answers now: Slowly, metronome, slowly build speed. Practice, practice, practice.
Quote by compin

EDIT: anacrucix: you sound awesome in the Link, how long do you play?

Thanks for the kind words man, I've had a guitar for probably about 7 or 8 years- but i always just played powerchords till about 4 years ago when someone showed me Symphony X, and I realised for the first time that there was more to life than powerchords- so I've been playing properly for about 4 years.

if your teacher says always do a downstroke and that puzzles you, the best thing to do is to ask him, and make sure you let us know what he says cause i'm interested to find out!
Quote by anacrucix
Thanks for the kind words man, I've had a guitar for probably about 7 or 8 years- but i always just played powerchords till about 4 years ago when someone showed me Symphony X, and I realised for the first time that there was more to life than powerchords- so I've been playing properly for about 4 years.

if your teacher says always do a downstroke and that puzzles you, the best thing to do is to ask him, and make sure you let us know what he says cause i'm interested to find out!

Nice Nice...
btw; do you know guitar legend buckethead(very inspiring)? If not i can send you a PM with some cool Links

Okay i can ask him why he says i should do an downstroke.
But i have school holidays now and no guitar teaching
But in a few weeks it starts again and i will tell you guys what he says.

Already Thanks for all the Answers
yeah bucket head is pretty decent man! he played with guns and roses for a bit but i've seen loads of youtube videos of him!

i'd recommend chceking out michael romeo from symphony x -if you haven't checked him out, he's the guitarist that got me interested in playing lead guitar- theres loads of cheesy videos of him from the 90s on youtube!