Page 1 of 2
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmi Hendrix, Esteban Echeverría, Jimmy Page, BB King, Carlos Santana
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmi Hendrix, Esteban Echeverría, Jimmy Page, BB King, Carlos Santana

that's the same i found when i googled it there are definetly some good ones there
Quote by britishsligean
that's the same i found when i googled it there are definetly some good ones there

that was the first link that popped up when i googled it
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Dave Mustaine
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman
Muhammed Suiçmez

Alot of guys are self-taught
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by diofan88
Chris Broderick

I think Loomis is too.

Chuck Schuldiner springs to mind.
Quote by Metalfan41
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Dave Mustaine
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman
Muhammed Suiçmez

kirk hammett was not self taught. satriani taught him for a while and was even said by satch, to be his worse student he ever had

kirk hammett is an idiot when it comes to guitar playing
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Tommy emannuel, he doesn't know any theory... have any real education. And started out with bass... goes to show that anyone... and I mean ANYONE can become good. He just was lucky enough to be born into a musical family... and have a patient attitude. That, and about 45 years... has gotten him where he his today.
I never have difficulty 'performing' it right away with whistles, hums, 'grunts' and percussion.
Quote by Koshman32
kirk hammett was not self taught. satriani taught him for a while and was even said by satch, to be his worse student he ever had

kirk hammett is an idiot when it comes to guitar playing

Hammett is self taugth. He took lessons for Satch just before he joined Metallica
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by mndzw25
True lol

YouTube search "Kirk Hammett- Embarassing Blunder" it shows how much trouble he has trying to learn a supper easy riff James wrote
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Hammett is a great guitarist and he knew how to play before he took satrianis lessons...also Slash was self taught I think
Quote by webbtje
I think Loomis is too.

Chuck Schuldiner springs to mind.

nah loomis wasn't self taut
chuck?that i dnt know about
me.......
People are strange when youre a stranger
Faces look ugly when youre alone
Women seem wicked when youre unwanted
Streets are uneven when youre down
Quote by GT_Baller
Hammett is a great guitarist and he knew how to play before he took satrianis lessons...also Slash was self taught I think

I'm not saying he's horrible or anything, he's just not really good. He did some great things back in the day, but now he doesn't have anything new. All his solos are so similar. Fast, lots of notes, lots of wah wah.

I wonder what the world would be like if they didn't kick Dave Mustaine out of the band. But then again, we wouldn't have Megadeth
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Just because you don't have a teacher doesn't make you self taught. To be self taught they would have to never have looked at a book, tape, watched a guitarist play. They would wouldn't know a scale by name or a chord by name. I've never had a teacher but I've always learned from books and a dvd or two or playing with guitarists better than myself. I think self taught has become too much of some sort of badge of honor to some people. I agree that someone who has learned from different sources and learned possibly in a more unorthodox way might be alittle more slated to write more creatively but if this is the case their music should speak more powerfully than any idea such as being "self taught".
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
that douche-bag lead player from ACDC, I read an interview of him saying that up until about 2000 he didn't even know what the names of the open chords and power chords he was playing were.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Koshman32
I wonder what the world would be like if they didn't kick Dave Mustaine out of the band. But then again, we wouldn't have Megadeth

Ehh, Dave's best solos are about the same as Kirks solos are now, back in the 80s Dave had nothing on Hammett
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by Metalfan41
Ehh, Dave's best solos are about the same as Kirks solos are now, back in the 80s Dave had nothing on Hammett

Either way, the only good Metallica, is old Metallica (Kill 'Em All - Black Album)
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by metalheadblues
nah loomis wasn't self taut

Could have sworn that I read he was somewhere. Never moinde.
Quote by webbtje
Could have sworn that I read he was somewhere. Never moinde.

nah the majority of his family is musicians and he had teachers but like all virtuosos he was better..Just look up some jeff loomis interview from the super shred dvd and i think its there..good looks with the depression btw
Quote by Slanderous666
Just because you don't have a teacher doesn't make you self taught. To be self taught they would have to never have looked at a book, tape, watched a guitarist play. They would wouldn't know a scale by name or a chord by name. I've never had a teacher but I've always learned from books and a dvd or two or playing with guitarists better than myself. I think self taught has become too much of some sort of badge of honor to some people. I agree that someone who has learned from different sources and learned possibly in a more unorthodox way might be alittle more slated to write more creatively but if this is the case their music should speak more powerfully than any idea such as being "self taught".

This.

There are generally no "self-taught" guitarists. Hendrix even went to B.B King and asked him to show some of his licks. Hendrix then went and copied B.B King's style perfectly.

Like the guy I quoted said, unless you've never looked at a DVD, Book, other guitarists, basically you just sat in a room with no musical help or experience, you are not self-taught.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
This.

There are generally no "self-taught" guitarists. Hendrix even went to B.B King and asked him to show some of his licks. Hendrix then went and copied B.B King's style perfectly.

Like the guy I quoted said, unless you've never looked at a DVD, Book, other guitarists, basically you just sat in a room with no musical help or experience, you are not self-taught.

Also, about Hendrix in general for some reason many people say he didn't even know theory when in actuality he was quite fluent in musical theory. Don't get me wrong Hendrix was a pioneer in rock music and guitar playing but this comes from both his level of creativity and talent and a knowledge of theory and scales and all that stuff that we hate to learn but improves our playing.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Koshman32

I can't really deny that, but when did Joe Say that? o.o
Quote by Slanderous666
Also, about Hendrix in general for some reason many people say he didn't even know theory when in actuality he was quite fluent in musical theory. Don't get me wrong Hendrix was a pioneer in rock music and guitar playing but this comes from both his level of creativity and talent and a knowledge of theory and scales and all that stuff that we hate to learn but improves our playing.

Yes to this too. Although I don't think he knew as much theory as say Satriani, Vai, or Eric Johnson. I think the most he knew is how scales are made up, the notes of the fretboard, and how they work together.
It would be more efficient to ask which guitar players are NOT self-taught- if such a thing really exist. There's nothing wrong with taking professional lessons; it's just a matter of how much access you have to other guitar players to learn from- learning in person really makes a difference in whether or not you spend 10 years approaching your potential or a life time of reading books and now watching youtube lessons-

So if you have access to somebody who plays the way you want to play someday or even next week- then by all means learn from them as much as possible, but if they play in a style that is not where you want to go then it might not be a good thing to waste time learning theory or things that aren't what you want to get out of it.

I would advise anybody to mix it up with other like guitarists- good or bad- because you can learn something from anybody and everybody and that's a good thing if it's the genre that you aspire to- and you can take what you learn and incorperate it into your own playing style- what's really important is how you choose to express what you learn- in a reasonably original way- or if you just cough up exactly what you've learned. Nothing is 100% original...

That's the approach Stevie took when he "learned" guitar- he listened to all the greats and learned all his favorite licks and more importantly the "techniques" from each of them and then took it to another level of intensity by playing so often that he could do so without even thinking- they say he just flowed like he was an open channel.

I think maybe too much theory is not such a good thing - it's more about feeling and playing without thinking- and that means not intellectualizing too much- far more important is lot's of exposure to similar minded musicians who can give feedback and then plenty of practice.

If you hear something and you like it- then I say use it!!! There's no shame in that- in fact you honor the person you emulate when you're up-front about it. That's what gives the blues a living spirit that can be passed on from one generation to the next.

Of coarse, the flip side of that is sharing and giving back what you've learned- some people closely guard what they've learned and won't repeat a lick slow or up close for anybody- and that is a shame!

Somewhere out there is a kid playing the sht out of his guitar and he's learning from SRV and he's gonna be even better- if you can fathom that. . . well, someday.

Sorry, for the long winded post...
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Jul 5, 2009,
I've always found the more 'interesting' guitarists - particularly in metal - are self taught. I believe that a teacher usually limits a player to what they believe is best to learn - not what comes naturally to the actual player. A teacher can teach you techniques and songs, but it won't really help you much in terms of your ability to improvise and jam.

That's just my opinion on the matter, however.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Quote by Slanderous666

I think most guitarists are self-taught (i.e., they did not attend a music school of some sort and don't take lessons on a regular basis) -- very few have any sort of formal or consistent education.
Quote by suhraddict
I think most guitarists are self-taught (i.e., they did not attend a music school of some sort and don't take lessons on a regular basis) -- very few have any sort of formal or consistent education.

I think there is a big difference between claiming to be self taught and claiming to be informally educated on their instrument. I think saying someone has had informal training on the guitar is much more accurate than saying they are self taught. I'm sure we have all seen the hordes of young UGer's that make threads mainly to tell us all they are self taught and expect some sort of respect for this. Just bothered me for some reason and I have never had a formal teacher, just many informal ones be it someone I've jammed with over the years or someone in a magazine or listening to someones album or watching them play.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Metalfan41
James Hetfield
Kirk Hammett
Dave Mustaine
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman
Muhammed Suiçmez

so taking lessons by joe satch is being self taught...
Page 1 of 2