I have an Ibanez RGA121 with (apparently) Gotoh 550 tuning pegs on it, but they lose their tuning very quickly. I wanted to swap them out with locking tuners and on musicians friend i narrowed it down to Sperzel Locking Tuners (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sperzel-6-InLine-Locking-Tuners?sku=361009#new) or Schaller Locking Tuners (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schaller-Locking-Tuning-Machine-Heads-6-Inline-?sku=360387#new).

i was wondering if these would fit. i dont know if tuning gears are different sizes, but it looks like they might fit.

any help on this is appreciated
i have the same guitar, and many ppl have problem with the tunning stability. its more of the nut that is set up badly. wat you can do is next time you change strings use a sharp pencil or mechanical one and rub graphite on the string slots of the nut that should lube it, or you could get the nut set up and cut better. this will keep the strings from bending outta tune, i did this and the tunners stay in tune for weeks
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
you need to find some locking tuners with the same screw angle as the gotohs. the schallers wont fit if i recal correctly because they dont even use screws
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by whoswt
i have the same guitar, and many ppl have problem with the tunning stability. its more of the nut that is set up badly. wat you can do is next time you change strings use a sharp pencil or mechanical one and rub graphite on the string slots of the nut that should lube it, or you could get the nut set up and cut better. this will keep the strings from bending outta tune, i did this and the tunners stay in tune for weeks

ill give this a try right now. the strings are new as of yesterday
yea its okay to be generous with the graphite :P
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
hmm... its not really working, im rubbing that pencil in there pretty hard but still, all i do is a full step bend and the E and B strings go out of tune about a full half step. wouldn't locking tuners stop this from happening?
Neither. Grover. 18:1. Drop in. No special clamps or dials or other gizmos. Just pull the string through and tune to pitch.

Like someone else said earlier though, look at replacing your nut with a Graphtec one before tuners. Locking tuners aren't going to make much difference if you already have Gotoh's in there. They are mainly designed to make string changes faster and easier. They don't add all that much to tuning stability, other than you only need one or less wind around the peg rather than multiple ones, meaning less slippage on the peg.
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
May I recommend the planet waves tuners? Excellent stability and 18:1 ratio. I can rape my strat trem as hard ad I want and it will not budge
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Are the Gotoh's the ones that come stock on it? Mine are the stock tuners and I've never had a problem with tuning at all. What gauge strings are you using, and are you stretching them properly?

If you do decide to go for locking tuners, I would recommend Schaller over Sperzel. I have the sperzels on one of my guitars, and they are awful in comparison. The locking mechanisms are pretty shoddy, and if you find yourself unscrewing one completely you'll have to use pliers to get it to tighten to where it should be.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by SPBY
ill give this a try right now. the strings are new as of yesterday

new strings will take time to stretch remember that one mate. give it a week or so and if it's still not staying in tune then you may want to look at your stringing technique (not saying yours is **** but i have done some horrible stringing jobs) and then perhaps upgrade to locking tuners.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
new strings will take time to stretch remember that one mate. give it a week or so and if it's still not staying in tune then you may want to look at your stringing technique (not saying yours is **** but i have done some horrible stringing jobs) and then perhaps upgrade to locking tuners.

+1 but if u decide to upgrade go for sperzels as theyre classed as the locking tuners on the market
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by azn_guitarist25

no, i know how to do a full set up on a guitar, im not doing anything wrong. It's definitely the nut or the tuners... and i already bought gotoh's from stewmac so... we'll see. if they dont work i'll send them back and look into a nut replacement.