I have a Squire Affinity Series Tele (pos) and i'm considering getting a new bridge pickup for it.
it's just my backup guitar for my gibson sg, so i don't want to put a lot of money into it.
i was thinking about a gfs bridge pickup from guitarfetish.com or a mighty mite pickup.
the gfs pickup will only set me back bout 30-40 bucks and i think the mighty mite is about $40.
would it be worth the money, or should i just stick with the stock pickup?
i know the stock is ****, but i can only assume the same for pickups that are less than $50.
anybody use either of those brands?
let me know what you think.
If you really feel you want to waste money on a new pup your backup guitar, go ahead.
I personally wouldn't, considering it probably won't do much for a Squire.

I'd keep the stocks, im guessing you have a decent or good amp, so that would make up for your tele in case you ever had to use it in place of your SG.
well it's more of a second guitar than a backup.
like, if something happened to the sg, i'd have it, but i also use it for most of my clean or slightly overdriven ska stuff.
the stock pickup is really loud (it may be from the electronics too) buzz-wise and i was hoping a new pickup would fix that a little bit, but you can only expect so much from a single coil pickup, especially when it's not a p90
Well the buzz is because it's a single coil. You could put a stacked humbucker in there, or wire the two pickups together so that they eliminate the 60-cycle hum.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i figured that much. and i'd rather keep the single coil in the bridge.
how would i wire them together?
and would that be a better/cheaper option to buying a new pickup?
would the gfs or mighty mite sound better?
Well there's nothing wrong with a Squier, in terms of the wood and such, but if you really want to make it better, get some new pots and a new switch in there as well.

Quote by SeanX3187
i figured that much. and i'd rather keep the single coil in the bridge.
how would i wire them together?
and would that be a better/cheaper option to buying a new pickup?
would the gfs or mighty mite sound better?
I wouldn't wire them together, it wouldn't sound that good since on a tele the two pickups are quite far away from each other. I've only heard good things about GFS, but it depends on the type of pickup you want (AlNiCo 2, AlNiCo 5, ceramic, neo, etc.).

Which reminds me, GFS has some new apparently noiseless pickup.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nenofrpifort.html
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Jul 5, 2009,
well i'm not sure about pots, but i got a new switch (fender) and new neck pickup (mighty mite, don't use it much, got a cheap one) because my first one shorted out.
and yeah, the squiers are made of the same wood that the multi-thousand dollar fenders are made from: Maple and Alder.
my main question is whether or not the gfs/mighty mite pickups sound better than stock squier tele bridge pickups
I'm pretty sure it will, I've read many reviews saying that they sound much better than Mex pickups.

The pickups in your Squier (or mine) probably only cost $3 each, it's just some bars of metal, and a magnet. AlNiCo (or Neodymium) pickups sound much better to my ears.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
yeah, the neck pickup is AlNiCo from mighty mite and unfortunately i didn't use it enough to notice a difference now.
thanks for your help AntiG3, people gave me lots of ideas, but you're the only one who answered what i needed to know straight up.