Ive been trying for a couple days to find this great blues tone. It seems to be very clean but the notes sustain a lot longer and it has a little raunchy sound. Samples would be BB King and John Mayer I believe that there is some distortion involved, but it's so smooth and lacking the crunch of distortion. Does anyone know how to get this?

Some samples of this would be Key to the highway -BB King and Slow dancing in a burning room (the solo) -John Mayer
turn your trebble up

my guess is that atm your bass is highr than you mids and your mids is higher that your trebble.
turn your trebble up so it is at the same level as your bass.

anyway, thats how i have it, bass and trebble around 3 o'clock and mids around 12.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
i can achieve this tone with a os-2 i think thats what its called its a distortion/orverdrive pedal i just turn the drive tone realy low and turn up the tone.use atube scream should work but remember turn the drive way down til theres no crunch.
hope this helps.
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
i can achieve this tone with a os-2 i think thats what its called its a distortion/orverdrive pedal i just turn the drive tone realy low and turn up the tone.use atube scream should work but remember turn the drive way down til theres no crunch.
hope this helps.

No.
No, you cannot.

TS, what gear do you have?

(The smoothness of it is a characteristic of mild-Overdrive, )
I can't say for Mayor as I don't know enough about what he may use, but certainly as far as B.B. King goes, all you (should) need is an appropriate guitar and valve amp. No other pedals, fancy EQ tricks or effects necessary.

An appropriate guitar would of course be a Gibson B.B. King Lucille model. Given how that is far out of most people's budgets though, just be looking for any semi-hollowbody with humbucker pickups. The body side, back and top should all be maple. The fretboard should be ebony, failing that maple would be the closest-sounding common alternative, though it won't make too much difference if you end up resorting to a rosewood fretboard. The pickups should be low-output, with a low DC resistance rating (certainly no more than 8.5k in the bridge and 8k in the neck) and a high resonant peak rating (neck should be aiming for 7.5KHz or more, bridge should be around the 6KHz mark).

B.B. King's main amp for most of his career is an old Gibson combo that has long since been discontinued. Throughout his career he has occasionally used a Fender Twin Reverb, which is also what he tends to use more often on tours these days too. They key is a naturally bright-toned combo amplifier (he's never used stacks as far as I'm aware - 2x12 combos are what he usually goes for) with the EQ fairly even, no gain, no amp reverb and most importantly of all, the volume all the way up. That right there is what really gets you that tone, a low-gain amp with the volume cranked for natural, very subtle breakup that compresses the tone only slightly and barely distorts it at all.
Fender Twin Reverbs are pretty expensive; luckily most Fender combo amps do tend to sound roughly in the same ballpark so it's not much of a crime to use one of their cheaper all-valve combo amps and so long as you remember the key - simple EQ, no gain and maximum or near-maximum volume - it'll come out sounding about right.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Turn your treble up to 10, and your bass to zero. That should help as well...
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
That is simply and utterly terrible advice.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Calm down! It was a joke, I guess not a very funny one though.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Actually, BB has been using Roland Jazz Chorus amps for the last few years, if not longer. That's what he had on stage when I saw him in 2006 at his NYC club, and again in 2007 at Crossroads. I read somewhere that he's been using them for a looong time. Crazy stuff.

As far as the Mayer tone goes, you NEED a strat neck pickup with slightly scooped mids. Ever so slightly. I'd say Bass 6, Mids 4.5, and Treble 5.5 would get you in the zone.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Actually, BB has been using Roland Jazz Chorus amps for the last few years, if not longer. That's what he had on stage when I saw him in 2006 at his NYC club, and again in 2007 at Crossroads. I read somewhere that he's been using them for a looong time. Crazy stuff.

Woah, I thought only metal guys used the JC-120.
Quote by Sid McCall
Eh, he's used all sorts of random amps over the years. The majority of the time though, it has been his old Gibson Lab Systems or a Fender Twin Reverb, at least going by what I've seen and what he's said in interviews (I can't say I've ever seen him use the Gibson myself but he bangs on about it in interviews).
Quote by MrFlibble
B.B. King's main amp for most of his career is an old Gibson combo that has long since been discontinued. Throughout his career he has occasionally used a Fender Twin Reverb, which is also what he tends to use more often on tours these days too. They key is a naturally bright-toned combo amplifier (he's never used stacks as far as I'm aware - 2x12 combos are what he usually goes for) with the EQ fairly even, no gain, no amp reverb and most importantly of all, the volume all the way up. That right there is what really gets you that tone, a low-gain amp with the volume cranked for natural, very subtle breakup that compresses the tone only slightly and barely distorts it at all.
Fender Twin Reverbs are pretty expensive; luckily most Fender combo amps do tend to sound roughly in the same ballpark so it's not much of a crime to use one of their cheaper all-valve combo amps and so long as you remember the key - simple EQ, no gain and maximum or near-maximum volume - it'll come out sounding about right.

Would you say this advice would work for my Laney?

I've got a similar sound already, and I love my cleans.
I'm trying to get a sound more like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgUUTkqRRQ, and I'm pretty much there, but if I take your advice, and maybe add some reverb [My reverb is already turned up anyway, so it's just a case of following your EQ advice, etc.], do you reckon I can that nice slinky sound?
I reckon I'm there already, but with some fine tuning I could get it spot on.

TBH, I think my settings are already like that [nearly flat, low preamp, high volume]. Now I think about it, I have got that sound.
Disregard this post. I have a bad memory.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 5, 2009,