Page 1 of 2
Yo Pit, I was at my friends house today and it was a really strange experience. Basically, his parents let him do whatever the hell he wants. He can walk into his living room and light a cig or have a beer in front of his parents and they dont bat an eyelid! I should add at this point that he just turned 15 recently. His folks only draw the line at him getting completely drunk off his face. Their view is that hes gonna do it anyway, so he might as well do it at home, supervised. I found it kinda shocking, and I wanna know the Pit's opinion on it.

And we all know smoking and drinking are unhealthy, so spare us the lecture. But is it bad parenting or practical parenting? If he wasnt doing it at home, he'd be doing it elsewhere anyway. Opinions?
PSN ID: Blade3195
good parents.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Sounds like my friends parents. They buy his cigs, beer, and condoms, and he's only 16.
Sail upon the open skies
In the end it's the son's own convictions that will be his undoing. It's mostly the kid's fault for doing any of that stuff in the first place.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Bad parenting. If he's going to do it elsewhere anyway, why let him do it at home as well? It's not like he's going to stop doing it elsewhere by letting him do it supervised at home so all they're doing is adding to his addictive habits.
Will they still not give a crap about him the day they realize that they have to be the ones burying him?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
if his parents raised him right he wouldnt smoke or drink until he was legal age, and he would keep it in moderation. IMO
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Okay guys, it seems some of you are under the impression that hes an alcoholic, hes not and he doesnt do drugs either. Some of you do hav good points though.
Quote by heavyairship
if his parents raised him right he wouldnt smoke or drink until he was legal age, and he would keep it in moderation. IMO

agree
In theory it's not bad. If the kid is allowed to do it at home, it takes away the need to do it elsewhere, so it lessens the risk of getting into trouble with it. While I can see the pros of this method, I would never practice it.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
As enticing a life that is, I'd probably not want to have them as my parents. Although I'm amused by some "weird parenting," I'm usually pretty wary of it too.
the reactions in this thread are pretty funny. My parents are mostly the same way with the exception of my dad's anti-smoking stance (so I just don't smoke in front of him) and I'd like to think I'm responsible enough not to let it go to my head. It's not like I'm some worthless ****head on the street because my parents trust me.

My point is that nobody here can judge this guy or his parents because they don't know if he's responsible enough to moderate his own behaviour when his parents give him a lot of leeway to do what he wants.
Quote by merfsullivan
In theory it's not bad. If the kid is allowed to do it at home, it takes away the need to do it elsewhere, so it lessens the risk of getting into trouble with it. While I can see the pros of this method, I would never practice it.

yes and no, because the kid will think it will be alright to do it anywhere, even in public where he could get arrested
my friends parents as well.

their philosophy "if you're gonna do it, don't get caught"
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by madbomber233
Okay guys, it seems some of you are under the impression that hes an alcoholic, hes not and he doesnt do drugs either. Some of you do hav good points though.

Quote by madbomber233
Yo Pit, I was at my friends house today and it was a really strange experience. Basically, his parents let him do whatever the hell he wants. He can walk into his living room and light a cig or have a beer in front of his parents and they dont bat an eyelid! I should add at this point that he just turned 15 recently. His folks only draw the line at him getting completely drunk off his face. Their view is that hes gonna do it anyway, so he might as well do it at home, supervised. I found it kinda shocking, and I wanna know the Pit's opinion on it.

And we all know smoking and drinking are unhealthy, so spare us the lecture. But is it bad parenting or practical parenting? If he wasnt doing it at home, he'd be doing it elsewhere anyway. Opinions?

Obviously his parent's didn't get a good enough ass kickin when they were young. *I'll take care of that

But seriously, this kid will ventually learn his lessons the hard way. If not then he'll end up lifeless if he keeps up with the attitude he's got right now.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
good plan tbh, i was always allowed alcohol and such and my dad is no stranger to weed and it's meant there's no 'taboo' about it. I hardly have any alcohol, i dont even like being really drunk, i just have a couple of beers when its a hot night as a refreshment...
Quote by HorseRadish

Ah yes, Well spotted young grasshopper. However I was talking about harder drugs such as coke and the like.
Quote by heavyairship

Oh please. You're gonna tell us that you've never smoked a cigarette/doobie or drank some alcohol as a teenager? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, good for the parents. Honestly, that's probably how I'd raise my kids. Granted, I'd wait until they're 16 or so.. but still. They'd have to buy their own cigarettes (I do not support cigarettes at all), and mostly their own alcohol (unless I'm in the mood to share), and their own weed. But I'd totally let my kid light up a joint or have a beer in my house.

Why? Because, in my area, the only parties take place in the woods or at someone's (read: one person's) house, and they usually get busted. Sure, everyone gets away (most of the time) because our cops are fat and still can't navigate through the woods as well as some drunken high school kids... but I'd rather my teenager chill on the couch, watch a movie and smoke some weed than be chased by the cops drunkenly through the woods. And if he's gonna get drunk, might as well do it in the house. That way he doesn't come stumbling in at 2 in the morning, pissing me off by waking me up, and he won't make a total ass of himself (probably).
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Last edited by MyNameIsLame at Jul 4, 2009,
my mom gave me beer the other day...
she doesnt care as long as i dont get drunk..
dont think its the same with cigarettes though
Quote by blink day 4 eva
my mom gave me beer the other day...
she doesnt care as long as i dont get drunk..
dont think its the same with cigarettes though

Yeah, i've never heard of someone getting drunk off of cigarettes.
Sail upon the open skies
I was just out at a park and I heard some littlew kid yell "Mother fcker!"
I look over then he says "Mom, ...."
First I'm like wtf? Then I realize his parents are "gangsta"
Quote by JimiJimmy
Good parenting. Yeah, he's gonna do it, so do it under supervision.

I guess they don't realize he's gonna do it outside of their supervision as well?
From the sounds of it it's good parenting, if he is doing it anyways on his own then them supervising isn't a bad thing. It sounds like the only allow it if he keeps it under control and isn't drinking all the time. Some of my friends parents let them smoke weed and cigs but they don't allow it if it's all they do, start getting bad grades, etc. With cigarettes I think it would be pretty messed up if their parents got them started smoking since it's more unhealthy and addictive but if they already smoke and their parents allow it and even buy them cigs. If anything I think it's better for them to be allowed to smoke and drinking so they are not hiding stuff and the family can be closer.
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Oh please. You're gonna tell us that you've never smoked a cigarette/doobie or drank some alcohol as a teenager? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, good for the parents. Honestly, that's probably how I'd raise my kids. Granted, I'd wait until they're 16 or so.. but still. They'd have to buy their own cigarettes (I do not support cigarettes at all), and mostly their own alcohol (unless I'm in the mood to share), and their own weed. But I'd totally let my kid light up a joint or have a beer in my house.

Why? Because, in my area, the only parties take place in the woods or at someone's (read: one person's) house, and they usually get busted. Sure, everyone gets away (most of the time) because our cops are fat and still can't navigate through the woods as well as some drunken high school kids... but I'd rather my teenager chill on the couch, watch a movie and smoke some weed than be chased by the cops drunkenly through the woods. And if he's gonna get drunk, might as well do it in the house. That way he doesn't come stumbling in at 2 in the morning, pissing me off by waking me up, and he won't make a total ass of himself (probably).

+1
clever parents, they let their kids experiment whilst teaching them to be responsible with it. I probably won't buy my kids cigs, they can buy their own if they're into that, but I'll try to teach them to keep with the safe maryjane, and not to abuse alcohol and not get too hooked on baccy.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by IbanezRGS
Obviously his parent's didn't get a good enough ass kickin when they were young. *I'll take care of that

But seriously, this kid will ventually learn his lessons the hard way. If not then he'll end up lifeless if he keeps up with the attitude he's got right now.

oh man that's good logic right there !
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by Mudmen190
My kid would fly through the air if they did that.

why? you ever had alcohol or smoked before? If so the STFU. They're gonna do it anyway regardless of your approval. Making things into the forbidden fruit always means that they become more sought after.

I've drank very occasionally since i was 15 or 16. I have been really drink a total of 3 times, im 18 now and my dad has always had weed around too. I don't see these things as anything special to be honest. I don't enjoy getting out of my head on stuff much so i do it in moderation. I've never been 'banned' from alcohol or whatever and it's made me treat it like anything else instead of some 'special' forbidden fruit.
Quote by Zoot Allures
why? you ever had alcohol or smoked before? If so the STFU. They're gonna do it anyway regardless of your approval. Making things into the forbidden fruit always means that they become more sought after.

Um I think that due to the fact that it's his kid he can raise him/her the way he likes.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
Quote by heavyairship

I wouldn't blame the parents so much. Kids are going to do that **** anyway regardless of how good of a parent you are.
Quote by Mr_Kite
Um I think that due to the fact that it's his kid he can raise him/her the way he likes.

Within reason yes but i wasn't saying he COULDN'T. I was saying that it's a stupid idea to react that way. Of course he can ignore my advice but being ignorant of good reasoning is a bad idea is it not? Keeping the real world hidden from your kids won't help. It's the parents job to educate their kids about life so they don't end up in the **** because they've been kept ignorant in their upbringing. Instead of hiding alcohol and thus making it like a forbidden fruit, the parents would be better off educating their children and letting them have it.

It isn't that big a deal anyway. Alcohol isn't that great... people glorify it too much and then kids want to have it because they've been told they arnt allowed it aswell as hearing about how great it is.
Meh. Maybe good in theory, but it'd be weird for me to do that as a parent or as the kid. I'd probably just take more of a "what I don't know can't hurt me" attitude and let him/her figure it out on their own.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I have a friend just like that. I find many people smoke and drink because they want to rebel against their parents and by letting him drink and what not they might be repressing his rebellious behavior? Just a thought.
Page 1 of 2