Hello gentlemen, I'm going on a bit of a spending spree this summer. I recently acquired a beautiful pre-loved bass (a Godin w/ EMGs) for $150, however I run it through my father's 50-watt Peavey Classic. I am also planning on buying an Epiphone Prophecy SG Custom GX, and as I like to have a "heavy" tone (a load of distortion EQ'd with bass maxed and treble high, with mids at zero), I figure I may as well run my new axe through the bass amp too, and get a nice Kyuss-type tone, which works well, considering my fascination with doom/stoner metal.

I'd like a relatively sizeable one that distorts well, but still preserves some treble tones. Also, I'd be running an expensive (!!!) phasing unit through it, and the distortion I'd be using would be nothing short of crushing.

If this isn't doable, I'll just make do with what I have.

Thanks for any responses!
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Schecter Devil (C# Standard)
Peavey Butcher (late 80s, 120 watt)
Traynor 4x12
Earthbound Audio Supercollider fuzz
H&K Warp Factor distortion
If I were you, I'd get a bass amp that doesn't have the tacked on overdrive feature, adding to the cost (amirite? I'm very unversed with amp stuff), and get a nice overdrive pedal/Head in a Box type thing.

I personally run a guitar through a small peavey Minx, with a Boss ODB-3 for distortion, and I get a nice tone out of it.
Quote by maXterbat0r
If I were you, I'd get a bass amp that doesn't have the tacked on overdrive feature, adding to the cost (amirite? I'm very unversed with amp stuff), and get a nice overdrive pedal/Head in a Box type thing.

Sounds good, I think I'll be able to get all the distortion I want from my pedals/humbuckers, so I won't really need amplifier overdrive. I just need a bass amp that can take a ****load of distortion without fouling up.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Most amps take distortion well. Just make sure your cabinet has the option to turn down (or off) the tweeter to keep your highs from getting out of control.

And mids at 0? Egad man, don't you want to be heard?!
Quote by IndianRockStar
Most amps take distortion well. Just make sure your cabinet has the option to turn down (or off) the tweeter to keep your highs from getting out of control.

And mids at 0? Egad man, don't you want to be heard?!
Oh, hehe, pardon me. Mids at 1.

It sounds weird, but it works really well. I get a nice, chunky bass for the low end, but great, biting treble so I'm heard on top of the mix anyway. Excellent tone, clean or distorted, relative to other setups I've tried with my gear, at any rate.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Running a clean as well as a dirty signal would help in preserving your tone, so that's something to look into. I know there are FX blender boxes out there which blend your clean and dirty tone to your liking, that will be right up your alley.

As far as distortion, I'd go with getting a separate pedal at least for versatility's sake. I've heard that the ProCo RAT is quite gainy and nasty, but you will definitely need to run a clean signal with it as it kills your bottom.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by t3hrav3n
Running a clean as well as a dirty signal would help in preserving your tone, so that's something to look into. I know there are FX blender boxes out there which blend your clean and dirty tone to your liking, that will be right up your alley.

As far as distortion, I'd go with getting a separate pedal at least for versatility's sake. I've heard that the ProCo RAT is quite gainy and nasty, but you will definitely need to run a clean signal with it as it kills your bottom.
Thanks for the advice, mate. The FX Blender Box plan sounds GREAT, and I'll definitely look into that. As I've stated a couple times, I'll be getting my distortion from either the HBE Doomsday Device or the "You Dirty Rat" pedal.

But in terms of an actual amplifier model, anything up my alley, anyone?
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
how loud does it have to be?

i have an acoustic b200 i've never heard any nasty break up out of, and i've had it cranked before.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
I've never had my Acoustic clip either (though I do play with mainly low gain. I wonder as a tangent, how do people usually sit their gain/volume? I don't know the innerworking that well, but I have the "gain" pretty low and the "master volume" quite high)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
^^ I have my gain just over halfway, and have my Master volume pretty low, more "kick" I find, but I've tried it the other way and I dunno what it is but its just... not the same.

Anyway on topic of the TS

I would recommend getting a Guitar head and a couple good bass cabs, like, a 4x10 and a 1x15, Guitar heads work with a bass, due to the Bass Speakers... and with that stack, you'll look damn impressive.

If you like metal check out the Laney GH series, My guitarist has one and damn its nice. He got it when he was in his 80's metal stage, and it took him through a Stoner/Doom metal stage, just because of how well it handles it, he also runs the Little Big Muff because its a little bit more bottom heavy than the other Muff's (not sure on the bass muff though so don't call me on that)

for speakers check out Hartke, good speakers, not overly expensive, though I'm not sure on the brand but Fitz keeps recommending them because they have a Tweeter Frequency Crossover and Volume, or something. that would be useful to essential if your gonna run with that much treble.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Well,I'm fairly sure Josh Homme used an ordinary guitar head with some ampeg 8x10's.
I used to run a couple dist pedals into my solid state yamaha into a 4x10 for Kyuss'ey tones.
In my opinion put those mids right up,neck pick-up,treble at 8 and gain on maybe half.Let the natural bass heavieness and the bass from the speakers do the work,not you E.Q.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by divortium
Hello gentlemen, I'm going on a bit of a spending spree this summer. I recently acquired a beautiful pre-loved bass (a Godin w/ EMGs) for $150, however I run it through my father's 50-watt Peavey Classic. I am also planning on buying an Epiphone Prophecy SG Custom GX, and as I like to have a "heavy" tone (a load of distortion EQ'd with bass maxed and treble high, with mids at zero), I figure I may as well run my new axe through the bass amp too, and get a nice Kyuss-type tone, which works well, considering my fascination with doom/stoner metal.

Scooping your mids is gonna make your guitar sound wimpy and hollow, not ballsy, and certainly not stoner/doom/sludge variety of heavy.

Anyways, for guitar an EQ pedal might help you keep control over your high-end through the bass rig. Bass speakers have a wider frequency response then guitar speakers, more lows and more highs, tapering a bit of low and high out might help you stay less fizzy and harsh, and less boomy. Good luck with the rig.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Try Gallien-Krueger or higher end Ampeg. I've noticed that the smaller the speaker size, the easier it takes to distortion, so an 8x10 will be all you need.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Wow, excellent advice, all of you! Thank you very much! I like the idea of the guitar head and a bass cab... And yeah, ****ing impressive stack!

I'll be considering all of your posts, though. Some great info here, thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it.
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
UPDATE: My father is supposedly storing a Fender Deluxe Twin Reverb head at another musician's place and wouldn't mind handing it over to me. But he says that it might not drive a bass cab.

Thoughts?

Also: Even if it could drive a cab, not being primarily a bass player, when it comes to buying cabs, I have no idea who to trust. Ampeg and Mesa are supposedly good names, anything I should look for in a good cab?

Thanks a bunch, guys!
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Last edited by divortium at Jul 6, 2009,
Well, I own a 4x10 Hartke Bass Cab, and a 1 x 15 SWR Cab...Both are very sexy in my opinion and I have not had any problems. SWR and Hartke are solid brands in my opinion.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Last edited by randomhero65 at Jul 6, 2009,
Ampeg is the stock standard high end brand name. so you will be definatley getting something worthwhile, though for the money, you should be getting more.

Avatar is a good name to look at,

Mesa is also quite good.

The Deluxe wont be getting you the guitar tone your after. Its bread and butter is the fat Bluesy sounds, to Guns 'n' Roses type rock. much heavier then that and it wont sound quite right.

Also as far as I'm aware the fender doesn't have an extension cab option or an option of unplugging its speaker, so its only a guitar amp.

I would really suggest a Laney GH series head or a Peavey head, a friend of mine had a full tweed peavey stack, in a pop punk band, he got some sweet sounds, and at gigs when he took the piss out of metal/stoner/doom/sludge metal, he actually got a really good sound.

Also my guitarist tried his Laney GH head in my Hartke 4x10 bass cab and he said he didn't lie it too much, but I have kind of thrashed the tweeter a bit with tonnes of crunch and Hartke papercones are probably not the best for lead guitar work.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
Ampeg is the stock standard high end brand name. so you will be definatley getting something worthwhile, though for the money, you should be getting more.

Avatar is a good name to look at,

Mesa is also quite good.

The Deluxe wont be getting you the guitar tone your after. Its bread and butter is the fat Bluesy sounds, to Guns 'n' Roses type rock. much heavier then that and it wont sound quite right.

Also as far as I'm aware the fender doesn't have an extension cab option or an option of unplugging its speaker, so its only a guitar amp.

I would really suggest a Laney GH series head or a Peavey head, a friend of mine had a full tweed peavey stack, in a pop punk band, he got some sweet sounds, and at gigs when he took the piss out of metal/stoner/doom/sludge metal, he actually got a really good sound.

Also my guitarist tried his Laney GH head in my Hartke 4x10 bass cab and he said he didn't lie it too much, but I have kind of thrashed the tweeter a bit with tonnes of crunch and Hartke papercones are probably not the best for lead guitar work.
Ooh, excellent post, you nailed it, mate, thanks. A little bit of a bluesy tone wouldn't be all that bad, though. I guess I'll try it out and if it doesn't work out, I'll get a Laney GH or a Peavey.

Anyone else?
GEAR
PRS SE Torero (Drop B)
Traynor 4x12
Last edited by divortium at Jul 7, 2009,
I just don't think using a guitar head and a bass cab will get you a tone you will be happy with.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist