Page 1 of 2
I'm making this thread because I'm just startin out with improv, and I want some scales to work with besides the simple A and E-minor pentatonics that I know already. Please post both the name of the scale and the tabs and/or description of the notes. Thanks UG
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
Pentatonics with an intelligent use of accidentals

is there any other answer?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Phrygian dominant hands down ... ok, and sometimes blues.
Quote by TonyIommi2557
Natural Minor, Phrygian, Locrian, Phrygian Dominant.

Really? I can't never really work out a nice melody from it (for obvious reasons) and if I want a spacey feeling I'll stick with the octatonic scales.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jul 4, 2009,
Quote by TonyIommi2557
Natural Minor, Phrygian, Locrian, Phrygian Dominant.

^this. although i dont know what a Phrygian Dominant is, but i'm still learning theory. but i play mostly Natural Minor and Locrian.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
^this. although i dont know what a Phrygian Dominant is, but i'm still learning theory. but i play mostly Natural Minor and Locrian.

Phrygian with a sharpened 3rd. Try it, has a very exotic feeling.
haha, I'm just a sad person and I use a blues scale pattern for everything and just ignore the key I'm in and just play what sounds right.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Harmonic Minor!

But try this site.. It has like every scale and scale position thing whatever.. http://www.guitarists.net/scales/
I use it a lot because I'm just starting to learn soloing and all that.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Quote by pwrmax
Phrygian with a sharpened 3rd. Try it, has a very exotic feeling.

thanks, i'll be sure to try that.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by 11macj
I'm making this thread because I'm just startin out with improv, and I want some scales to work with besides the simple A and E-minor pentatonics that I know already. Please post both the name of the scale and the tabs and/or description of the notes. Thanks UG

well first, you should know how to play the pentatonic in all keys anywhere on the neck. so i suggest making sure you take some time to put aside and learn that.

to answer the question, i like to use the pentatonic as a "base scale" to build from. in most styles of music, pentatonic scales are "safe" in that they almost always work. but from there, you can add in extra notes to make it the major scale, the minor scale, dorian, lydian or some other mode or scale or you could simply just use some notes here and ther as you please. and if you go to far out, you can always come back the the "safe" notes of the pentatonic. a lot of my speed runs are based a lot on pentatonics a la eric johnson.
I like major and minor scales, diminished as well. Not really too much pentatonic anymore for some reason.
Quote by demonofthenight

You best be jesting.

When I improvise, most of the time I don't think about what scale I'm playing or am going to play. I like to switch between a lot of different scales plus use a lot of accidentals. Overall to let my ear lead the way. A good way to practice this, I think, is to make a one chord vamp, sometimes a chord without a third. That way you can use basically any scale over it, and any accidental. You can make some really cool sounding music like this, pushing your solos to very intense heights.
Quote by awesomeness
Harmonic Minor!

But try this site.. It has like every scale and scale position thing whatever.. http://www.guitarists.net/scales/
I use it a lot because I'm just starting to learn soloing and all that.

Great site, thanks!

...all this really makes me want to take music theory in my senior year of HS lol
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
I always use notes from the chromatic scale. Here, I have tabbed out an ascending chromatic scale on E over the span of two octaves.

|---------------------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------0-1-2-3-4-5-|
|-------------------------------0-1-2-3-------------|
|---------------------0-1-2-3-4---------------------|
|-----------0-1-2-3-4-------------------------------|
|-0-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

Seriously though, being given tabs of various scales will not teach you as much as you would like, especially out of musical context. If you need to be given tabs of these scales, then you apparently do not understand how they are used. Right now, you should keep focusing on your pentatonic scales. Also learn the major and minor scales. I recommend that you find some backing tracks or better yet, record your own and find out what scales you can use and how.
You get out of your instrument what you put into it.
Quote by 11macj
Great site, thanks!

...all this really makes me want to take music theory in my senior year of HS lol

That's not going to help you one bit. You don't need to to learn a load of patterns, you need to understand what a scale actually is.

If you know Em and Am pentatonic then you should know the other 10 keys because they all use the exact same intervals, also do you know them all ove rthe neck or just one position. If you do then the next place to look is learning the major scale, learn the notes on the fretboard, learn about intervals and you'll actually start understanding things as opposed to picking from a load of random dots on a diagram and hoping for the best.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Minor and Major if I'm going for a sweet melody, but minor pentatonic (with accidentals) if I'm going for speed.
A samurai once asked Zen Master Hakuin where he would go after he died. Hakuin answered 'How am I supposed to know?'
'How do you not know? You're a Zen master!' exclaimed the samurai.
'Yes, but not a dead one,' Hakuin answered.
Quote by steven seagull
That's not going to help you one bit. You don't need to to learn a load of patterns, you need to understand what a scale actually is.

a group of notes that follows a particular pattern.

Quote by 11macj

Try learning a solo or something.

Commonly used scales for soloing, that would be good for you to familiarize yourself with....

minor pentatonic
minor blues
Major pentatonic
Major blues
Major
minor

There are lot's of scales, some with fancy names, but these are the scales your most likely to encounter on a consistent basis in popular music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
a group of notes that follows a particular pattern.

The pattern in a scale is WWHW..etc. He wasn't talking about those kind of patterns. He was talking about not learning the shapes on the fretboard without learning how the scale works and intervals within it.
I hope that 90% of the people in this thread are joking :/
i don't know why i feel so dry
Shred: Pentatonic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Major, etc.
Song Impov: Major or Pentatonic Minor (most of the time)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by griffRG7321
The pattern in a scale is WWHW..etc. He wasn't talking about those kind of patterns. He was talking about not learning the shapes on the fretboard without learning how the scale works and intervals within it.

I know what he was talking about.

still, whether it's on paper or on a guitar neck, you do actually have to memorize patterns.
shred is gaudy music
Yes, but learning a load of patterns, just patterns, without taking the time to explore each one fully isn't much use to anyone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sweepbot5000
harmonic minor

Runs in this never, I mean NEVER get old.
Nothing is more pleasing than hitting that root note with some wide vibrato after a nice harmonic minor run.
Why does everyone keep saying they like playing in phrygian dominant? I doubt any of the people that have said that actually play phrygian dominant. More than likely, you're playing natural (or harmonic) minor with a b2 and major 3 thrown in.
Quote by demonofthenight
Pentatonics with an intelligent use of accidentals

same for me really, seems simple looking at everyone else's posts but I like it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, but learning a load of patterns, just patterns, without taking the time to explore each one fully isn't much use to anyone.

Of-course, how much a person explores/studies/learns has an impact on their progress. That pretty much goes without saying, for any topic.
shred is gaudy music
Another question, and I know it's wicked off-topic, but does anyone know what scale KG (Tenacious D of course) uses in that epic run in Master Exploder? It's about 54 seconds in, and I'm just curious about what scale it is even though I could just get the tab.
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by steven seagull
If you know Em and Am pentatonic then you should know the other 10 keys because they all use the exact same intervals, also do you know them all ove rthe neck or just one position.

I know those 2 pentatonics all over the neck, and I've dabbled in a few others (like g-something) but I don't remember what the shape was. I have really just been working on building speed with what I know so far.
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by 11macj
I know those 2 pentatonics all over the neck, and I've dabbled in a few others (like g-something) but I don't remember what the shape was. I have really just been working on building speed with what I know so far.

They all use the shame shapes, in different locations on the fretboard.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
My favorites are Dorian, Lydian, and Blues
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
Quote by blueriver
They all use the shame shapes, in different locations on the fretboard.

Oops, sorry. It was a C Phrygian, looking back at my papers. I don't know where I got G from...
IT'S JEFF

Peavey Envoy 110
Page 1 of 2