the headstock? She thinks I will ruin the whole guitar and stupid stuff like that. Also, a nice little tutorial to show her will also work.
Check out Project Guitar. There's some good tutorials on there.

Also, I feel for you. My mom's the same way. She didn't even want me taking the pickguard off of my old Les Paul copy.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Buy a scrap piece of wood and paint it how you want to paint your guitar, show her that you can do it and not **** up anything.
Quote by SecretAgentS
What can I say to my mom to help her realize that you can't mess anything up painting
You can't, because that isn't true.

You can paint without messing things up, if you're careful.
You can also make a right mess of things, if you aren't.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I don't see how hard it can be to paint the HEADSTOCK. All I have to do is tape off the first fret or 2. And all I am doing is paint it white. WHITE goddammit.
Quote by SecretAgentS
I don't see how hard it can be to paint the HEADSTOCK. All I have to do is tape off the first fret or 2. And all I am doing is paint it white. WHITE goddammit.

i'd do the whole neck just to be safe, if one or two frets protects it, then you are painting too close to the headstock. you need nice wide strokes about a foot away from the body.

if you do what you're saying, you'll have a mess of a paintjob.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
i'd do the whole neck just to be safe, if one or two frets protects it, then you are painting too close to the headstock. you need nice wide strokes about a foot away from the body.

if you do what you're saying, you'll have a mess of a paintjob.

I don't understand what you're saying. How can I paint too close to the headstock, if I am painting... the headstock! What do you mean wide strokes a foot away from the body.
Uh spraycans ? You don't paint with anything less volatile like a brush, else you'll get lines in the paint. Already have to SAND a lot to get a nice finish ...

Yeah, you have to sand between coats of paint. And oh btw you'll need multiple coats.

PS: when you sand, do it with high grain sandpaper. Like grade 400, at least. Also, don't forgect to clearcoat it afterwards with a varnish, preferably sprayed and sanded multiple times too.
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
Last edited by el toro DKiAB at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by el toro DKiAB
Uh spraycans ? You don't paint with anything less volatile like a brush, else you'll get lines in the paint. Already have to SAND a lot to get a nice finish ...

Yeah, you have to sand between coats of paint. And oh btw you'll need multiple coats.

So you're saying I should use spraycans? If so, I already knew that.
Quote by SecretAgentS

Well do you know how to use them ? Like the guy said, you need to spray from a distance (one foot) to get a flat, uniform coat. Which is you should desire.

You're spraying the whole head stock at the same time btw, not doing short concentrated passes.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by SecretAgentS

if you spray the paint any closer than a foot from the surface, you'll get bubbles and ripples and bad drips.

i too, would be worried if i was your mother. you know nothing about painting.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by conor1148
if you spray the paint any closer than a foot from the surface, you'll get bubbles and ripples and bad drips.

When he said a foot away from the body, I figured he meant the ACTUAL BODY. I already know the rules of spraypainting.
We're talking only headstock here. One foot away from the target, that's all.

Did you think about where'd you'll be doing that ?
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Quote by el toro DKiAB
We're talking only headstock here. One foot away from the target, that's all.

Did you think about where'd you'll be doing that ?

It's just that... ugh nevermind
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Hey come we're just trying to help. By making sure you really know what'll you be doing. That would also help you convinve you rmother to let you do it.

So where did you think about sprayin ? Garage ? You'll have a fine coat of paint everywhere in the general direction of the spray, because of the wide cloud created by the 1-foot distance.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

I would want to do it outside, but depending on the temperature and humidity, most likely inside my garage.
You know you need to hang the guitar from somewhere right ?
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

Nah, just put something behind it.

EDIT: and what are you, like 12? Just paint it.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
its obvious to see why your mother doesn't want you doing it, it sounds like you have no clue.
It sounds like you're jumping to conclusions and not giving any help other saying exactly what others have said.

If you don't know how to do any of this, here's a quick checklist of things to do.

1: Take the hardware off the area you're going to paint
2: Sand the surface to let the paint grip
3: Mask the bits you don't want paint on (Even on the body, sometimes you get little bits)
4: Wipe down the surface you want to paint and make sure it's dry and without any specks.
(White is the worst for this, it shows everything)
5: Spray on a day that isn't overcast, do many light coats instead of a couple of big heavy ones.
6: Sand in between each coat.
If Laquering:
7: Give it a reasonable sand after your last coat
7a: Don't do it on an overcast day (It goes milky sometimes, better not to risk it)
7b: Buff

If not

8. Buff.

Hope this helped a bit.

With the Mum thing, make a plan out like I have and show her exactly how you are going to do it.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by wiliscool
Nah, just put something behind it.

EDIT: and what are you, like 12? Just paint it.

Find it much more pratical to hang it. Easier to paint.
Quote by Dog

Quote by RinestoneCowboy

i had no idea how to paint but my strat copy came out how i wanted it more or less xD but it would be a good idea to research a bit
(anyone who wants to see my paint job its in my gear on my profile comments welcomed)
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
coathangers will be your best friend

and remember to tape EVERYTHING off
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
dude just take the strings and the machine heads off, mask off the neck or a few frets or whatever, maybe put a sheet over the rest of the guitar incase you get some drifty sneaky sprayage. and just go to town!! get some spray cans, christ paint a pattern with a brush if you want its your guitar and it should look the way you want it. **** ive even got a guitar with a neck that hasnt even got a clearcoat on it! just a dark woodstain. but im happy with it cuz its my guitar and i like the way it looks and feels.

so basically, do your own thing
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by SecretAgentS
I already know the rules of spraypainting.

Do you indeed....

Perhaps you should tell us, in order, what you intend to do and then perhaps, if you should miss out any minor details, one of us (me) can fill in the blanks, so to speak.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by SecretAgentS
It's just that... ugh nevermind
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Quote by SecretAgentS
No wonder you're having problems with your mother.
You're acting like an argumentative little bitch-tits.

There are plenty of ways to mess this up.
No doubt your mother is more in touch with your own personal ways of mucking things up than we are. You dismiss any cause for concern as being meaningless without even discussing it. You know ALL. How dare anyone question you or your abilities?

You're a good example of why some animals eat their young.
My condolences to your mother.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I love how at the end of just about every post of Syk's, he always ends with a
It makes me laugh everytime.
As did the South Park reference.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Jul 6, 2009,
ive clear coated a few headstocks in my time heres a few tricks without the bull****

one pre sand it and finish the sanding with 0000 steel wool

this will get your wood nice and smooth next mask it with tape just like you said

then tack rag it . thats a rag with paint thinner on it just a little to pick up any sanding dust. put the neck on a table where you can get the headstock level. this will help to prevent runs. then a few light coats of the white next if your going to do clear on top of it then be sure to use the same brand of paint so it wont wrinkle up on you diferent brands have diferent formulas and some react to others making a mess.

in between coats after there good and dry use the 0000 steel wool to rough it up a bit after the last coat do the same then buff it lightly for a nice shine

you can tell your mom i said its a piece of cake if you take the time to do it this way

by the way dont listen to all this critical crap if you dont like the way it comes out just re do it.

how are you supposed to learn if you dont try anything right.

besides im sure most of these eexperts have made there mistakes along the way.

theres an old saying where i come from. people become painters because they dont have the skills to do anything else.
Last edited by amx05462 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by conor1148

+1
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
You could practice by convincing everybody in this thread that you won't foul it up, and then moving on to mommy.

I don't think you're there yet.
Metalhead_28,
you've just posted the most concise useful reply thus far, in this abortion of a thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411