Page 1 of 4
So my family and i were at a BBQ for the 4th. and i decided to head out early to go for a nice little 6 mile run. ive been pretty dedicated to running as of late and i feel pretty good about it.
so what i ask the runners of the pit, what have you passed/give up for running?
(or post whatever you feel like about running)

---And yes i search bar'd---
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Quote by crimson205
I try to run 30 mins and its fun, and a good feeling

gotta love runners high man
Hey I went on a run during fireworks too! Neat. I'm not much into fireworks anyway.
I went on a nice 4 mile run this evening down to the beach and back...no fireworks in my town this year though.
Quote by MattsRichardson
gotta love runners high man

but then at some point it feels like im going to die XD
i run 5 miles every single morning. regardless of whether its a weekend, holiday, or otherwise, so i've given up a LOT of sleep over the years to go running. that's all i really give up since i go running pretty early, thus it doesn't get in the way of activities later in the day.

EDIT: however, i've probably given up the opportunity to have healthy shin muscles later in life due to occasional incidents of shin-splints and the like.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 5, 2009,
i was always short distance 100 meters, 400 the most
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I just run on a treadmill. I can watch instructional music videos at the same time. Im a bit of a freak.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i run 5 miles every single morning. regardless of whether its a weekend, holiday, or otherwise, so i've given up a LOT of sleep over the years to go running. that's all i really give up since i go running pretty early, thus it doesn't get in the way of activities later in the day.

i run a little, but ive actually been curious, is it actually worth it??
I've started, i'm horribly unfit. I can do 1600 metres which is like a mile. ASthma doesn't help, and it's freezing this time of year.
Been doing that for about a month now every night. Still can't really go that much further.
Quote by grunger

i used to be kind of chubby ( a little bit, not a lot) but the day you start to see veins in your biceps and abs poking through makes it all worth it. not to mention daily activity is MUCH easier to deal with, and its harder to get tired.
Quote by grunger

way worth it man. the first few weeks hurt, but once you start gettin in shape it puts you in a great mood afterwards. and its a great way to drop off some weight and put on some muscle ha.
I've given up running for fapping.

Really, though, fireworks are overrated. Plus, you can laugh at all of them when you have a sexy body and they are all obese from the lethargy and hot dogs.
kill all humans
Quote by MattsRichardson
way worth it man. the first few weeks hurt, but once you start gettin in shape it puts you in a great mood afterwards. and its a great way to drop off some weight and put on some muscle ha.

Also, i am as skinny as a rake, grey hound body type . still worth it?
Quote by MattsRichardson
way worth it man. the first few weeks hurt

****ing +10.

those first few weeks are what keep most people from starting. its really hard to get the motivation to go for another 4 mile run when your quads and calves are still aching from the day before. also, if you are to start running, invest in good,highly cushioned trainers. avoid shoes like Nike Frees that are designed for light weight and running form, until you're experienced since you will be crawling back home on your hands and knees from the pain in your feet.

Quote by grunger

yep. having super low body fat doesn't mean you're in good cardiovascular shape. no matter how thin you are, cardio is important. even if you don't need to lose any weight, its still going to prevent you from getting a heart attack when you're 60.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by grunger

yea man itll still build muscle, and then its a great excuse to eat a whole lot since you;re just gonna run it off ha
Quote by MattsRichardson

In that case....

*buys a new pair of Nike+ running shoes and an iPod*
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jul 5, 2009,
I've given up guitar for walking, I can't run for ****. Most I've run was like a mile, and I was ****ed lol.

I should probably run more, ey?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
****ing +10.

those first few weeks are what keep most people from starting. its really hard to get the motivation to go for another 4 mile run when your quads and calves are still aching from the day before.

ha i think thats where i could be considered crazy. i love being sore, sore means you tore muscle and its gonna rebuild stronger...which makes me want to run more cuz i know im actually accomplishing something ha
How long d'ya recon before you started to see improvement?
(Question pointed at the hardcore runners)
So how long is a good distance for someone who's kinda big-ish but in moderately good shape (I've been playing sports since I was about 4. Football, basketball, baseball) to start out on? The sound of a 6 mile run just scares me, but I'm pretty sure I could handle 2 or 3
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Natrone
In that case....

id start with 2 miles if you dont do a whole lot of athletic stuff..i mean better to start off easy rather than kill yourself right? and if thats fine maybe do 2.5 the next day and just keep increasing.
Read post above yours dude
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Jesstaa
I've given up guitar for walking, I can't run for ****. Most I've run was like a mile, and I was ****ed lol.

I should probably run more, ey?

anyone can run long distance with enough practice and pacing themselves
Quote by MattsRichardson
ha i think thats where i could be considered crazy. i love being sore, sore means you tore muscle and its gonna rebuild stronger...which makes me want to run more cuz i know im actually accomplishing something ha

sore is good, the lactic acid is the catalyst for the release of endorphins (runners high), but when you're in agony it's a lot harder. the best way to deal with that is to get onto a stationary bike and use that for 20 minutes. that way it gets rid of the lactic acid, so you still get the soreness from muscle tearing (this cannot be gotten rid of no matter what) but it does get rid of the uncomfortable burning from the lactic acid.
Quote by chiliwillifreak
How long d'ya recon before you started to see improvement?
(Question pointed at the hardcore runners)

hmmm its kinda different for everyone and how hard you train and how far you push yourself. but generally if you mean like timewise it takes a long time to improve but just like improving like not hurting takes a couple weeks of running 5 days a week id say.
Quote by Natrone
In that case....

On that topic, anyone know if the Nike+ stuff is any good??

I run every morning, but I do more running in the off season (football)

I have an iPod nano, but I don't know if it's worth the extra cash buy the actual shoes & sensor? Can anyone help me there?
I think its time to pack your things lets go,
To a place where we both know,
And dont worry, I'll drive real slow,
Spend some time before we go..
Quote by MattsRichardson
anyone can run long distance with enough practice and pacing themselves

one of my cousins does the run from Keswick to Barrow-In-Furness every single year. majority of the people who show up walk it, he runs it. I'm astounded by how far he can run. I don't think i could hope to finish that while running.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
sore is good, the lactic acid is the catalyst for the release of endorphins (runners high), but when you're in agony it's a lot harder. the best way to deal with that is to get onto a stationary bike and use that for 20 minutes. that way it gets rid of the lactic acid, so you still get the soreness from muscle tearing (this cannot be gotten rid of no matter what) but it does get rid of the uncomfortable burning from the lactic acid.

stretching out before and after (especially after) will also help get rid of the lactic acid. and make sure to cool down somehow after you run whether it be a suuuuper slow jog or walking a little ways.. it will help to achieve the same result
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
one of my cousins does the run from Keswick to Barrow-In-Furness every single year. majority of the people who show up walk it, he runs it. I'm astounded by how far he can run. I don't think i could hope to finish that while running.

ha yea at the BBQ i was at i was talkin to a couple people who ran a marathon this morning...sounds like hell lol
I just remembered that my most painful distance running experiences have been baseball practices. Having to wear sweats and a hoody in 70-85 F weather is NOT fun. Do you guys do that or is it just stupid?
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Wells-Zeppelin
On that topic, anyone know if the Nike+ stuff is any good??

I run every morning, but I do more running in the off season (football)

I have an iPod nano, but I don't know if it's worth the extra cash buy the actual shoes & sensor? Can anyone help me there?

It's good stuff. It's nice to have an (approximate) idea of how many calories you're burning. but it's not necessary. It's more of a motivational tool. if you've been jogging for 30 minutes, you've burned aroundt 500 calories. the problem with that stuff though, is the shoes themselves. they are very good shoes, but they're very expensive. however if you're serious about running its very important to invest in very good shoes. so I'd say it's better to spend $150 now on a good pair of nike trainers that you might get a 2 or 3000 miles out of, rather than go out and buy cheaper shoes and end up with damaged bones in your feet, and much more frequent purchases.
Quote by Natrone
I just remembered that my most painful distance running experiences have been baseball practices. Having to wear sweats and a hoody in 70-85 F weather is NOT fun. Do you guys do that or is it just stupid?

i dont do that i try to just be in a tshirt and shorts anytime i run. its more comfortable lol
I use to run about 3 miles a day, but then I recently joined a gym and my body feels too sore to move.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Last edited by Soul Power at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Natrone

i live in canada, when i go running in the winter i wear a hoodie, a sweatshirt, and track pants since it's -30 celsius outside. in the summer however i either wear a T-shirt and shorts, or a tank top and tear-away track pants.
Alrighty then...so shopping list...

Nike+ (my current Nike's are all too beat to properly run in)
iPod
Motivational speaker
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by Silverstein14

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Page 1 of 4