Walked into GC looking to buy a Spidervalve, walked out with a Peavy Vypyr 120w 212 all-tube powered amp.

it was $574 and i got the 2 year plan for 50 bucks so it ended up around 660. thank you 4th of July sale.

this thing is freaking loud and I'm still learning all the features this thing has.

I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase, the only thing is that i had to take the display model because they had none in the back but they said i could swap out the display model for a boxed one once the new shipment comes in.. But I know the one I have now works good so i might just keep it.

any one else have this amp? what should i look out for and what presets do you recommend?

TIA
little bit of sunshine
Congrats! Are they actually full tube and not hybrid? How many tubes does it run?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
^ Four 6L6s power amp and one or two 12AX7s in the preamp for the 120w version IIRC. Otherwise they're TransTube.

Pics/clips or it didn't happen!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 5, 2009,
Really? Wow, that is indeed impressive. Interesting...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
heres a crappy pic, its late so no sound clips but i promise it sounds good.

little bit of sunshine
well its certainly a step up from your previous amp
but i still find digital amps are still to fake sounding no matter how many valves they cram in
but if you like it then thats great
HNAD!!!!!
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by steve!
well its certainly a step up from your previous amp
but i still find digital amps are still to fake sounding no matter how many valves they cram in
but if you like it then thats great
HNAD!!!!!

You obviously haven't played a Vetta then

HNAD.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Depending on where you live and such I'd hold on to it. What kind of music to you play?

I'm sure it is hella loud. If you found a used Flextone or Vetta around you it may be better.

and yes it had 1 preamp tube along with the 4 power tubes iirc. What is you fav setting?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Depending on where you live and such I'd hold on to it. What kind of music to you play?

I'm sure it is hella loud. If you found a used Flextone or Vetta around you it may be better.

and yes it had 1 preamp tube along with the 4 power tubes iirc. What is you fav setting?

yeah there was a flextone for sale but i wanted something new.. and i really like the XXX setting, really all the settings are awesome
little bit of sunshine
Quote by M1K3A
<snip>any one else have this amp? what should i look out for and what presets do you recommend?

TIA

Had it and returned it within the week because of mechanical issues (it was a floor model) r/t overheating, which affected the computer guts I'm sure.

Returned the replacement a week later because without the overpriced foot pedal it's useless for anything but bedroom practice and soundwise (regardless of the tubes) it was Meh once the initial "wow factor" wore off (imho, but to each his own).

I really did want to like it...really!

I ended up with a Fender Blues Jr, Avatar 2x12 cabinet, and Carl Martin Quattro as a replacement for about $1000 (all used items) and never looked back.

I still do use modeling - a L6 PODX3L ->>Rocktron Power Amp --> Avatar 4x12 -- from time to time, but I'm sold on pure tube amps from here on out for the majority of my playing.
Last edited by jblittlefield at Jul 5, 2009,
$200 for that foot pedal is NOT overpriced. Two very good expression pedals, a tuner, 400 presets, and what? 10 switches? Not to mention the looper function.
Quote by eXperiment63
$200 for that foot pedal is NOT overpriced. Two very good expression pedals, a tuner, 400 presets, and what? 10 switches? Not to mention the looper function.

OK, not overpriced, but pretty much a necessity which turns a $600 amp into an $800 amp -- and the Vypyr ain't worth $800 AFAIAC -- hence the reason I opted for the rig I did...a couple hundred more for much better tone, more versatility .

Hey, I ain't a Vypyr hater, but I had issues with the amp -- as have many -- and to me the sound quality wasn't good enough to make me want to deal with 'em. At least I ain't one of those that comments w/o at least having put the product in question through its paces...
Quote by MatrixClaw
You obviously haven't played a Vetta then

HNAD.

no i havent but for the price of it id rather get an orange
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by jblittlefield
OK, not overpriced, but pretty much a necessity which turns a $600 amp into an $800 amp -- and the Vypyr ain't worth $800 AFAIAC

It all depends on what you want your rig to do. The vypyr is a high-quality tube-powered modeling amp for those who need extreme versatility. $800 for 120 watts of tube power and a footcontroller that makes a pedalboard useless, that is not a lot of money.

If you have a specific sound you are after, of course you would rather get something else, but if you have a very wide group of sounds you need, you need something that can handle them all.

The vypyr can put out AMAZING mesa and 6505 tones. As well as very very convincing Fender cleans, if you take your time EQing it.
Quote by steve!

Since when can you get an Orange for $300?

Don't you dare say a Crush.
Quote by steve!

You can find an Orange better than a Vetta for $600 or less?

I've never tried/heard an Orange that made me want to dump my Vetta for it, nor have I heard any amp (Diezel included), that'd I'd sell this thing for.

I spent $300 on it, and I'm much more satisfied with its tone than the countless other high end amps I bought before it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com