I just had a random thought, is it possible? Would the lack of gravity screw with the string vibration?
No. Vibration is based on tension. It's not being directed towards gravity, it's vibrating in the direction it was picked.

EDIT: No as in No, it would not affect the string vibrations. Not No as in No it could not be done. So No as in Yes, it could be done. Capiche?
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Last edited by scrambler_66 at Jul 5, 2009,
Wouldn't the fact that we have gravity make string vibration more restricted anyway? So if anything, you might have a bit more sustain without gravity lol.

Meh, I don't know **** about physics.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
wow thats a good question thats gotta feel awkword tho ? and would your guitar be detuned if you had a floyd rose in a spacy inviorment is what i just thought of, cause i noiticed when i tilt my guitar with a floyd rose on it to sit on my lap the tuning slightly changes (not that mutch tho, just a lil flat)

Edit: my mind was playing tricks on me i think
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Jul 5, 2009,
0G environment is not possible, since any object with mass creates gravity.
Check out my band Disturbed
Wouldn't that fuck with the sound waves anyway? Or is this just my lack of science education biting me in the ass?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Jesstaa
Wouldn't the fact that we have gravity make string vibration more restricted anyway? So if anything, you might have a bit more sustain without gravity lol.

Meh, I don't know **** about physics.
No, but you would have more sustain in a frictionless environment.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by selibucaz
wow thats a good question thats gotta feel awkword tho ? and would your guitar be detuned if you had a floyd rose in a spacy inviorment is what i just thought of, cause i noiticed when i tilt my guitar with a floyd rose on it to sit on my lap the tuning slightly changes (not that mutch tho, just a lil flat)

Lol, your guitar shouldn't do that, Floyds are based on tension, you have to have them balanced between the tension of the springs and of the strings.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by StewieSwan
0G environment is not possible, since any object with mass creates gravity.

This, and for what TS is thinking about, yeah you could. Gravity doesn't do shit.
Quote by Avedas
This, and for what TS is thinking about, yeah you could. Gravity doesn't do shit.

Yeah, screw gravity! *Flys away*
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by Hergiswi
Wouldn't that fuck with the sound waves anyway? Or is this just my lack of science education biting me in the ass?

Yes
Quote by flashmdg
Yes

Wrong. The thing you're thinking of is a lack of air, which is a medium for sound waves to travel through.
The playground of the world
Quote by selibucaz

That shouldn't happen :|
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by devilzdj4
But isn't outer space a 0G environment...?

Nope. Incredibly small fraction of 1G.
Quote by scrambler_66
Yeah, screw gravity! *Flys away*

HAHAHAHA, how do you put stuff in your signature? I have never done it before.
Quote by Jesstaa
Lol, your guitar shouldn't do that, Floyds are based on tension, you have to have them balanced between the tension of the springs and of the strings.

its slight and barley noiticeable and i do have it balnced, its just the extra kick of gravity seems like it will slightly detune when i tilt my guitar to my lap lol

Edit: nvmd it was my mind playing tricks on me
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
Last edited by selibucaz at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by GoldfishMoon
HAHAHAHA, how do you put stuff in your signature? I have never done it before.

Quote what you want to have in your sig, copy and paste it, go to Control Panel, go to Edit Signature, ????, profit.
The playground of the world
Quote by flashmdg
Yes

Uh, no. Sound waves are mechanical waves, which require a medium to travel through. They can't go through vacuums like space.
Quote by devilzdj4
Huh.

Cool...

Your mere presence in a theoretical 0G environment would nullify the concept because even human beings have a gravitational field.

Ok, I'm done being smart now...
Provided you are playing in a pressurized atmosphere environment, a guitar should work perfectly well. If you're using an electric, I'd recommend humbuckers, I don't know what being up there with cosmic radiation, the Van Allen belt, and Earth's magnetic field will do in terms of interference on single pickups.

It's a bit of a challenge to fix yourself and the instrument in place, but it just takes a bit of ingenuity. Provided it passes the NASA tests, astronauts can and have taken instruments with them to the ISS, including what I assume was an acoustic guitar:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/04sep_music.htm
Quote by Not a Les Paul
I'd recommend humbuckers, I don't know what being up there with Cosmic (Egg) radiation, the Van Halen belt, and Earth (Wind And Fire)'s magnetic field will do in terms of interference on single pickups.

There we are.
Gravity is weak. Inertia is rabid, yo.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!