I just adjusted my guitar action for the first time. I lowered it and turned the screws on my G-400's saddle clockwise twice to lower it. Seems fine, no fret buzz and the strings are easier to press.

But I just read my manual, and it said the 'treble side' is 4/64ths of an inch, and the 'bass side' is 6/64ths of an inch....what do they mean by treble and bass sides? Does it mean the lowest E string (the highest pitched one) is 4/64th of an inch from the fretboard to the underside of the string? So the action for each string is different?

thanks
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
The Bassiest (lower toned) strings are 6/64th and the trebleiest (higher pitched) strings are 4/64th.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by ChiliFan01
The Bassiest (lower toned) strings are 6/64th and the trebleiest (higher pitched) strings are 4/64th.

That's weird...so the lowest E string is meant to be the hardest to press?

I thought all the strings were at the same height.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
That's weird...so the lowest E string is meant to be the hardest to press?

I thought all the strings were at the same height.

My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
lowest-pitched i mean...as in the thickest string....unless i am missing something.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

answer me one question how long have you been playing?
My Gig Rig...

Quote by ChiliFan01
answer me one question how long have you been playing?

just short of 4 months

the fact that i mentioned above that this is the first time i have adjusted my guitar action might have given you a clue
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
just short of 4 months

the fact that i mentioned above that this is the first time i have adjusted my guitar action might have given you a clue

well not really,many people never adjust their guitars action so its no indicator of how long you have been playing. And at 4 months i seriously wouldn't adjust the action unless its dun for you, it can go horribly wrong believe me!
My Gig Rig...

Quote by ChiliFan01
well not really,many people never adjust their guitars action so its no indicator of how long you have been playing. And at 4 months i seriously wouldn't adjust the action unless its dun for you, it can go horribly wrong believe me!

I just did and it's all fine, no fret buzz or any intonation problems.

I just didn't know that the strings all had different heights...but I adjusted the screws on both sides of the bridge with the same amount of turns, so yeah
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

So if everything is ok then the guide is irrelevant, and so is this thread.
My Gig Rig...

Last edited by ChiliFan01 at Jul 5, 2009,
Yes you set a bridge with a slope. And no-one has told you why! Thicker strings vibrate more than thin ones. 4/64 inch at 12th fret is fairly high for a high e string. that's 1.6mm which is upper end of the range most players use. However, a few facts might be valuable to you now. Fret buzz is not the only consideration when setting action. Before you can hear fret buzz there is an area where a sort of damping happens. If you need that low an action, then you have to compromise on tone and sustain.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Yes you set a bridge with a slope. And no-one has told you why! Thicker strings vibrate more than thin ones. 4/64 inch at 12th fret is fairly high for a high e string. that's 1.6mm which is upper end of the range most players use. However, a few facts might be valuable to you now. Fret buzz is not the only consideration when setting action. Before you can hear fret buzz there is an area where a sort of damping happens. If you need that low an action, then you have to compromise on tone and sustain.

Very helpful info, thanks.
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon