There is a seccond hand stingray OLP bass in my music shop for $800. It has had it's electronics all re-done, with a new pick up and now can switch between passive and active. plus it has had an extra tone control added. I was just wondering what OLP is like as a brand?? Is it respected or what?? (this bass sounds sooo nice, but i think that is because of the new pick up)... anyway could any1 fill me in?? thanks
"Is OLP just like a "squire" version of Music Man??"

Yes.

But OLP is probably better quality than Squier

My mate have OLP with Music Man pickup and
it sounds great !
Last edited by bartos at Jul 5, 2009,
OLP would probably be more like the fender mexican strats vs american, or like epiphone vs gibson. A lot better than squier but not the best either.
2 bad they're all discontinued
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
kk thanks. i think i might buy this bass, cause the new pick up sounds amazing. i was playing a music man sterling and it felt better but didn't nearly have the same tone control. so i thgink i will save that extra grand =)
Some people actually prefer the OLP's to the real thing. (Can't see why myself, but it's just personal preference I guess).

Anyway with the new pickup and tone control I'd say go for it, they're pretty good basses anyway and with the mod it'll probably sound great.
Quote by schizo83
OLP would probably be more like the fender mexican strats vs american, or like epiphone vs gibson. A lot better than squier but not the best either.

I disagree--its more like the Squier version of the Musicman. SUBs (which are also discontinued ) are really more in line with the MIM Fenders. It goes like this

OLP < SUB < Musicman.

There's a huge difference between the OLP and SUB by the way. Play one once and it'll be quite apparent.
Quote by anarkee
I disagree--its more like the Squier version of the Musicman. SUBs (which are also discontinued ) are really more in line with the MIM Fenders. It goes like this

OLP < SUB < Musicman.

There's a huge difference between the OLP and SUB by the way. Play one once and it'll be quite apparent.

+1

I own a SUB, played an OLP and have a Stingray on rent, and the OLP is easily the most inferior of the three. To my ear, the controls for tone shaping are very limited, so even if you replaced the stock pup, it still won't sound quite like a Stingray. The SUB is actually a Stingray made with cheaper materials and minus a tone knob, it comes close, but the tone of the Stingray can come from nothing but a Stingray.