I i played for example a B diminished arpeggio (bdim being the 7th chord in the key i think) in the key of CMajor, would that be 'in key' and sound okay?
if I'm sure, then yea, but...uh my sig..not that on point with my music stuff
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
Yes, you would nromally use the Bdim to resolve back to the Cmaj7 though. So you might have a progression in C major of Dmin7 G7 Bdim (or Bmb7b5) Cmaj7.
if you are soloing and play that arpeggio, it really depends what is behind you. If there is a C chord behind you it might sound a little odd.

as above said, it will resolve to a C (or G as the fifth)
Quote by mdwallin
if you are soloing and play that arpeggio, it really depends what is behind you. If there is a C chord behind you it might sound a little odd.

as above said, it will resolve to a C (or G as the fifth)

I understand.

Slightly different but it was mentioned before Bdim would resolve to Cmaj7. I understand the MmmMMmd thing but how and when do 7ths and 9ths etc come into it?
Last edited by RichT. at Jul 5, 2009,
the c major scale harmonizes into:
Cmaj7
Dm7
Em
Fmaj7
G7
Am
Bdim (Bmb7b5)

or, any key harmonizes into:

I-maj7
ii-7
iii-7
IV-maj7
V-7
vi-7
vii-b7b5

it is my understanding that ninth chords are mostly used for decoration instead of function.
True, except that from my understaning a viib7b5 is actuall a half dimisnished, rather than fully diminished chord, but they serve effectively the same purpose.

yes 9th 13th etc are known as "chord extensions" there main function being to creaye colour. They are obtained by "adding" notes onto a chord, so for example adding the 2nd note of a scale (which is no the 9th becuase you have gone through an ocatave from the first note of the chord) you get a G9 chord. If you added the 6th note of the scale (which is now the 13th (the octave+6 notes above) you get a G13 etc. Great chords. Minor 9th and 13ths are also beautiful, and minor 11s.
Quote by RichT.
I understand.

Slightly different but it was mentioned before Bdim would resolve to Cmaj7. I understand the MmmMMmd thing but how and when do 7ths and 9ths etc come into it?

The MmmMMmd thing comes from stacking triads on the staff with the key signature, do the same but stack 7th chords. And then figure out their quality.