I've been using combos so I don't really know too much about stacks. I'm wondering, can you just buy the head/top part and use it? or how does that work?
You need to have the voltage and stuff correct for the head and speakers you are using, otherwise you will blow it out or it wont work right.
It just means the speakers are in a seperate cabinet from the actual amplifier. It's as simple as running a spaker cable between the two. I feel it adds a level of versatility you wouldn't get with combos in that you can mix and match amps and speakers.

If you run a valve head without a speaker load you WILL very likely destroy it. Always have the speakers connected when the amp is turned on.
hmm, I have always wondered why its not good to turn the head on with out the speakers. Can someone explain?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
hmm, I have always wondered why its not good to turn the head on with out the speakers. Can someone explain?

If you think of the speakers as an outlet for the power running through the amp, removing the speakers is essentially like forcing the electricity down a dead end alleyway. It can't end well.
^^^shouldn't removing the speakers just break the circuit, so it's like turning on a lightswitch with no bulb?
Quote by tom1thomas1
^^^shouldn't removing the speakers just break the circuit, so it's like turning on a lightswitch with no bulb?

The speakers don't make a circuit though; they are an output. They turn the electrical energy into kinetic energy to produce sound so removing them effectively throws a brick wall into the path of the electricity.
Quote by tom1thomas1

Try it.

Your amp will just go boom. No biggie. If you're not shell-shocked, with a concussion and still have your hearing, you can always just drive down to guitar centre and buy a new amp in the same day.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Snake_42
The speakers don't make a circuit though; they are an output. They turn the electrical energy into kinetic energy to produce sound so removing them effectively throws a brick wall into the path of the electricity.

This is wrong, your in the right direction, but no dice.

The speakers provide electrical resistance so that the power transfered from your amp head is effectively "dissolved" (not technically the best term but it might give a good enough picture in your head). The speakers "dissolve" the power whether theyr producing sound (longitudinal kinetic energy waves) or just completely idle.

O yeh, and the reason amp makers don't just put a resistor in the amp head it's self so that you can run it without a cab would be (i guess) because amps are meant to be used with speakers attatched. It'd just be an unnecessary cost.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by James13v
This is wrong, your in the right direction, but no dice.

The speakers provide electrical resistance so that the power transfered from your amp head is effectively "dissolved" (not technically the best term but it might give a good enough picture in your head). The speakers "dissolve" the power whether theyr producing sound (longitudinal kinetic energy waves) or just completely idle.

O yeh, and the reason amp makers don't just put a resistor in the amp head it's self so that you can run it without a cab would be (i guess) because amps are meant to be used with speakers attatched. It'd just be an unnecessary cost.

I know how speakers work. I was just trying to create an image of the current flowing freely in one direction if that makes sense. I probably could have worded it better.
Quote by James13v

Some amps do have load resistors, I know the mesa F30 I had had a speaker mute switch which must've used some sort of power resistor. The problem with power resistors is the weight. A tube amp already has a large power transformer and a large output transformer and when you start throwing more crap in there it just get heavier and heavier. You ever wondered why a roadster combo weighs 100 pounds?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not