So my YCS50 is tubed with sovtek 5881's and 12ax7's. Im retubing it with EL34's just because i want it to sound like a differently voiced amp. and im pretty much just experimenting. so, what type of 12ax7/el34's should i use? the traynor is naturally bright and im hoping for a darker, higher gain amp. halp.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Seeing as you have no replies, I'll give you a bone. And then I read the thread. I don't know wtf you're talking about, sorry, Not a tube expert
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Might want to get some more info on your amp. It may not be as simple as swapping the power tubes. A quick google found you may not have enough bias range with EL34s. Also the current draw is different between the 2 tubes. Unless yours has a switch for the 2 tube types. As for darker and more gain you might try EQing and an OD first. Not sure how much more gain you expect to get with a tube swap.
Quote by Tackleberry
Might want to get some more info on your amp. It may not be as simple as swapping the power tubes. A quick google found you may not have enough bias range with EL34s. Also the current draw is different between the 2 tubes. Unless yours has a switch for the 2 tube types. As for darker and more gain you might try EQing and an OD first. Not sure how much more gain you expect to get with a tube swap.

YCS50's can take 6L6 or El34 type tubes. I believe it says it in the manual. There is a bias pot so you can adjust the bias for either 6L6 or El34 type.

EDIT: TS, you MUST record clips if you retube it with EL34s or KT77s!!! I also have a YCS50 I'd love to hear how it sounds with these tubes.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Last edited by BD 425 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by BD 425
TS, you MUST record clips if you retube it with EL34s or KT77s!!! I also have a YCS50 I'd love to hear how it sounds with these tubes.

yeah sure thing. i'll do a before and after clip.
Quote by kyle62
I'd buy the YCV50 KT77 High Gain kit from Eurotubes:

Full retube kits for the Traynor YCV50

wait what? my amp is a YCS50.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator