Currently i am using gauge 9 strings, so they are pretty thin, they are perfect for me in standard tuning, however when i put it in drop D, the top string seems a bit to lose, and if played hard you can hear it twang, cant really play it open without it twanging a lot. So what gauge strings would be ideal for drop d tuning? cheers
I agree with above. 10-52 are great for drop D. You just need to build up the strength for bending 10s in standard tuning. .9s are TINY.
10 -52 skinny top heavy bottom
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
My preferred gauges (for all my guitars, regardless of model or tuning) are: 11-15-22-30-42-54.

The heavier gauges sound better to my ears, and as I play rhythm guitar I'm not really concerned about string bending (although I have no problem doing so with these strings).
^Mine is 11-15-20P-34-46-56 for my eletrics. That's for either Eb or D. I use 13s on my acoustic.
Quote by jblittlefield
My preferred gauges (for all my guitars, regardless of model or tuning) are: 11-15-22-30-42-54.

The heavier gauges sound better to my ears, and as I play rhythm guitar I'm not really concerned about string bending (although I have no problem doing so with these strings).

+1, love the heavier strings as well on ALL of my axes.
I use 11/49's and also don't have a problem bending.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads