Hello, I've been playing an Acoustic Guitar for about ~5 months, and well there aren't many players here where i live, guitars aren't popular, so i have noone to compare myself to and i was just anxious to know, if I've made good progress in these 5 months. Sorry if the question seems stupid, or not really important, but I'm just wondering if I'm progressing at a decent speed or slow.

Anyway, I know mostly all of the chord formulas, including chords with Add's if you know what i mean, i know the major scale in one position, because our guitar teacher said that's enough for us, since most of the time were studying how chords are made up, chord progressions, and most of that stuff is based on the major scale. I learned on my own the 5 patterns of the minor Pentatonic scale and how to play in them at a decent speed. The techniques - i can hammer on pretty good, still have sometimes struggles with pull-offs but mostly fine. i can vibrato decently, i only have a little bit more trouble using bends when playing fast. Songs i can play. Well i never really much focused on learning songs, mostly played exercises to build up my speed and technique, but i have learned a few ( they go in order from the first i learned to the last ) :

Horse With No Name - America ( incredibly simple song, only two chords, that's why i learned it first and later on i used its strumming pattern and improvised with different chords in that pattern, it's fun when I'm tired of exercises )

Cold Comfort - Blues ( nothing much to say, a simple song for beginners and fun to play, took me less than an hour to be able to play it at a decent speed ) tabs - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/blues/cold_comfort_tab.htm

House of Jazz - Ac/Dc ( I haven't exactly learned it, here are the tabs http://www.911tabs.com/link/?5378235 , i learned the intro, riff 1, riff 1 a and b, riff 2, the reason for this is because i can't figure out the rhythm for other riffs )

Spanish Romance ( tabs http://www.guitarmasta.net/m/misc_traditional/281276.html , nothing else to say )

Well, i wrote a lot Anyway, i hope you say what you really think about me, if i should know more at this point, say so, i want to know. I practice mostly an hour or two a day. Also any advice on some not easy but still beginner friendly songs i can learn? Most of the stuff i find is either too easy or too hard.

Thank you for your time

P.S My English is not perfect, sorry if there are some parts you might find confusing due to my English.

P.P.S I can play all of those songs with with fingers or with a pick, except for Spanish Romance. On House of Jazz however i prefer a pick.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 5, 2009,
I'd say you're progressing at a decent pace. Its great that you're learning theory as well.

As for beginner friendly songs, I"d say try out

Dammit - Blink 182 (Mostly power chords but the intro riff might give you something to work on)
The Hell Song - Sum 41 (Intro riff is a pretty good finger exercise)
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Pretty easy song, try learning it with finger picking, and using a pick)

I don't precisely remember exactly what I played at your level, but I think those are good songs to try out. Might be too easy for you, but if its not, try it out.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
There is no "should", and listing a bunch of stuff and asking for people to rate you is pointless. You're as good as you are and you'll get as good as you're going to be...you know the stuff you've learned and practiced properly, you don't know the stuff you haven't. There's no such thing as levels on the guitar, and everybody learns different things in different ways so comparing yourself to others serves no purpose whatsoever. Also, listing things means nothing because it gives no indication as to how well you can do the things you say, and invariably other people are going to be far more objective in their assessment than you yourself will be. If you want to know then upload some recordings to your profile and ask people to comment on them.

One thing you'll realise very soon is that you'll think EVERY guitarist is better than you, and in a way they are because every single guitarist you meet is going to know something you don't or be able to do something you can't. It might not be much, it might not be complex, it could be the simplest little thing but it'll cause you to percieve them as having more ability/knowledge because it highlights a gap in your own.

And it's all bollocks ultimately because it doesn't matter one bit, because other people are not you. and what they have or haven't done has absolutely zero bearing on what you can or can't do on the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There is no "should", and listing a bunch of stuff and asking for people to rate you is pointless. You're as good as you are and you'll get as good as you're going to be...you know the stuff you've learned and practiced properly, you don't know the stuff you haven't. There's no such thing as levels on the guitar, and everybody learns different things in different ways so comparing yourself to others serves no purpose whatsoever. Also, listing things means nothing because it gives no indication as to how well you can do the things you say, and invariably other people are going to be far more objective in their assessment than you yourself will be. If you want to know then upload some recordings to your profile and ask people to comment on them.

One thing you'll realise very soon is that you'll think EVERY guitarist is better than you, and in a way they are because every single guitarist you meet is going to know something you don't or be able to do something you can't. It might not be much, it might not be complex, it could be the simplest little thing but it'll cause you to percieve them as having more ability/knowledge because it highlights a gap in your own.

And it's all bollocks ultimately because it doesn't matter one bit, because other people are not you. and what they have or haven't done has absolutely zero bearing on what you can or can't do on the guitar.

You missed the point really, this wasn't a thread to find out if i am good or bad, i just wanted to know if i am progressing slow or fast or at a decent pace. Tho now when i kind of think about it, the thread title can be a bit misleading. I know I'm not good, that's why i said I'm still a beginner ( didn't exactly say beginner, just said that i play for ~5 months which can be understood as "beginner" ), i just want to know if i am progressing fast or slow, and if I'm progressing fast well yipiee, but if I'm slow well so be it, gonna double or triple the amount that i currently put in for practicing.

Also, you might be wondering why do i want to progress fast, you might say " just progress at YOUR pace " . Well the reason for this might be weird or dumb, but it's for my guitar teacher. Hes a really nice man, hes been playing guitar since he was nine years old and now hes about ~50. So yeah, hes a really nice man and very enthusiastic about his work. He is very happy when a student of his does his homework, or even does more than he asks off. There were no lessons during the summer, since he said he had to go to a bunch of rock festivals during the summer and lessons start again in September, so when September comes, i want to be able to make him happy, that a student of his is evolving.

Edit to Sea Gull, gona send you a pm to continue this argue to avoid off topic spam here
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 5, 2009,
And you missed my point - it doesn't matter. YOU have never learned to play the guitar before therefore there's no precendent set for how long things are supposed to take, how fast or slow other people have progressed is irrelevant because it has absolutely no influence on your own development.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just wanted to say that i uploaded one cover song on my profile. A pretty simple one. Cold Comfort. You'll notice that on 1:04 i do a huge mistake, but i thought I'd upload it anyway. Also, sorry for all squeaking Feedback is welcome, bad or good, i really don't care as long as its feedback.
Hey Shinami,

I agree with steven seagull that it just doesn't matter. You'll learn at your own pace, and that depends on many many many factors. There are people out there that practice for 3 hours a day. After 5 months they're going to be spectacularly better than those that practice for 15 minutes a day.

I did listen to your cover, very nice. I was impressed. I'm around the 6 month mark and playing electric so have nothing to compare it with, but I think you did a good job.
I'm also in the "don't compare yourself to others" camp. There are so many factors that can influence how fast you pick up guitar, such as how much time you spend playing each day. How focused you are in your practices, how consistent you practice. Have you ever played a musical instrument before? Kids who grew up taking piano lessons are going to have an easier time. Kids who grew up singing a lot, and may have a better ear for music, may have an advantage. Just focus on improving and don't worry about how good everyone else was after 5 months.
I'd say 5 months is pretty early for being concerned how well you can play. By the sounds of it, you're doing quite well. Just make sure to practice EVERY day, and if you don't practice every day, make up for it the next time you do.

It sucks to begin with, but once you hit that 'step up' you'll be obsessed with wanting to get better
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule