Hello once again, Ultimate-Guitar. Some of you may remember me previously expressing my displease to the Orange Crush 35B; just as a recap, I bought an Orange Crush 35B that had a weird resonating speaker that delayed in responding to notes in the lower register of a bass guitar, so I returned it and received a full store credit for the purchase. I was considering buying a Kustom KBA10 amplifier instead, but the store now tells me that Kustom has raised their prices this year and I don't want it anymore, since the price was one of the best things about it. I never knew finding a new practice amplifier could be so hard! So long story short, I've returned to you wonderful people for input on what I should be buying, I've tried trusting my own instinct and that seems to have failed so I want to see what you people recommend. I will try before I buy etc. etc. but I am seeking advice, though I do apologise for the really overdone thread.

I'm going to make this a bit easier on you people and organise this nicely and try and be as specific as I can about what I'm looking for, so bear with me. What I am looking for in an amplifier are:

• Build Quality, yes I don't want the amplifier to feel cheap, such as the control knobs etc. (an example would be the Behringer amplifiers I have inspected, the control knobs have good resistance, but I feel as if I could pull the parts off reasonably easy). So generally something that's sturdy and feels and looks nice.
  • Sound Quality, I don't want a one trick pony; I'd like an amplifier that caters to a range of sounds and performs them well. I wasn't too impressed with the Orange and I'm starting to lose hope in the sound quality of small combo amplifiers, but I hear so much praise for some and I'd really want to share this joy.
  • Features, I want cool features on the amplifier that give me a bit to play around with. One of the reasons I sold my Fender Rumble 15 is because it simply had a 3-band EQ and a volume control; how fun.
  • Low Wattage, I get a lot of people recommending me big 100 watt amplifiers, this simply will not do! I live in an apartment, I have respect for people's privacy and alone time, I do not want a really loud amplifier, this is strictly practice. If I want a band practice amplifier, first I'll find a bad to play with, then come back here and ask for a good loud amplifier, but until then, it's just a small home practice amplifier.
  • Small Size & Light Weight, I really don't enjoy carrying my amplifier (even around the house) when it weighs about 10 kilograms. I'm not strong and girls beat me in arm wrestles, it's what going through Anorexia will do to you. Also, I'd like an amplifier that is small in size, when my Orange Crush 35B arrived, I was kind of a bit surprised on its gargantuan size for what it pushed out.

Price Limit: $500 AUD, which is $399.25 USD, so let's say $400 USD.
Genres I Play: This sounds a bit embarrassing, but I haven't actually learned many full songs on the bass guitar at all. So when people ask me what I play, I usually don't know what to say. Though if I was stranded on an island with me and my bass, I'd probably learn classic & modern rock and a bit of metal. That being said leave all other genres open too; I may grow up to be a contemporary jazz artist, who knows, right?

If I have missed out on any information you may need, let me know. Thank you in advance to all the people willing to help out. I really want to get my choice right this time. Oh, also, I don't mind buying used, but there is no assurance I'll get a used <insert amplifier name here> as the used market is very random. Another thing also, even though Acoustic (the company) looks to make promising amplifiers, I cannot buy them as I am Australian and they aren't stocked here at all. Regards.
http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/bass/kustom/kba35dfx.htm

Well within your budget, added effects, which won't be that great, but good as a taster, if you will. Kustom are loud for their wattage, but you just keep it at low volumes. Sure, it's a tad heavy, but it isn't that bulky, which is probably the reason the Orange felt heavier. My 410 cab isn't that heavy, but it's bulky which makes it feel heavier, if you get me.

Even with the price increase, you should've gone for the KBA10 in all honesty.
do you live in perth? if so billy hyde's just had a sale and joondalup music has one on so and try the stock leftover and see if you like it.

did you get billy sheehans signature we did the clinic for Kosmic?

EDIT:
ah, sydney, then i don't know just try out all the amps in your local stores.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/bass/kustom/kba35dfx.htm Well within your budget, added effects, which won't be that great, but good as a taster, if you will. Kustom are loud for their wattage, but you just keep it at low volumes. Sure, it's a tad heavy, but it isn't that bulky, which is probably the reason the Orange felt heavier. My 410 cab isn't that heavy, but it's bulky which makes it feel heavier, if you get me. Even with the price increase, you should've gone for the KBA10 in all honesty.

Thanks for your input, it looks great. Why is it I still should go with the KBA10, sure it's still an option. I was also just thinking that for the price I could get a better used amplifier, I can see a nice Ashdown Perfect Ten that's used up for auction, that could be alright?

Quote by SOADriff
do you live in perth? if so billy hyde's just had a sale and joondalup music has one on so and try the stock leftover and see if you like it.

did you get billy sheehans signature we did the clinic for Kosmic?

EDIT:
ah, sydney, then i don't know just try out all the amps in your local stores.

Yeah I live in Sydney. I think there's a Billy Hyde music somewhere around here so that's always an option. Yeah I got Billy Sheehan's signature at one of his clinics at Allan's Music, he signed my Squire Affinity P-Bass! Kind of sad really, it gives me more of a reason to keep it, even though I don't want to.
Quote by cjlane
Thanks for your input, it looks great. Why is it I still should go with the KBA10, sure it's still an option. I was also just thinking that for the price I could get a better used amplifier, I can see a nice Ashdown Perfect Ten that's used up for auction, that could be alright?

I meat about at the time you were consdering the KBA10. The other Kustom would probably be better in the long run, since they're pretty loud ams for their wattage (I was using a KBA10 at band practices, and could still be heard against 2 guitars, drums and vocalist). Maybe it was just the room we were in, so I would recommend a larger amp than the KBA10.

I've never played the Perfect Ten, but I do play Ashdown, and have played many different Ashdown amps and they're great.