Hey guys,
I bought an Ashdown MAG300H head with a 4x10" cabinet to go with it together half a year ago. I recently decided that I want to go up a notch in my rig and make amp/tuner/effects rack-based. The only problem is that my MAG head isn't by stock designed to be a rack head. Walking through thomann.de i noticed that many brands (Markbass and etc.) have "rack kits" for their regular heads, which are basically horizontal extentions with handles. I wanted to ask you guys, if anyone has tried these kits on an ashdown brand head and how well do they fulfill their purpouse (Stay in place, reliability)
Cheers.
Last edited by nesveikuolis at Jul 6, 2009,
Nope, your head is built into that box and cant be removed, well without a lot of work. Youll need to get a new head or just put a rack on top of your head. Luckily i bought a 600R so it fits nicely into my 6u SKB rack case.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well... It's only 4 top screws But I'm still concidering getting a rack for effects/tuner. For sure, my next head will be a rackmount.
Quote by fatgoogle
Nope, your head is built into that box and cant be removed, well without a lot of work. Youll need to get a new head or just put a rack on top of your head. Luckily i bought a 600R so it fits nicely into my 6u SKB rack case.

*Undoes 4 screws and slides head out of box*

I'm not sure if kits are usable between brands, or if the coverless amp has the same dimensions as the rack mounted one... I'd say sell off the 300H and find yourself a 300R.
so its completly locked all over. well measure it and see if its 19" and if it is it will then work i suppose.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Deliriumbassist
*Undoes 4 screws and slides head out of box*

I'm not sure if kits are usable between brands, or if the coverless amp has the same dimensions as the rack mounted one... I'd say sell off the 300H and find yourself a 300R.

The problem is simple I haven't seen a 300R (or 600R) in Lithuania. Ever. Not even in gigs. It's always either a AMB stack, or a MAG halfstack, or a MAG 1x15" combo. In fact, the only decent rackmountable bass head I've seen here is the Ampeg SVT4PRO (Which I'm looking to buy at some point)
well youll have to find ears to make up the extra lenght thats all
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks for the info If anyone (Perferably with experience) could give me exact product names, that I should use, I would be greatfull
I would measure evreything first, gap between screws etc. and then email people/companies who make rack ears and ask if any of their products fit what you need.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I would measure evreything first, gap between screws etc. and then email people/companies who make rack ears and ask if any of their products fit what you need.

I assume you can get them custom made off tinternet. Hell, i bet you could give a craft-y mate 100 euros and some beer and get them to do it.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
I assume you can get them custom made off tinternet. Hell, i bet you could give a craft-y mate 100 euros and some beer and get them to do it.

I did concider having one of my friends help me out with that. I sketched up a thingy, thats basically a aluminium sleeve for the amp to sit in, made into the dimensions of a rackamp (2u, possibly 3u). The amp is to be held in place by the same screws that hold it in its original sleeve. If the resourses aren't too pricy, I'll stick to that. Otherwise, I'll have to check if other thomann kits work for me.
I'm tempted to do a similar thing to make my amp easier to use with the second cab, can anyone see any problems with using just the head straight out of the combo? Or would it be a better idea to saw the top of the combo box off and make up a surround for the head? Or I could go with an idea like the TC with an aluminium sleeve.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
I'm tempted to do a similar thing to make my amp easier to use with the second cab, can anyone see any problems with using just the head straight out of the combo? Or would it be a better idea to saw the top of the combo box off and make up a surround for the head? Or I could go with an idea like the TC with an aluminium sleeve.

Well, I would never saw off the top off. That would destroy the resale value. If you're doing some really heavy customisation (Not just in gear) take in to account the resale value of the item. I, personally, wouldn't do something that couldn't be fixed with a few screws and polishing. Best bet - unscrew the amp, remove it and make a case for it (Or like me - a rack adapter). Then you can use both cabs without any issues.