Hi, i have the Blackstar HT-5 and while its a great amp, i've come to notice that it gives me an overdrive more similar to a cranked Marshall rather than a Mesa Boogie which is the kind of tones i usually prefer. With my Keeley Modded TS-9 i just get enough gain but i would like just a bit different tone.

Is there anything i could do, tube change perhaps?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Stupid question, but have you turned the ISF to the American side and turned the mids down? The ISF has much more effect when you lower the mids on these amps.
Yes. i have done that and it doesn't give me what i want exactly. Is there anything in the way of tube change that will help as it seems on most amps that the stock tubes aren't the best.

If all else fails i guess i would get a good distortion pedal but i would like to see if there are options as even though i can get a more american voicing with the ISF, it still doesn't give me that massive distortion you would get from a Dual Rectifier or Mark IV.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
Yes. i have done that and it doesn't give me what i want exactly. Is there anything in the way of tube change that will help as it seems on most amps that the stock tubes aren't the best.

If all else fails i guess i would get a good distortion pedal but i would like to see if there are options as even though i can get a more american voicing with the ISF, it still doesn't give me that massive distortion you would get from a Dual Rectifier or Mark IV.

I've played it and it does give Mesa sounds if you need it to. C-1 Classic's pickups ain't gonna help. It has more than enough gain.

Try mids at zero and then ISF fully American.

Or:
10 bass.
0 - 2 mids.
9 treble.
ISF slightly to the british side.

It has more low end but still sounds low-middy-ish.

Just mess around with it alot.
What effect would a change to some better tubes have?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
What effect would a change to some better tubes have?

I've changed the 12ax7 in mine to a old one darkarbiter7 sent me. It smoothed out the gain and made it less sharp. That may not be what you are looking to do but I noticed a difference immediately.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I've changed the 12ax7 in mine to a old one darkarbiter7 sent me. It smoothed out the gain and made it less sharp. That may not be what you are looking to do but I noticed a difference immediately.

Oh, then thats definitely not what i'm looking for. I want it more sharp and to just be more aggressive.

Also i tried to use my 10 band in the Effects loop but it didn't work, i plugged it in and as soon as i did it just ALL volume. Like when i did, the only way i could hear it was cranking it up to 10 on the OD channel, and even then it sounded like the volume was on 0.5. I connected the send to input and the return to the output of the pedal and when it didn't work i changed it around and it still didn't work. Do you know whats wrong with it.

Also do you think a speaker change in my 2x12 would get me what i need. I'm using a Marshall 1922 with G12T-75 speakers and i was considering to get them swapped with some Vintage 30's.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
bump
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
Also i tried to use my 10 band in the Effects loop but it didn't work...

I had the same volume problem when I plugged in a noise gate to the effects loop, is the effects loop on this amp worthless or are we doing something wrong?
Quote by gregs1020
Maybe try a high gain 12ax7?
http://www.12ax7a.com/index.html

Do you know how to fix my effects loop, was i doing something wrong?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
you guys have tried both setting on the loop? beyond that, i really dont know what to suggest. my effects unit recently crapped out, started buzzing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Do you know how to fix my effects loop, was i doing something wrong?
I just tried a BBE Sonic Stomp in my HT5's loop and when I had the loop setting on +4 the sound totally cut out.
For guitar effects, the loop has to be set to the -10 setting. Once I did that everything worked normally.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION