Page 1 of 2
muse

without any shadow of a doubt.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
uhh... Muse aren't 'indie'.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Thank god you backed me up, Jackson.

Well, I s'pose I'd say Radiohead.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I don't understand the point of doing this by decade. The 2000s have been very fractured in terms of music anyway, what is the point in artificially creating a dividing line at 2000?

Neutral Milk Hotel released their records in the late 90s, but they point the way to a lot of the stuff released from 2000 on. Exactly the same with, say, Godspeed You! Black Emperor or the way Doolittle overshadowed the 90s.
My Morning Jacket. All but one album was released in the 00's, and the other one only a few months before.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
By "of the 2000s", do you mean bands/artists that started in the 2000s, or can it include folks who started in the 90s but are still making albums now?

I agree that the 2000s have been an extremely confusing and disorganized decade for music though. It's not quite fair to lump bands as being "2000s bands" because the 2000s hasn't had a single identifiable musical direction like past decades have.

My vote goes out to Radiohead though.
And if anybody would care to argue that they're not "indie", then my vote will instead go to Elliott Smith.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Really? No one's mentioned the White Stripes yet? Definitely the band I think will come the closest to "defining" indie music of the '00s.

Queens of the Stone Age, while more alternative, also have done a lot of good stuff this decade.
Well im not a massive fan, but The Arctic Monkeys were incredibly succesful
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by LordBaxtus
Really? No one's mentioned the White Stripes yet? Definitely the band I think will come the closest to "defining" indie music of the '00s.

Queens of the Stone Age, while more alternative, also have done a lot of good stuff this decade.

Maybe they "define" the garage rock revival of about 2002, but saying they therefore "define" indie in the 2000s is wildly inaccurate.

This whole thread is silly.
Yeah, silly thread. Especially if we account for the great leaps in technology that has allowed a myriad of bands to do anything they want to creatively, independently of labels while recording at their own homes, and to proliferate their work through the internet. It is hard to trace any significant trends in times teeming with so much music, and pointless to categorize it by decade anymore.
Animal Collective, The Shins, Radiohead, Broken Social Scene- those have been the superstars of "indie" (whatever that means), who have consistently been putting out stellar albums this decade.
Modest Mouse is the best ever. Their 90s stuff was the best, but their new stuff is good too. Also, Tv on the Radio is pretty good.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
silversun pickups

I don't think people should be mentioning bands that released more than one or two albums in the 90s.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I disagree strongly with the Arctic Monkeys, but I do not deny that "Whatever People...I'm Not" was a solid solid album, but Bloc Party? Seriously? Is everyone on UG a scrawny brit kid sporting asymmetrical bangs or something?
probably the arcade fire. they've the been at the top of the scene for a while. maybe radiohead, though their crown jewel was in the 90s, so probably not.
mewithoutYou.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
The Strokes clearly. People here are talking about Arctic Monkeys and they don't know they wouldn't even exist without The Strokes.
Minus The Bear.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Probably Modest Mouse.

However, I'd have to say the best band in the 00's overall is either Explosions in the Sky or Porcupine Tree. Modest Mouse is my second favorite band ever, but Good News & We Were Dead can't live up to the other two bands discography in the 00's. They weigh down TM&A just a little too much.
Quote by andregomes
The Strokes clearly. People here are talking about Arctic Monkeys and they don't know they wouldn't even exist without The Strokes.

Just what I was gonna say.

/thread
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
If we're going by bands that started in the 00's, then TV on the Radio, Tapes 'n Tapes and Silversun Pickups.

Otherwise, Radiohead.
Balls.
Last edited by rmr024 at Jul 7, 2009,
My vote goes out to the Hold Steady, second place goes to Reuben. Honourable mention for Silversun Pickups.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Eh, I could see Arcade Fire or TV on the Radio
Gear:
Ibanez JS100
03 Squier Strat
1980 Ovation Matrix Accoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Washburn T-14 Taurus (Bass)
SWR Working Pro 100 watt bass amp
SSPU's, after two fricking albums? Wait and see. I love them a ton, but there's no way I'd call them best after two very polarising albums.
I wish people would stop saying Radiohead. Yes they made good albums this decade but they formed in the 90s, released 4 or 5 albums in the 90s, they peaked in the 90s. Yes they are still around and they are still good but they are NOT a 00s band.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
The Strokes would have to come first, first in reviving the genre. In terms of British Indie, I'd hands down say the Libertines.
Quote by RHCP94
My Morning Jacket. All but one album was released in the 00's, and the other one only a few months before.

Couldn't agree more
The Libertines although The Strokes should have cred for recreating the indie genre or at least making it big again. Arctic Monkeys are just horrible.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
mewithoutYou
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
Page 1 of 2