well so i am looking to upgrade my Kustom quad DFX65.

so i want to know which one would be better,

a Line 6 spider 3 150.

or a Peavy Vypyr tube 120.

Help me out good guitar world.
youre obviously new to these waters. nobody here will ever recomend that you go near a spider.

but yeah, like nightraven said, im curious to why you would want/need these
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
I bought a peavey Vypyr 100 over a Line 6 Spider III 75/150 (I could have bought either wattage)

In terms of volume the Vypyr Valve will be louder due to having valves.

Try them both out and see which models you like more. I found the Vypyr had more variety, because the Spider seemed to be all about nu/alt/prog metal tones, whereas the Vypyr does great rock and blues tones as well as crazy metal ones.
I think the real question is:

Peavy Vypyr or Line 6 Flextone, besides you don't NEED 120 watts in a hybrid amp, a 50/75 watt will get louder than you;lll ever need and if it isn't loud enough for whatever reason (see: gigging large places) you'll mic it anyway.

I bought a peavey Vypyr 100 over a Line 6 Spider III 75/150 (I could have bought either wattage) In terms of volume the Vypyr Valve will be louder due to having valves.

False, it sounds louder but in actual decibels it isn't (it's just that tube sounds are easier to pick up for our feeble ears)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Slicer666

False, it sounds louder but in actual decibels it isn't (it's just that tube sounds are easier to pick up for our feeble ears)

yeah, but i'm too lazy to explain all that
Quote by nightraven
flextone rapes the vypyr in every possible way. it's a whole league ahead.

agreed.

Depending on whereabouts and budget he could even get a second hand Vetta, in which case we should kick his ass for even thinking about a spider and vypyr
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Slicer666
I think the real question is:

Peavy Vypyr or Line 6 Flextone, besides you don't NEED 120 watts in a hybrid amp, a 50/75 watt will get louder than you;lll ever need and if it isn't loud enough for whatever reason (see: gigging large places) you'll mic it anyway.

If it's using power tubes, and no limiters on it or anything, you're false, the valves will go louder. This is because amps are measured in RMS and not the actual total, a valve amp rated at 100watts will put out at least 150, whereas a solid state will put out maybe 120 if your lucky, and then it'll sound terrible.

And honestly, I don't get why people always say "You don't NEED 100watts unless you're playing huge gigs", sure you wont use it all, but you'll still get some use, and there's no point buying 1 amp to use in your house that sounds average, and another to use for gigs which sounds excellent. I use a 100watt Marshall valve amp, and I get perfectly awesome tones out of it at a practice volume, and then if I gig, I've got the amp ready and toned up.

I'd say just go with a nice tube amp and some effects pedals, might be more expensive, but it'll last you longer/you'll be more satisfied for longer, and it'll do everything from gigs to practice to jamming with friends.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by nightraven
neither are that great :\

sound samples I've heard is tube Vypyr > SS vypyr

but it's still VETTA >>>>> Flextone >>>> tube vypyr.

... just make sure you get the floorboard controller
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by stykerwolf
Why modelling, what do you play?

because... not all modelling is bad?

nah but in all seriousness, it would've been worse if one of his idears was a Marshall MG.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Slicer666
because... not all modelling is bad?

nah but in all seriousness, it would've been worse if one of his idears was a Marshall MG.

Still, if he's only gonna play metal or clean stuff, it woulden't be a good idea to play through modellers. I know a few good modelles, the AxeFX is pretty good i hear, have no clue about the price though...
Quote by stykerwolf
<snip>the AxeFX is pretty good i hear, have no clue about the price though...

The pro version is around $2K IIRC (and you still need to buy a separate MIDI controller for full functionality, so figure on additional cost), but from what I've seen and heard, it's light years ahead of any similar products currently on the market -- even the Line 6 Vetta. The "cheaper" version will run you about $1500.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/
Last edited by jblittlefield at Jul 5, 2009,
Vox ad30vt. Imo best practice amp ever.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
Quote by Slicer666
sound samples I've heard is tube Vypyr > SS vypyr

but it's still VETTA >>>>> Flextone >>>> tube vypyr.

... just make sure you get the floorboard controller

I certainly agree with this. I just don't care for vypyrs or spiders. Or valvetronixs for that matter. The 50 is ok, but i still wouldn't buy one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD