I am in a rut, well not a rut more a black hole.

After playing off and on for 3 years im finding it hard to progress. Admittedly I only play every second day for 10 minutes. But Im always dreaming about guitars and amps and theory. Thing is i dont know how to get motivated.

I like that hendrix kinda jazzy blues tone, metallica rhythm and zac wyldes pinch harmonics. I like shorter scale lengths and am a bit over the 24 fret type git I have. So im a bit confused over what style I want to dedicate to, to begin with, metal or blues.

Currently I play a cheap dinky type copy through a peavey rage and it sounds crap. I also have an ampug but am finding playing headphones to be a pain in the butt.

I can play one or two acdc and hendrix songs 70% complete, the rest is just a mess of intros and scale travelling rubbish. My fingers are fat and not very quick.

I know most open chords, common barre chords, first position minor pent and horizontally (sliding scale). I have a fair bit of theory in my head and finding understanding music easier now.

I feel really unmotivated with my gear. I dont have a big room (its tiny) and I am in a side by side townhouse (complex of 6 side by side houses 3 stories high)

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I just feel like giving up as I dont think Im ever going to be any good.
playing for 10 minutes every other day... theres your problem...

Maybe you just don't enjoy playing guitar, or not enough to improve/ motivate yourself...

You really got to love what you are doing, if you've never played hours on end, maybe guitar isn't for you...
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Jul 5, 2009,
maybe play a bit more or buy some new gear if you like to play guitar but if you play only for 10 minutes every other day i think its not worth it to keep playing .
Try buying an effects pedal of some sort maybe it will motivate you
sometimes i like this but then i just learn something new and it motivates me
i have had months where i will play 2-3 hours a day, but then i wont play for a month, then some months 10 mins a day, like last 3 months.

im just tired when i get home from work and only get 4 hours a day outside work.

do some people use all there spare time playing or say 3 of those 4 hours?
I have to agree that playing 10 minutes a day will not help you with your motivation.

The best thing to do is take half an hour (or more) each day just practicing whatever you want to play. The trick is to slow the parts down you want to play. GuitarPro is really helpful with this, since it has a built-in speed trainer. Start playing the songs you want to play at a pace you can keep up with and gradually build up speed. Playing clean is the trick, speed will follow in due time.

Another trick to help your motivation is setting short- and long-term goals. I see you like playing AC-DC. Set as a short-term goal to learn the easier rythm parts, then expand onto playing the rythm parts of an entire cd, with the long-term goal to play the entire cd in one stretch, solo's and everything. This way, you can actually notice your own progression.

As for gear: reach the set goals. If you've reached a certain point to where you can truely say to yourself you are worth the guitar you plan on buying, save up and buy it. This is another motivator to get better.

And the most important thing: try and have fun.
Quote by fiztech
i have had months where i will play 2-3 hours a day, but then i wont play for a month, then some months 10 mins a day, like last 3 months.

im just tired when i get home from work and only get 4 hours a day outside work.

do some people use all there spare time playing or say 3 of those 4 hours?

back in highschool when I was first starting out and had loads of free time i'd play for hours a day. Now that I got a full time job and less time on my hands, I do play less, sometimes maybe just 20 mins, but I play everyday. But theres still those days where I just come home, smoke up, and just play for hours...
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Play more, you'll get better which will in turn motivate you to pay more which will make you better. See the cycle?
thanks all, good advice.

sometimes i just listen to myself and think aggggggh why bother.

in saying that when i play songs like hey joe rather well i go hmmm, i like it.

i guess im stuck between which direction to head, acoustic or electric, blues or metal and an amp suitable for my room constraints.

if i set an hour a side a day i prob would improve. do u find playing along to backing tracks more enjoyable than just the silent sound of ur own axe?
Quote by fiztech

do u find playing along to backing tracks more enjoyable than just the silent sound of ur own axe?

sometimes yes, if you learn pentatonic and/or minor/major scales there's some great backing tracks even on Youtube.
Find people to jam with. This will give you direct motivation to play, because you're playing for other people to hear, not just for yourself. You will have to play loud, which will reveal your mistakes at first, but that can be a good thing because it shows what you need to work on.
You really gotta Play more. I was getting into a rut and got turned on to Danzig a few months ago when I heard Mother on VH1, but I got their first album about a month ago. I've had more fun playing some of those songs then I have in a long time. Pretty easy stuff and hard rock'in.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Like everyone said, play more. One way to make that more enjoyable is to get some nicer sounding gear. It's hard to play alot when the sound you get isn't very appealing so make the investment to get better sounding gear. It also has the added motivation of spending money on something tends to make it a higher priority to invest time in as well.

Find something (guitar, amp, harmonica, whatever) that sounds nice to your ear and I'll bet you'll be more likely to play it.
Quote by sashki
Find people to jam with. This will give you direct motivation to play, because you're playing for other people to hear, not just for yourself. You will have to play loud, which will reveal your mistakes at first, but that can be a good thing because it shows what you need to work on.

that worked for me i got a band and i just started writing like crazy, form a Jam band TS.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by STABxYOU
Get angry at humanity and play black metal.

^ THIS

Gonna sig that why don't you try some gear at a music shop to see if you like to play more in other kind of guitars? maybe that could help
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ in Lemon Drop
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Michael Kelly 1953 in Blue Jean Wash
-Yamaha C40M
Play more. Jam with people... trust me, that helps A LOT. All the theory in the world won't help you if you don't know how to apply it.