Well the title of this thread is a bit misleading. I was writing a song and strung together 4 powerchords (creative I know ) to create what I thought was a pretty cool progression. After playing it a few times I thought it sounded familiar, and I soon realized that it reminded me of Dammit by Blink-182. So I listened to the song and it turns out that the two progressions sound almost exactly the same.

Dammit

C5 G5 A5 F5

each cord is played 6 times, but you play it once then palm mute it another 5 times

Tempo = 220

My progression

D5 A5 B5 G5

each cord played 8 times

Tempo = 160

So It's basically Dammit but each cord is a tone higher. Now I didn't steal this sub-consciously (or consciously) - I don't listen to Blink and haven't heard the song in ages. It was just playing some chords in B natural minor. What I want to know is can I use this progression as a verse in my song (2 verses, I play it twice each time), and if not, is it ok if I change it slightly, for example:

D5 G5 B5 A5

or

D5 F5 B5 G5 A5 (last 2 played 4 times each).
Last edited by Footrot Ninja at Jul 5, 2009,
Unless it's stolen from Satch or Cat Stevens, I wouldn't worry about it.
Haha I wouldn't worry about chord progressions so much man.

When you start stealing lyrics, vocal melodies, riffs, solos, and whole songs in general, we MIGHT step in...

But nah. You're fine There's only so much chord progressions in the world, a lot of them are going to overlap
Ah cool, thanks guys.

Quote by DimebagRob
Unless it's stolen from Satch or Cat Stevens, I wouldn't worry about it.

Haha. They could sue me but good luck getting any money. But anyway I'm not worried for legal reasons, I just don't want to 'steal' from another band.
You have nothing to worry about, it's perfectly legal, and done quite frequently. There are only this many good chord progressions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
Last edited by Rubys at Jul 5, 2009,
I could probably name at least 30 songs from the top of my head featuring that progression.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by gallagher2006
Haha I wouldn't worry about chord progressions so much man.

When you start stealing lyrics, vocal melodies, riffs, solos, and whole songs in general, like Coldplay, we MIGHT step in...

But nah. You're fine There's only so much chord progressions in the world, a lot of them are going to overlap

Fixed, and yeah don't worry about it, as long you make it your own it'll be fine, you'll never get a unique chord progression, and the same chords have been used for countless songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w EDIT: Dammit, beaten to it
That chord progession used in Dammit is used in countless other punk (and other) songs. I hear it all the time, and it annoys me, cause it sucks.

But I don't get it. Your progressoin is totally different. If it was the same as Dammit but a tone higher, it would be D5 A5 B5 G5. Yours goes D5 - F5, which has a completely different sound.

Anyway, even if it was the same, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a chord progression (technically not even chords, just diads), and basically every major scale derived chord progression has been used and reused many, many, many times (An astonishing amount of music has been based on a simple I - IV - V). Blink 182 weren't the first to use that particular one and they won't be the last.
Quote by Beserker
That chord progession used in Dammit is used in countless other punk (and other) songs. I hear it all the time, and it annoys me, cause it sucks.

But I don't get it. Your progressoin is totally different. If it was the same as Dammit but a tone higher, it would be D5 A5 B5 G5. Yours goes D5 - F5, which has a completely different sound.

Anyway, even if it was the same, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a chord progression (technically not even chords, just diads), and basically every major scale derived chord progression has been used and reused many, many, many times (An astonishing amount of music has been based on a simple I - IV - V). Blink 182 weren't the first to use that particular one and they won't be the last.

Yeah It seems that I'm a retard and wrote down a tone instead of up. It's actually D5 A5 B5 G5.
Ah that explains it. I'll tell you one thing though. If you don't want to sound completely run-of-the-mill, you might want to think about using something else after all
All powerchord progressions sound the same.

*Waits for angry replies*
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Nowadays powerchords are so overused that any progression with them you come up with have most likely been used in dozens of songs.

But you didn't "steal" it sub-consciously but it sounded familiar when played? I don't know if you did, but if you did you wouldn't have noticed it. Its a mystery

Good luck with the rest of the song
Quote by 7even
All powerchord progressions sound the same.
I beg to differ
Quote by Unrelazed
Nowadays powerchords are so overused that any progression with them you come up with have most likely been used in dozens of songs.
Nope
If it's an impressive riff, then you can worry. This is basic powerchord crap =P
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by Footrot Ninja
Well the title of this thread is a bit misleading. I was writing a song and strung together 4 powerchords (creative I know ) to create what I thought was a pretty cool progression. After playing it a few times I thought it sounded familiar, and I soon realized that it reminded me of Dammit by Blink-182. So I listened to the song and it turns out that the two progressions sound almost exactly the same.

Dammit

C5 G5 A5 F5

each cord is played 6 times, but you play it once then palm mute it another 5 times

Tempo = 220

My progression

D5 A5 B5 G5

each cord played 8 times

Tempo = 160

So It's basically Dammit but each cord is a tone higher. Now I didn't steal this sub-consciously (or consciously) - I don't listen to Blink and haven't heard the song in ages. It was just playing some chords in B natural minor. What I want to know is can I use this progression as a verse in my song (2 verses, I play it twice each time), and if not, is it ok if I change it slightly, for example:

D5 G5 B5 A5

or

D5 F5 B5 G5 A5 (last 2 played 4 times each).

That's like the most used and abused chord progression of the last decade or so.

It's not very original, but It's not illegal either. I wouldn't bother worrying about it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 5, 2009,
Basically you're fine unless your vocal melody / lead guitar / strong structure etc follows something very similar one to dammit/any one of the thousands of songs that use this progression
Quote by StonaLemons
Basically you're fine unless your vocal melody / lead guitar / strong structure etc follows something very similar one to dammit/any one of the thousands of songs that use this progression

Exactly.

The chord progression alone is just....... the chord progression.

Nobody owns those.
shred is gaudy music
If it keeps reminding you of the song then play something besides power chords and change the rhythm.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by GuitarMunky
That's like the most used and abused chord progression of the last decade or so.

It's not very original, but It's not illegal either. I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

I wouldn't bother using it either...
Quote by shaf_9110
Music doesn't belong to people.
Joe Satriani would like to have a word with you.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by shaf_9110
Music doesn't belong to people.

So, say you wrote a cool song. You put it up on your myspace because you want your friends to hear it. Someone from some famous band hears the song and rips it off. It makes millions, and that famous band doesn't ever credit you.

But you won't care right? Music doesn't belong to people. Right?
Quote by timeconsumer09
So, say you wrote a cool song. You put it up on your myspace because you want your friends to hear it. Someone from some famous band hears the song and rips it off. It makes millions, and that famous band doesn't ever credit you.

But you won't care right? Music doesn't belong to people. Right?

As wrong as I think it would be for someone to take credit for a whole song I created myself, I wouldn't care because I play guitar for myself and nothing else. I'm not saying others should feel this way, if they did the music industry would be screwed up (I would think).

If you made a song I would not go play it in front of millions and say I created this now give me your money. I might play it to myself for the satisfaction since you don't own the peice and there's nothing stopping me from enjoying playing it.

To answer your question, no I'm not like most other people who get hung up on everything that everybody else is doing. He's takeing credit for something he didn't make and making millions off of it. Sure I think that's wrong, but if he wants to live his life doing crap like that I'm not guna stop em. It's kinda hard to explain but if that makes any sense that's how I feel about it.
Last edited by shaf_9110 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Rubys
Is it wrong that I enjoyed the girly pop songs the most? I feel so emasculated.

Anyway, they're far from the same song. Most of them had unique lyrics and unique vocal melodies. The ones that I'd actually heard before also had unique rhythms from the backing instruments. The chord progression is relatively unimportant and that's why you can get away with copying it.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Actually, its Carousel by Blink not Dammit :P
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar

exactly. there are so many common progressions out there that so many people use. chances are, every song you make has a progression that has been used a least 100 times already. i mean, how many songs use a variation of a 12 bar blues?
Punk bands steal their own chord progressions, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you get the point at all.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Haha

its a I, IV, V, vi progression. Its in so many songs that you could never count them all. Don't worry about it.
Quote by michal23
Don't worry, the chord progression has been used many times.

this
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
No, you could never get in trouble for that, your progression is one of the most common ever. Thousands of songs are like that, nothing to worry about