hi there..
my friend bought a chrome humbucker pickup cover since he wanted to cover his neck pickup.. we searched UG on how to pot properly and found some very useful information like potting with paraffin and beeswax.. there was also this electrical tape method..

anyway.. he didn't follow what we have searched and tried another thing.. another reason was he didn't know where to buy paraffin and beeswax..

so here's what he did.. he first tested the fit of the cover on the humbucker and found that it was relatively secure and tight.. so he just put a thin double sided tape on the top on the bobbin with the non adjustable pole piece so it would stick to the underside of the cover.. he also wraped the side of the bucker with electrical tape.. and instead of dipping it in hot wax, he only used a glue gun and glue stick to glue the base sides of the pickup to the cover..
was that clear? now remember where you usually put a dab of solder on both sides for the ground?.. he didn't do that coz the solder won't stick.. he just applied the glue stick on the entire rectangular perimeter of the pup..

**that's a rough image of how it looks.. that's the underside of the pup and the cover.. the blue ones are the glue stick..

question.. would this be ok? would he experience any problems with this? we checked it out the there was no hum nor feedback.. everything looks tight and secure..

could this also be an alternative or easier way than potting with wax?

thanks.
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by deltacross at Jul 5, 2009,
Tape is usually wrapped around anyway to protect the coil. The wax is there to get rid of any air in the coil and keep air out of the coil.

So no, it wouldn't be an alternative way to pot.

Issues he might have:
Buzzing from lack of correct grounding.
Tone's from the coil may 'change' slightly.
Coil MAY corrode as it ages, eventually resulting in a dead pickup.
well the humbucker is potted in the first place.. so he just needs to cover it.. i think potting the pickup with the cover (provided the the humbucker is already potted) only serves to make the humbucker inside not to move.. correct me if i'm wrong..

so if he already have a potted HB and only wanted th put a cover, he just used glue stick in the bottom so the pup won't move.. that was his claim.. what do you think?

EDIT: RJackson, how would the coils corrode?..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by deltacross at Jul 5, 2009,
Wax prevents the coils from vibrating relative to the pole pieces, so if you could accomplish that using another method, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Wax just proves an effective substance to suspend the coils in.
ok. i edited my title so it would sound more clear.. hehe.. thanks for the replies guys..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
patrik huffschmid pours epoxy into the cover and pots the pickup as he is putting it into the cover. its permanent.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by deltacross
now remember where you usually put a dab of solder on both sides for the ground?.. he didn't do that coz the solder won't stick..
Solder won't stick to nickel/chrome. use a dremel with a grinding tip and grind through to the base metal in a couple of places.

Using hot glue to attach the cover is kinda cheesy. You don't get electrical contact, so the cover will act almost like an antenna for hum and noise. And hot glue isn't very sturdy, compared with solder.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Solder won't stick to nickel/chrome. use a dremel with a grinding tip and grind through to the base metal in a couple of places.

Using hot glue to attach the cover is kinda cheesy. You don't get electrical contact, so the cover will act almost like an antenna for hum and noise. And hot glue isn't very sturdy, compared with solder.

oh.. i see.. so then, would putting solder on both sides then doing the glue thing be better? the glue is from a glue stick from a glue gun.. it pretty much hardens well or holds stuff intact when cooled..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by deltacross
*OMFG*

could this also be an alternative or easier way than potting with wax?

thanks.

Dip it in shellac?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263102&highlight=shellac+potting
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 5, 2009,
Yeah, you didn't really pot it. Although I put covers on the humbuckers in my PRS SE and I've never had problems with it.
Quote by Mitchell?
Yeah, you didn't really pot it. Although I put covers on the humbuckers in my PRS SE and I've never had problems with it.

yeah, his reason for not potting the pickup in the cover was that the pickup itsel was already potted to begin with.. so he was quite sure that the coils wouldn't vibrate.. so he just sort of fixed into place the pickup to the cover using glue stick..
he hasn't experienced any problems with this..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R