Hello all (n00b here),

I'm mainly a keyboard player, but I really want to start playing the guitar to broaden my horizons a bit. Apart from messing around on an acoustic now and then I have no experience whatsoever. I'm not really looking for *a particular sound*, more versatility. Favourite bands Nine Inch Nails and 65daysofstatic, to give you an idea. Price range €300-500.

I was considering an Ibanez SA260FM-AMB, for it's HSS configuration, tremolo (although I don't need it it would be nice) and plain cool looks. However there don't seem to be any Ibanez dealers anywhere, not that I don't mind buying online, but I'd rather hear it you know. At the local shop however there's tons of Squires, and in particular a really nice sounding Yamaha Pacifica - however that's selling for under €300 I think. And it doesn't look as nice. And no tremolo.

So I'm wondering, would any of the Yamahas or Squires match the Ibanez for versatility? As I said I'm not looking for warm LP-through-tube-amp sounds or anything, more something that can hold it's own against the keyboards for different sounds while still be playable.

Cheers,

Uni.
The Yamaha Pacificas are great guitars. The fact that it has no trem is a good thing - any guitar with a trem you find at that price range (especially if it's not a Strat trem) tends to throw your guitar out of tune easily.

However, Ibanez S series guitars are very nice too, and I think the bridge on the one you're looking at has a more stable trem than their usual fare (Edge III...) so by all means, if you like how it feels and sounds, go for it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks guys - I'm currently negotiating with a guitar shop near where I work to see what they can order in.
Quote by Union Of V
Thanks guys - I'm currently negotiating with a guitar shop near where I work to see what they can order in.

Best of luck - my first axe was a Pacifica and it still feels and sounds great. That Ibanez is probably the best beginner/intermediate guitar on the market though, I reckon that should be the first choice