Hi, I'm about to go out and grab a soldering gun so I can do some work on my guitar. Just wondering, what all should I look for in one when shopping around? And how many watts would be ideal?

Thanks
Quote by 0w3n
Hi, I'm about to go out and grab a soldering gun so I can do some work on my guitar. Just wondering, what all should I look for in one when shopping around? And how many watts would be ideal?

Thanks
This is a soldering gun:

Do.
Not.
Want.

This is a soldering iron (aka soldering pencil):

45 watt heater with a small chisel tip works great.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 5, 2009,
^Listen to that man/child/woman/thing.
S/he knows what s/he's talking about.
The soldering gun will be way to powerful to use, and lots more clumsy. The soldering iron will be more accurate, and have much better wattage.

And yes, the recommended wattage is usually 20w-45w or so. It's usually better to get a 40 or 45w though, just so your patience doesn't snap.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by Baby Joel
^Listen to that man/child/woman/thing.
S/he knows what s/he's talking about.
The soldering gun will be way to powerful to use, and lots more clumsy. The soldering iron will be more accurate, and have much better wattage.

And yes, the recommended wattage is usually 20w-45w or so. It's usually better to get a 40 or 45w though, just so your patience doesn't snap.
Also, when soldering to the back of pots, a low wattage iron takes a Looooooong time to heat up the solder. The whole time, heat is being transferred to the element of the pot. Getting in and out fast, minimizes the chance for internal damage.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Getting in and out fast, minimizes the chance for internal damage.

that's what she said.

Curse you SYK, why did you make me do it?!?
i have a 30w and a 45w, both work gat, but you gotta let the 30w heat up more. but just plug it in while you're getting the rest of the stuff out and you oughta be alright. 30-60w is generally the case. 20w would be a little low imo, but it'd probably still work.
Quote by Baby Joel

that's what she said.

Curse you SYK, why did you make me do it?!?
That's what she said.

Quote by blandguitar
i have a 30w and a 45w, both work gat, but you gotta let the 30w heat up more. but just plug it in while you're getting the rest of the stuff out and you oughta be alright. 30-60w is generally the case. 20w would be a little low imo, but it'd probably still work.
An iron of that low of a power/temperature is likely to cause problems.
Those things aren't SYK, they're just sickly.

Variable temperature soldering stations are good too, but expensive.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 5, 2009,
you could always make the variable temp yourself. got a mod thing for it, haven't tested it out though. but i reckon its a decent scheme, craig anderson design, should i hack into my 45w iron's cable to do it?
I have a soldering iron I got for only £20 and it has a variable station from 20W to 60W.
It's complete crap though.

And SYK, icwutudidthar
Quote by blandguitar
you could always make the variable temp yourself. got a mod thing for it, haven't tested it out though. but i reckon its a decent scheme, craig anderson design, should i hack into my 45w iron's cable to do it?
nnnope.

if you want homemade variable temp, make a box with a receptacle, lamp dimmer, bypass switch and line cord. Plug your 45w iron into that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
nnnope.

if you want homemade variable temp, make a box with a receptacle, lamp dimmer, bypass switch and line cord. Plug your 45w iron into that.

i like the way you think syk.