I know there's hundreds of these threads, but any help would be appreciated.

So I'm looking for an acoustic. My budget is around £300-£350, but I could maybe stretch to £400 for something exceptional.

My preferences:

Solid top
Fairly loud + brightish sound
I particularly like ebony fretboards, but rosewood's still fine.
Dull (satin?) finish, at least on the neck.
Purely acoustic - no cheap electronics.
Dreadnought preferred, but I'm open to other shapes.

I've been around a few shops and was particularly impressed with a Yamaha FGsomething. Others I've tried are Blueridge (didn't like them at all), Tanglewood (not bad, but nothing special) and a Taylor 110/114, which was brillant, but a bit out of my price range.

I'm still trying to track down an Epiphone Masterbilt, and the holy grail that is the Seagull S6.

So is there anything else I should be looking at?
the yamaha fg730s sounds really wonderful - ya can't go wrong there unless you prefer a thicker neck. seagull original s6 is nice. maybe you could find a taylor 110 for what you can spend if you look - i like the 114 better myself, but they're both great and you can find the 110 for around $600 to $650 here. or try a taylor big baby. they look totally stripped down but have a bright sound that is ideal for fingerpicking and they cost less.

also if you can find a walden, they were probably the best sounding guitar i heard in their price range - which was under $300 here. the neck was narrow for my taste, but the sound was excellent. also the alvarez regent series has some very good sounding solid tops for your price range.

the sound of the masterbilts varied more from guitar to guitar. a couple i played sounded very good - one i might have bought but it had "the bulge" that you might have heard about.
Last edited by patticake at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by patticake
the yamaha fg730s sounds really wonderful - ya can't go wrong there unless you prefer a thicker neck. seagull original s6 is nice. maybe you could find a taylor 110 for what you can spend if you look - i like the 114 better myself, but they're both great and you can find the 110 for around $600 to $650 here. or try a taylor big baby. they look totally stripped down but have a bright sound that is ideal for fingerpicking and they cost less.

also if you can find a walden, they were probably the best sounding guitar i heard in their price range - which was under $300 here. the neck was narrow for my taste, but the sound was excellent. also the alvarez regent series has some very good sounding solid tops for your price range.

the sound of the masterbilts varied more from guitar to guitar. a couple i played sounded very good - one i might have bought but it had "the bulge" that you might have heard about.

Personally I would disregard this. Taylor Big Baby/100-200 series guitars are IMO, a ripoff. You can get a better guitar for the price.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks for the replies.

Quote by patticake

Never heard of Walden but I'll see if I can find any. I have on the other hand heard of Alvarez, but they don't seem to be that popular this side of the pond.

I'm not familiar with "the bulge" though...

Quote by Natrone
Personally I would disregard this. Taylor Big Baby/100-200 series guitars are IMO, a ripoff. You can get a better guitar for the price.

I know what you mean, from the quick play I had I was really impressed, but they doesn't seem to be anything to justify the extra cost over the surprisingly good Yamahas.

Quote by obeythepenguin

The Seagulls are my usual recommendation, so you've kind of spoiled my fun If you can't find the S6 Original, but they do have other Seagulls, both the Entourage and Coastline series use the same woods and have a similar sound.

I've not been able to find any Seagulls at all, not just the S6 (well there's one place that has them, but they're out of stock at the moment). I'll keep looking though cos I've heard great things...
Oh, I also forgot to recommend Takamines. They typically have a very bright sound, and are rather loud when you get a pure acoustic version. I know there's one that has a solid spruce top and laminate fiddleback maple back/sides. Very bright guitar, and sounds nice. NEX body size (think Taylor Grand Auditorium size), but still nice and loud
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray