I am told that it would- any opinions?

BTW: I plan on using a mahogany neck - I might be able to swap but it would cost allot more.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Would a rockmaple body sound THAT bad?
It would sound THAT good, if you're going for a brighter tone...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Who told you this? Tell them they don't know what they're talking about...

It would sound fine, you just might want to combat the brightness with high value pots and low treble pickups and whatnot.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Bad is subjective,

it will sound bright though.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well to tell the truth it was/is/might (kinda subject to what you guys advice me) be gonna be a flying v rhythem focused guitar. But really if it sounds good doing anyhting then I'm happy.
Puickups are gonna be EMGs a 60 and a 81.

Ah. I almost forgot. Its gonna be a 7 string.
EDIT: the 7s gonna be a low B.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Jul 5, 2009,
If you're using EMGs, then tonewood really won't matter, iirc.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Well to tell the truth it was/is/might (kinda subject to what you guys advice me) be gonna be a flying v rhythem focused guitar. But really if it sounds good doing anyhting then I'm happy.
Puickups are gonna be EMGs a 60 and a 81.

Ah. I almost forgot. Its gonna be a 7 string.
EDIT: the 7s gonna be a low B.
If it's gonna be a full V, like a Gibson (not that asymmetrical little body thang), that's gonna be a bit heavy in maple ...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Thanks for the info... but im fairly big at 6ft6 so I recon that I could take it - I can always re-do the template and cut a bit more off if its stupidly heavy (-:. Also, im on a budget of guilt cause my parents have agreed to pay (-; for my b-day.

Besides - I could use the exercise (-:.

Certified lurker
I've started noticing a little bit of difference between my Alder Strat, and my old Les Paul. Haven't gotten to do any real testing, though.

Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Thanks for the info... but im fairly big at 6ft6 so I recon that I could take it - I can always re-do the template and cut a bit more off if its stupidly heavy (-:. Also, im on a budget of guilt cause my parents have agreed to pay (-; for my b-day.

Besides - I could use the exercise (-:.
Ew? If it looks right, don't muck it up for the sake of weight.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
If anything, you could probably chamber it.

Quote by bv310
If anything, you could probably chamber it.

Would this also help balance out the brightness? I was under the impression that chambered or semi-hollow bodies were a lot "deeper" tonewise.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
As stated, it would tend to sound very bright, and weigh a lot. But maple with medium-output jazzy humbuckers would be delicious. It would also be a great candidate for burst finishes.

An acoustic or hollowbody in maple might have feedback problems, but I don't think that merely chambering it would be an issue. Chambering would help with weight.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 5, 2009,
I think so, You could also semi-hollow it, and put a mahogany block in the centre with a maple cap over top.

EDIT: My little brother's Michael Kelly is a semi-hollow all-maple. Never feeds back on him and sounds surprisingly good in low tunings.

Last edited by bv310 at Jul 5, 2009,