Ok so im looking at buying a ford ranger (used) becuz they are very customizable and i would like a 4cyl 5 speed. Im pretty sure the ones ive been looking at are XLT's. If i buy

one of these, what should be the first things i do to it? What should i clean? (like air filter?) and what should i make sure is good or what to replace. Im planning on buying one that has nothing wrong with it. But i just wanna do sum stuf to make it run cleaner.

Oh and when i save up some money , i wanna get a performance part that will give iit balls from a stand still, i dont need to go fast i just wanna be able to burn a lil rubber lol. Thx
Well, you wouldn't clean the air filter, especially if you're gonna buy it used, because that's one of the most under-replaced filters in an engine. Straight up replace it. Check the oil pressure, color, how much there still is. I would at least check the fuel filter's condition if the mileage is over 100,000. Check the tire's tread wear. See if it's uneven in some places, like, more wear on the left than the right. This will tell you if you'd need an alignment done, due to the tie rods adding or decreasing camber or toe in/out. Check the spark plugs, and the wires themselves, for wire splitting or any burns or anything. This will prevent spark plug misfires, and in the long run, it will prevent camshaft problems.
EDIT: All the above stuff are things you should check before buying the car.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Last edited by Konkordmusk at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by skaterskagg1
I don't much care for Ford, sorry.

Me either but rangers are easy on gas and their customizable as tits. Cheap parts ive seen too
Quote by codynw42
Me either but rangers are easy on gas and their customizable as tits. Cheap parts ive seen too

Same with a Honda, but you'll never see me driving one of those. RED, WHITE and BLUE baby!
Sorry, I'm biased. All my automotive instructors I've had have all worked for GM. If I had stuck with cars, I'd probably work there too.
Last edited by skaterskagg1 at Jul 5, 2009,
If you're going to replace the air filter, you should get a K&N lifetime air filter, they are amazing.
FORD= found on road dead

spell it backwards

DROF= driver returns on foot

o hey they circled the problem
Quote by hide_the_beer
"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

crazy?

Quote by hide_the_beer
Aw man. Out of context! People are going to think I'm crazy.

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

nope
Last edited by peccas at Jul 5, 2009,
My dad has one of those. The shifter's a pain. But I suck at stick.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by codynw42

So is an S10.

I'm a Chevy guy and always will be.

edit: when first buying a new car/truck, automatically no matter what, replace/clean the air filter, change spark plugs, check oil, tranny fluid, lug nuts (sounds dumb but when a wheel flys off going 50 you'll be sorry).

If you want, you could add something like LucasOil tratments like fuel injector cleaner, stabilizers, gear lube, etc. but it isn't needed
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Jul 5, 2009,
replace plugs, ignition wires, oil, oil filter and air filter

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club