Page 1 of 2
I want to get a a 5150/6505 as my new main amp. I have a Spider III, which is a beautiful practice amp, but i wouldn't gig with it. So i started looking in to musicians friend, guitar center, and even ebay for one of this amp heads, and even used they are close to $1000 USD. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a good price for a used 5150 or 6505 would be, or if the price i am seeing is the actual price.

New was around $1000-$1300 USD (Depending on whether it was the Plus model or not)

Used was around $800-$1000 USD

Another question is, if i were to buy a distortion pedal or two, would it sound better than the distortion on my Spider III? And would they be worth the money to use when i get my 5150, or is the 5150's distortion sound better than any pedal i would buy?
ok thanks. I just wanna make sure i am not gonna get ripped off by some ***hole on ebay or craigslist if i end up having to buy from there. Thats the regular 5150 though, not the EVH one right?
Quote by Knightmare444
ok thanks. I just wanna make sure i am not gonna get ripped off by some ***hole on ebay or craigslist if i end up having to buy from there. Thats the regular 5150 though, not the EVH one right?

The regular 5150's (are the EVH ones) are the ones that go for cheaper I don't know why, If your on a tight budget troll your craigslist one is bound to pop up.

The 6505's go for more because they are newer (I guess there isn't a difference between them)
5150 > most mass produced Distortion pedals

can you go used??
what is your MAX Budget?? there are other 5150 alternatives
what bands do you listen to??

and the 5150's are cheaper because they are older
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Budget is whatever. I would like to try not to go over 1000 USD (I'm 16 with a full time job during summer, so... no bills or anything )

I play mainly hard rock, some metal but not much. Stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Theory of a Deadman, Rise Against, Nickelback, Shinedown, Metallica, Motley Crue, and a little bit of The Who and Ozzy

And yes, i'm willing to go used. As long as its not broken i would prefer to go used for the sake of saving some money.
Quote by Knightmare444
Another question is, if i were to buy a distortion pedal or two, would it sound better than the distortion on my Spider III? And would they be worth the money to use when i get my 5150, or is the 5150's distortion sound better than any pedal i would buy?
i wouldn't recommend doing that. spider amps are designed so that a pedal will not be necessary. and because they are created that way, a pedal, no matter what kind - except maybe an EQ or compressor - will sound quite ugly.
bugera 6262 is overall a better amplifier than the 5150 or the 6505
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
Quote by AngryGoldfish
i wouldn't recommend doing that. spider amps are designed so that a pedal will not be necessary. and because they are created that way, a pedal, no matter what kind - except maybe an EQ or compressor - will sound quite ugly.

Yeah, I got the Digitech Sc-2 Valve Distortion Hardwire pedal for my birthday last year. BEAUTIFUL pedal. One of my bandmates has Modern Vintage Half Stack, and through that it sounded amazing. But through my spider, it sounded good, but no where near as good as it did on the MV. I would assume thats because of the digital sound the spider has.

Someone said th 5150's distortion is better than any pedal, would it still be worth it if lets say i needed a different distortion sound? Like something with less power, and more classical like the Sc-2?
I have a 5150 combo and I use an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer OD pedal in front of the amp as a boost and it sounds pretty good. However, like someone already said, the gain from the 5150/6505 series is better than most pedals out there.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by AC/DC4EVA

but yea the cleans are better...... but the reliability >.>
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Knightmare444
Yeah, I got the Digitech Sc-2 Valve Distortion Hardwire pedal for my birthday last year. BEAUTIFUL pedal. One of my bandmates has Modern Vintage Half Stack, and through that it sounded amazing. But through my spider, it sounded good, but no where near as good as it did on the MV. I would assume thats because of the digital sound the spider has.

Someone said th 5150's distortion is better than any pedal, would it still be worth it if lets say i needed a different distortion sound? Like something with less power, and more classical like the Sc-2?
The distortion is nice, but really only when it is played at loud volumes. If you are using it as a bedroom amp, you are not going to find the "best" distorted tones out there. The term "best distortion" is a very open topic and opinionated, anyway, so it's unfair to classify as fact what is the "best" and what is not.
Plus, distortion sounds good when the valves are driven beyond their clean potential, so that a larger amount of clipping within both the power-amp and preamp valves occurs - which generates the core tone.
Well, my band wants to start gigging, but i refuse to gig with a Spider, so they're just waiting for me to get a new amp before we start to gig, so if i get the 5150 or 6505 or whatever, it would be used for gigs, some bedroom playing, and alot of studio practice. (My dads friend owns a local studio that we play in)
Actually come to think of it, i could probably trade in my spider III for credit. Does anyone know how much credit i could get for trading in a Spider III 120?
I got my 6505 head for $550

and yes it sucks pretty bad a low volumes until it gets up to like 1.5 which is damn loud.

edit: well its not horrible it just seems kinda bad compared to at a higher volume
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Knightmare444
I want to get a a 5150/6505 as my new main amp. I have a Spider III, which is a beautiful practice amp, but i wouldn't gig with it. So i started looking in to musicians friend, guitar center, and even ebay for one of this amp heads, and even used they are close to $1000 USD. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a good price for a used 5150 or 6505 would be, or if the price i am seeing is the actual price.

Sorry i couldn't resist
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
I don't see why everyone hates on the Spider III? Its a good amp, especially if you use it for bedroom practice or are just starting a band. It's cheap, it has most of the effects you need built it, and the sound isn't bad, its digital, but its not bad.
This thread isn't about the Spider. Try to stay on topic.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
If you have played other amps you can see why is so hated but it is not the worst (MG) but it aint beautiful looks like a machine.

EdIT: just explaining a couple things, both are decent amps for distorsion so go ahead.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Last edited by carlosyugui at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Knightmare444
OK, another question, which is better the 6505 or the 6505 +?

its not really which one is 'better' its more like which one is 'better for you'.

the 6505+/5150II has better cleans and a 2nd EQ.
6505/5150 has a more aggressive tone (its slight but noticeable).

both are great though!
You say the 6505 + has a more aggressive tone. Does the regular 6505 still have a pretty aggressive tone for hard rock? Because have the better cleans is definitely a plus.
Quote by Knightmare444
Where did you get it?

I got bought it used from Guitar Center

edit: I personally think the distortion on the 6505 is much more badass (aggressive ) sounding than then 6505+ but you really gotta try them both out yourself and see if you think its worth it for the EQ on the rhythm channel
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by metalcorefan
GTFO NOW

sorry
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
The EVH 5150 III and Peavey 5150/6505 are completely different amps. The EVH is 3 channels whereas the Peavey is only 2 - the EVH also sounds ALOT more like Van Halen and captures the "Brown Sound" well. Conversely it's also more expensive.

The EVH is also in white whereas the Peavey is black.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
The EVH 5150 III and Peavey 5150/6505 are completely different amps. The EVH is 3 channels whereas the Peavey is only 2 - the EVH also sounds ALOT more like Van Halen and captures the "Brown Sound" well. Conversely it's also more expensive.

Yeah, i know that much. They have both on zzounds. I know you can pay for items in parts through zzounds, but i have never bought anything from there. Are they reliable?
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
its not really which one is 'better' its more like which one is 'better for you'.

the 6505+/5150II has better cleans and a 2nd EQ.
6505/5150 has a more aggressive tone (its slight but noticeable).

both are great though!
+1

That said, don't expect nice cleans tones on any of those amps.
A mate of mine has a 5150, sounds awesome. It's pretty rubbish for intermediate tones (though I'm sure a pedal or two would sort this out), but it's amazing for searing metal/lead tones and has nice cleans (in my opinion). I haven't really had much of a go on it, personally. Heard him play it a lot, though. Maybe he's just terrible at attaining a mild crunch sound, etc.

Quote by Knightmare444
I don't see why everyone hates on the Spider III? Its a good amp, especially if you use it for bedroom practice or are just starting a band. It's cheap, it has most of the effects you need built it, and the sound isn't bad, its digital, but its not bad.

Guitarists are very elitist creatures, especially with regards to equipment. By their very nature, they love to swoon on and on about how some pieces of equipment are 'better' than others, etc. Notice that these people swear by all the gear that they just happen to own. Funny, that.

With that in mind, I see you have a fake Les Paul. I direct my farts at you. A real man would have a Gibson. My Gibson is probably completely and utterly identical to your fake LP (other than the paint job, mine's blue!). However, mine cost loads of money and has 'Gibson' on the headstock. This means I am a better human. Ha. Did I say "Ha", already?

Anyway, I agree with you. Spiders are alright. They're meant as practice/amateur amps, and for that purpose, they're OK.
Quote by AC/DC4EVA

Last edited by JaGi at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta

+1
and to make it short..........
the EVH sounds like a Soldano SLO....... and a Peavey 5150 can also be white if you re tolex it
feel free to add me
Straight into the amp distortion from the 5150/6505/5150II/6505+ will beat anything on the Spider III or any distortion into the Spider.

I'd go 6505+, because I've heard it has slightly less gain and too me thats a non-issue since it had ridiculous amounts of gain, and because I've heard the cleans are better on it, and they were better than I thought they'd be.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
I'd go 6505+, because I've heard it has slightly less gain and too me thats a non-issue since it had ridiculous amounts of gain, and because I've heard the cleans are better on it, and they were better than I thought they'd be.

a 6505+/5150II with the gain on 7 is the same a a 5150/6505 with the gain on 5
feel free to add me
The EVH is produced by fender so no point in comparing the two. Why would the colour be a deciding factor anyway. The 5150 is a great amp and it does do crunch well but you have to use the normal input on green channel. Its very aggresive and very loud, if your gonna be stuck on 1 on the post gain all the time you might aswell forget aobut it cause its buzzy as hell when it isnt given some volume. She really opens up at 3 on the post gain, punchy as hell chords really resonate. The clean is just average, its not really bad as some would say but it aint nothing you'd ever brag about.
Also to people referring to "distortion will sound better than blah". It's not really a sound, every amp has gain that is unique to its design. An all tube designed amp cant really be compared to the spider as it works totally different.
get a 6262 head. Ive had a 5150, fireball, and 6262. The 6262 smokes the 5150, it has a muuuuuuuch better clean channel, its lead channel isnt overly bassy and overly saturated, though i did like the 5150's crunch tone better. And as far as reliability issues go, 6262 heads go for what.... 600 new? With a full year warranty. Most of the early reliability issues have been solved, dont listen to people who just jump on the bugera hating bandwagon ( I was one of them once )

Also if you get the bugera, invest in an eq pedal. It makes a worlds difference.
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by Knightmare444
Budget is whatever. I would like to try not to go over 1000 USD (I'm 16 with a full time job during summer, so... no bills or anything )

I play mainly hard rock, some metal but not much. Stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Theory of a Deadman, Rise Against, Nickelback, Shinedown, Metallica, Motley Crue, and a little bit of The Who and Ozzy

And yes, i'm willing to go used. As long as its not broken i would prefer to go used for the sake of saving some money.

As everyone seemed to ignore this.

A 5150 is not the best amp for these kinds of bands.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Page 1 of 2