I have been scouring the craigslist ads and Ebay for a used JCM 2000, either a DSL 50/100 or a TSL 60/100. I am unsure of what would be a fair price for these amps though. It seems like the 100's are often not getting hits on the sellers asking prices of ~800-1000, but the lower wattage models and combos seem to snag at least 700.

I was hoping to land a DSL 100 for 750ish or a TSL 100 for 850ish. Are these too low of expectations? Should I raise my offers? I local guitar center has a used TSL 100 for $1000 but Im assuming I could get a 15% discount out of them.

Thoughts?
i just typed in JCM 2000 on ebay and i didn't see a single one over 800 that had any bids.

in fact, there's a DSL 100 going for less than 600 and it's over in three hours. i would jump on that ****.

EDIT: AND it comes with a roadcase!!! jesus, i might have to bid on this one.

i would post the link, but, IIRC the mods don't like ebay links.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Jul 5, 2009,
The 100 watts arent all that much better to be honest, slightly more volume and headroom, but because of that a bit less gain to go round, i dont think they're worth the extra money. I prefer the DSL to the TSL, because i have no need for that middle channel really
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Dsl 50/100 ~ $650 - 850
Tsl 50/100 ~ $500 - 750
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, I didnt think I was too crazy with what I was looking for, but a lot of craigslist sellers Ive ran into seem stubborn about the prices, and I hate Ebay because I can't view the amp first and I always end up losing in bidding wars.

Interesting that MatrixClaw has the TSL priced at less than the DSL. When I tried both they didnt sound too different, and obviously the TSL has more features. WHy the lower price?

Thanks for the advice.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Yeah, I didnt think I was too crazy with what I was looking for, but a lot of craigslist sellers Ive ran into seem stubborn about the prices, and I hate Ebay because I can't view the amp first and I always end up losing in bidding wars.

Interesting that MatrixClaw has the TSL priced at less than the DSL. When I tried both they didnt sound too different, and obviously the TSL has more features. WHy the lower price?

Thanks for the advice.

Because TSLs suck.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Because TSLs suck.

Thanks for the well thought out, descriptive and helpful response.

Can someone who isn't 13 perhaps expand on the TSL vs. DSL? I've only had about 15 minutes in a GC with a TSL and it didnt sound all that different than the DSL to me other than perhaps a bit more scooped sounding. Is there something I'm missing about the TSL?
The TSLs are generally thought of as more muddy and just overall lesser sounding when compared to the DSLs.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The TSLs are generally thought of as more muddy and just overall lesser sounding when compared to the DSLs.

I'll jump in here and say that as a TSL owner it really isn't that bad. I mean, i have a 2x12 combo, closed back on the ground (due to space , im only in my bedroom and there's a guitar hung up above it ) so you'd have thought if the amp was muddy then this would really make it overly muddy? Well it isn't if you eq it okay. I havn't tried the DSL but it's definatly possible to get a very trebley tone if you use the presence dial and get some mids in there too.

The clean channel is definatly far from muddy too, the crunch is the only one that is abit muddy but like i say, just roll the bass back to about half way and put treble abit over halfway and presence at like 7 or maybe 8 and then dial mids how you like then you can get a trebley sound. I actually have the presence higher than the treble just so it dosnt get too peircing. I use humbuckers too so if you have singlecoils there wouldnt be much of a muddyness issue at all.
I got my Dsl 50 mint with brand new tubes for 600 locally. I would just wait it out on ebay or visit some pawn shops and music stores in your area.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by BlackIce87
I got my Dsl 50 mint with brand new tubes for 600 locally. I would just wait it out on ebay or visit some pawn shops and music stores in your area.

Was it from a shop or craigslist? That is a great price and I would gladly pay that.
My bandmate plays a TSL60 and it is a wonderful amp. Great all around and it gets amazing tube saturation at higher volumes. I've never tried a DSL, but the TSL is by no means a bad amp, quite the opposite.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yea Matrixclaw is right, as usual.
Yea, the TSLs didnt impress me, at all. They sound boring. However, the DSLs are pretty good sounding, and the tonal variety is rediculous.
The TSLs do not suck.

I just think the extra channel is useless, adds mud and more fizz to an already buzzy sounding high gain tone. In fact, I love the DSL but I think even the red channel on the DSL is useless and does not sound very good at all.
The difference* is very small, there probably is a difference because there is more going on inside the amp with the third channel, but the bandwagon people over-exaggerate it and just say TSL's suck.
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by KingJustinian25
The difference* is very small, there probably is a difference because there is more going on inside the amp with the third channel, but the bandwagon people over-exaggerate it and just say TSL's suck.
Truthfully, even though I say it sometimes, but no high end amp really sucks.

I don't particularly like the TSL, JCM900 DRs or dual channel JCM800s, but I mean in the end, they all still sound pretty good lol. It's just very easy to bash a company like Marshall when they put out something short of spectacular considering their pedigree (though they haven't been doing so hot lately with their releases, nothing has really blown me away yet)
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Truthfully, even though I say it sometimes, but no high end amp really sucks.

I don't particularly like the TSL, JCM900 DRs or dual channel JCM800s, but I mean in the end, they all still sound pretty good lol. It's just very easy to bash a company like Marshall when they put out something short of spectacular considering their pedigree (though they haven't been doing so hot lately with their releases, nothing has really blown me away yet)

This

My opinion is Marshall need to push back to the jcm800, and start again from there.

Follow what companies like spawn and diezel are doing

just my two bobs
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q