I know there is a new thread like this about everyday, but anyways...
I'm thinking about buying a new amp. The problem is, which one should I get? Currently, I have a Marshall MG15DFX. I play mainly classic rock (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Queen, etc.) I have no idea what amp I should buy. I was thinking about looking into a Vox. I have heard a lot of good things about those amps and I was gonna try one out at the local music store. What kind of amp should I get?

EDIT: Sorry about not leaving a budget. I'm getting a job in a few months, so it will be around $150-300 dollars.
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Jul 5, 2009,
Upgrade to a tube amp if you have the money. Knowing your budget would really help. The VOX AC50 sounds really nice. My main amp is the Epiphone Blues Custom 30 which is a lesser known but awesome tube amp at a great price.
play at a lot of stores and look around...find something that YOU like, because that's all that matters.

ryan wiesen
Quote by imicius
How much money can you spend, can you buy used, and where do you live?

This, because until you answer these questions you will only get fanbois recommending their amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by lildude_6859
play at a lot of stores and look around...find something that YOU like, because that's all that matters.

ryan wiesen

Agreed.

What sounds good to me might sound like crap to you, buy with your ears and you'll go far in this business.
I hate it when people don't leave a budget!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by lildude_6859

ryan wiesen

Really playing a bunch of amps is a good idea. But, walking into a store with 150 different amps can be a bit overwhelming. Looking for some recommendations in an amp forum is another good idea, make a list and check out those stated and some others. Then buy used and save money.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well this is a pretty wide open question if you dont provide us your budget...
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by suhraddict
Quote by lildude_6859

ryan wiesen

Agreed.

What sounds good to me might sound like crap to you, buy with your ears and you'll go far in this business.

+ 3.14159

Amplifier choice depends on taste and passion.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by gregs1020
Really playing a bunch of amps is a good idea. But, walking into a store with 150 different amps can be a bit overwhelming. Looking for some recommendations in an amp forum is another good idea, make a list and check out those stated and some others.

agreed. while there's no real substitute for trying something (though it must be said that, depending on the store environment, the quality of the trying-out might be brilliant or terrible or anywhere in-between), it helps to at least narrow down things slightly, especially if you've travelled any difference. Sometimes amps can surprise you and work for a genre which you didn't expect it to, but if you play modern metal, you more or less know you can skip the fender twins, kind of thing, unless you're just trying to kill time or are curious.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try different ones and see which one fits you best, definetly try a vox it's really good for classic rock such as zep or AC/DC ( play more metal so i need to upgrade soon hopefully a mesa boogie or a blackstar series one) but i would go for the AD series or the VT series. But this is coming from someone who's only really played a vox since when i first saw and listened to it i loved it so i haven't really tried out anything more than a vox, but i'd try out pricier marshalls and if you got lots of cash a mesa boogie because i had one for a while and it was a really good amp, other than the broken treble knob which when i turned it it almost blew my ear drums (it was a rental amp because mine was getting repaired so it was beat up) so i was kinda afraid to turn the knobs there on lol.