Page 1 of 2
If you had the choice to have either amazing vibrato or amazing speed, which one would you choose?
Speed. For sure. But only if I would have amazing accuracy, else I'd go for the vibrato I think.

EDIT:
Quote by webbtje
I'd choose to be a decent guitar player.

+1 also.
Last edited by Forcepoint at Jul 5, 2009,
I'd have vibrato. I feel that it adds more soul to a slow solo or lead part than a mash of millions of notes. It's also nice to hear seperate notes rather than a jumble of them at a insane speed. All in my opinion of course.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
thats insanely hard one.....i mean sure speed great but a beautiful vibrato is killer too......
idk id pick both at a half way rate.
I would have to go with vibrato, even tho i have an amazing vibrato( i can keep a note for about 3 min...), b/c it adds so much soul, as mentioned earlier, and taste to a solo or riffs
Vibrato for sure. I love speed, but a godly vibrato is what seperates the good from the bad players imo:p
Well, I love fast stuff, but I have to say vibrato. Why? If your vibrato is bad, your whole playing sounds bad regardless of the speed. If you can't play fast but have great vibrato, you can still make some amazing music on the guitar.
Vibrato makes the solos human. Speed stirs no emotion for me.

Unless it's the Selkies' sweep.
Erika(Interviewer): If not music then what?

Mikael Akerfeldt: Errr…death. [Serious but laughs]
Definitely vibrato. It's just so much sweeter and really, as said by the above poster, makes the notes "human".
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
You know the funny thing about this thread? I'm sure if we have 100 replies, at least 97 will say vibrato. So how much time does everyone dedicate to practicing playing fast versus practicing vibrato?
Vibrato all the way, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

I wonder if people on this forum put as much time into perfecting their vibrato as they do with their speed

Quote by se012101
You know the funny thing about this thread? I'm sure if we have 100 replies, at least 97 will say vibrato. So how much time does everyone dedicate to practicing playing fast versus practicing vibrato?

Beat me to it
It doesn't matter which one you choose, if you play fast you don't need vibrato for that lick and if you do vibrato, there's no point on doing it on a 16th note at 200bpm because it won't get noticed.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
vibrato takes a lot less practice to get, considering it's feel is how you want it anyways, so speed. i ain't wastin hours on it =P
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by se012101

I do I spend like a third - half of my time practicing experimenting with vibrato even o.O I just love the fact it's a basic technique to learn, but the hardest of all to fully control:p
Vibrato is what makes you sound better
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
speed. Vibrato if focused on intensely takes a lot less time to improve than speed... speed can take forever (I'm assuming were talking about accurate, clean speed)
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
I'd choose to have decent, accurate speed runs, and decent, good sounding vibrato, instead of having amazing vibrato or amazing speed.
If I had only 'good' vibrato, I would practice my speed. And vice versa.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by webbtje
I'd choose to be a decent guitar player.

People, this was clearly not an available option.....
Vibrato beats speed

Vibratos make your audience go because the sound brings them to tears
while Speed is Cool but hey it doesn't give the audience feeling

I feel this thread is like -
Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd vs Eruption- Van Halen

Hahahah
Gear:

Yamaha Pacifica 012 (Red)
Vox Pathfinder 10
Zoom Guitar effects pedal G1
What's a good speed run to build tension without a nice sustained note with vibrato at the end?

Speed though (just to be different), assuming all other areas of your technique are good, then I can just use trem bar or bend the guitar neck to bend and vibrato notes.

Jeff Beck uses the bar to bend and add vibrato to half the note he plays and he is awesome.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by hateCOBHCcrew
Vibrato makes the solos human. Speed stirs no emotion for me.

Unless it's the Selkies' sweep.

So everything played on a piano is inhuman?

Think about that for a while

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
So everything played on a piano is inhuman?

Think about that for a while

Im sorry...but I fail to see how that was relevant. Maybe Im an idiot, and correct me if Im wrong, but I am pretty sure he was talking about guitar solos...
Quote by PhrenchPhries
Im sorry...but I fail to see how that was relevant. Maybe Im an idiot, and correct me if Im wrong, but I am pretty sure he was talking about guitar solos...

Vibrato makes things sound human. The acoustic piano can't do vibrato. Thus, acoustic piano doesn't sound human.
well i'd rather have amazing speed since learning good vibrato would take less time...and then I would try to get amazing vibrato.....but of course we cant all be yngwie malmsteen
how can u practise for a good vibrato isnt it just something u pick up over time?
Quote by PhrenchPhries

Quote by The.new.guy
Vibrato makes things sound human. The acoustic piano can't do vibrato. Thus, acoustic piano doesn't sound human.

This.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
My natural vibrato and playing violin for years has made it easy for me to have a strong vibrato on guitar. I pick speed, as long as it is fast, accurate, and involves minimal tension.
vibrato because i love having a lot of emotion in music and too much speed can sound bad for example dragonforce.
Quote by The.new.guy

well yeah but u cant do earthquake on a guitar by pressing down pedals so fast that it causes the notes to bounce in and out causing sporadic noises...
Speed, because I already have bad ass vibrato skill, but even if I didn't I would still pick speed.

It's hard to shred someones face off with vibrato.
Quote by perfectchaos23
vibrato because i love having a lot of emotion in music and too much speed can sound bad for example dragonforce.

Wassup evwybody, this is Herman Ri! ... Tell all your friend Herman Ri is cool, or I will **** on your head.

On topic: Vibrato takes the cake for me. However, they are both effective aspects of soloing. One of my all-time favorite solos is the version of Audioslave's "Shadow On the Sun" on the DVD "Live In Cuba: Deluxe Edition." Tom Morello begins with very slow, tasteful vibrato- and bend-induced licks and then at the climax of the solo turns on the delay and begins shredding in a blaze of ferocity that blows my mind...it's not really a difficult solo, but it combines the two elements you are comparing in a way that shows the dynamics of an effective solo and how the two techniques can be combined tastefully. John Mayer has probably my favorite vibrato.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Speed for me, Ive never had any trouble with vibrato
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Page 1 of 2