Page 1 of 4
The title pretty much explains it.

Which guitarist, in your opinion, is least deserving of their signature model?

Who either deserves a signature model (if they don't have one), or most deserves their signature model(if they do)?

For me, I would have to say:

Least: Tom Delonge
Most: Buckethead
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
To be honest, Buckethead's signature would be a white LP, with all white hardware, baritone neck, and a killswitch. Not that exciting. :/ Though I guess it's cooler than the million Alexi Laiho's out there.

And on that note, I think Alexi Laiho is least deserving of all but one of those guitars. Really, you only need one signature guitar, and have it come in different colours. It's not a signature guitar if it isn't one you'd play.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Kirk Hammett will probably be brought up, but I love all of his signatures
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by Baby Joel
To be honest, Buckethead's signature would be a white LP, with all white hardware, baritone neck, and a killswitch. Not that exciting.

Ah, but a proper one would be bigger than a usual LP.
This guy is least deserving- synister gates, girls luv his image, but his playing and sound is stale

Adam Jones needs a signature model...that's just me
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
Last edited by BlockishFool at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Baby Joel
:/ Though I guess it's cooler than the million Alexi Laiho's out there.

And on that note, I think Alexi Laiho is least deserving of all but one of those guitars. Really, you only need one signature guitar, and have it come in different colours. It's not a signature guitar if it isn't one you'd play.

Shush mormon.

Michael Paget seems a tad undeserving. Cool dude and all, good guitar player, but I hardly think that the Mustaine V with a shiny graphic is worth signature modeling.
Not a real fan of the Dimmu Borgir ones either (Silenoz's is basically Alexi's with a pentagram on it, amirite?) but Nergal's 7 string V is pretty cool.
Last edited by AA00P at Jul 5, 2009,
inb4 hermin rii

honestly, he may be a "sell out" but i still think he's a halfway decent player and has written some interesting things, to say the least.

least- syn gates
most- buckethead
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by AA00P
Shush mormon.

If you didn't put that at the end there I'd be pretty pissed at you.
it's all coming back

Wow, that's a pretty nice thread, hope it doesn't turn into flamefest.

Least: Avril Lavigne? I mean, come ON! And if we're talking about bass players too...well, Pete Wentz for sure, I had to add him. But there's plenty of horrible sigs out there.
Most: for me John Frusciante should get his own sig (I think there's one produced by Edwards) but to be honest he probably wouldn't like it since new guitars don't sound like the old ones...so I'm going to say Kim Thayil, Guild should make him a sig, he's like, the only famous guy who plays Guild S-100 and he was doing it since the 80s or something, such a loyal guy
Least- Tom Delonge

Most- Joe Satriani

It's too bad Hetfield's sigs seem to always suck. They've never caught on at least
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345

Most- Joe Satriani

Ibanez JS much?
it's all coming back

I don't think Buckethead would want a Signature model, because he's probably the most decent guitarist in the world and doesn't believe in them.

Dimebag has like 50million sig models, and played like, three?
Quote by stinger12345
Least- Tom Delonge

Most- Joe Satriani

It's too bad Hetfield's sigs seem to always suck. They've never caught on at least

But he already has a sig...a couple too...

EDIT: Damn, I'm beaten to
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Last edited by wair138 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Baby Joel
If you didn't put that at the end there I'd be pretty pissed at you.

It helps to show my remarks are flippant.
Quote by wair138
But he already has a sig...a couple too...

Quote by jsaatsaz
Who either deserves a signature model (if they don't have one), or most deserves their signature model(if they do)?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

least - Hello Kitty
most - Franny Beecher, for damn sure.
I pay for music and so should you: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by Music18
u just got to love fat strats.... and i really like the ones that hav 2 single pick upsm then the humbucker near the bridge... very nice =)
Last edited by rorygodowsky at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by stinger12345
Least- Tom Delonge

Most- Joe Satriani

The Iron Cross ESP is legendary.

I reckon Marty Friedman should get one.
Quote by Lollage123
The Iron Cross ESP is legendary.

And $9K.
it's all coming back

Quote by zombiak
Wow, that's a pretty nice thread, hope it doesn't turn into flamefest.

Least: Avril Lavigne? I mean, come ON! And if we're talking about bass players too...well, Pete Wentz for sure, I had to add him. But there's plenty of horrible sigs out there.
Most: for me John Frusciante should get his own sig (I think there's one produced by Edwards) but to be honest he probably wouldn't like it since new guitars don't sound like the old ones...so I'm going to say Kim Thayil, Guild should make him a sig, he's like, the only famous guy who plays Guild S-100 and he was doing it since the 80s or something, such a loyal guy

It'd be kinna hard to do a Frusciante sig strat, for the sheer fact it is a '57 (IIRC) and his cream one is a '59 standard, and I doubt he has moded either of them except beat the hell out of the '57 sunburst. I'd like to see a sig series of his acoustics, though. They all kick ass and can never find anything that sounds like them in shops. (Full size guitar 3/4 body size makes quite an interesting tone)

Least: Dunno...don't play sig guitars except the 'twatson strat.
Most: if you count bass, Claypool and Flea (I donno if either do but I haven't seen or heard of someone using one) and just guitarist' I would think BB King needs his Gretsch put on sig line production. (I think its' a oldschool and discontinued Gretsch duojet with custom hardware and swapped pickups)
Quote by Lollage123
I reckon Marty Friedman should get one.

He had one.
They might still be available or Japan only or something.
Quote by Baby Joel
And $9K.

Yeah

And I can't believe ESP sell's the Hetfield models with the toggle switch inactive for the neck.. It leaves me like I know that's how his are (I guess) but you'd think if they were selling it to someone they would leave it be.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Least- Synyster Gates

Most- Mikael Akerfeldt

Syn's alright, but not sig worthy. Mikael is just plain cooler and his guitar work is amazing.
Got beat to Mikael Åkerfeldt!

Give that guy a signature guitar.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Least: Nergal I saw it on the ESP site and at first was like-
then-
then-
Most: hmmm, Tony Ifuckingommi
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
then-
then-

i just had a look at the ESP site, he kinda looks like Jeremy Clarkson. The bands great, but the corpse paint frankly looks sh*t.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by VanTheKraut
then-
then-
Most: hmmm, Tony Ifuckingommi

Tony Iommi used to have a Gibson and Epiphone signature models, but I don't know if they're still produced.
Quote by VanTheKraut
then-
then-

Why's that?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by Amer91
Tony Iommi used to have a Gibson and Epiphone signature models, but I don't know if they're still produced.

The Epiphone is and they are making a new Gibson model.
Least- Tom DeLonge
Most- Mikael Akerfeldt
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Most - Jonny Greenwood (1. It's a Telecaster Plus and those things are awesome regardless and 2. Combined with the killswitch wiring and the unique Telecaster Plus wiring it would be pretty versatile.)
Signature guitars are made like merchandise. It's not based on how good the player is, but how well their records sell and how much visibility the company will get if the player plays one of their guitars.

Artists move between signature models (jackson --> esp --> dean) because companies offer mo' money for the endorsement deal.

That said, Tom Delonge's signature guitar was an epic failure. Most of his audience is under 18 and unable to afford a Gibson, nevermind a custom shop hollowbody. Why did they even bother? They should have just made the Epiphone one straight away.
Quote by sashki
Signature guitars are made like merchandise. It's not based on how good the player is, but how well their records sell and how much visibility the company will get if the player plays one of their guitars.

Artists move between signature models (jackson --> esp --> dean) because companies offer mo' money for the endorsement deal.

That said, Tom Delonge's signature guitar was an epic failure. Most of his audience is under 18 and unable to afford a Gibson, nevermind a custom shop hollowbody. Why did they even bother? They should have just made the Epiphone one straight away.

Though I do agree with this, I will say there are a few signature guitars out there that aren't made because the player is a big seller. First people to come to mind are some of the major virtuosos (Satriani, Timmons, Johnson).

With all of that said, onto the topic.

Least: Herman Li. HOWEVER, I do find his signature model extremely gorgeous. I love the color purple and with gold hardware, I'd definitely buy it just because it looks plain badass (though I don't like the weird grip thing he put on it or the little bit of frets that are scalloped).

Most deserving of their signature: Eric Johnson, Andy Timmons, and Johnny Hiland. Andy had one of the best ibanezes I've ever played, besides, who doesn't like the strat look with a good old shred neck? Andy Timmon's PRS has some nice versatility, but haven't had the chance to play one.

And of course Eric Johnson, his signature strat is claimed to be the best production strat outside of the custom shop on the market today. I do agree with this, every EJ strat I've played I've never been disappointed. Extremely light, the 12" radius neck is a dream to play, the wiring is awesome, pickups are sooo versatile, and the guitar looks amazing.
I would'nt mind a Tom Morello signature model

See that? I used capital letters to spell his name
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Least i would have to say Herman Li. Hes a c*nt in real life and i dont throw that word around much, and he seems to think hes gods gift to women which is funny as im pretty sure if he wasnt famous he'd get no action what so ever. But on the playing side hes sloppy with his technique and seriously cant play most of the stuff off the albums live.

Most i would say is Dave Mustaine..........Ahhhhh Gotcha but really id say Pepper Keenan, hes really understated in most circles and amazingly most people havent heard of him but clam to be Down fans. Hes one of the few people i know of who are good technically and use their brains with their solos. Very rare these days with alot of the bands these days.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Nobody needs or deserves a signature model guitar, companies only make them because they can up the price by $2000 because it has a famous name on it
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Page 1 of 4