Hey, I was wondering if there's such a thing as on/off buttons for pickups. My idea is to have one separate switch for each pickup. I'm using my vacation to design an OTT super-ergonomic guitar, and I thought that if you could select a pickup by just pushing a button right next to the pickup, that would be more efficient than using a regular 3-way or 5-way switch located somewhere else. Any thoughts?
That is actually a killswitch, just a fact that would be interesting to know.

That is the only thing I have to contribute though, I don't know anything about modding so somebody else should answer your question.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
yeah you could, look on the seymour duncan website. I'm pretty sure that there is a diagram for that. you would just have to find some spdt switches that you like.

edit: here is a diagram.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=3s_1v_2t_3on-offswitches
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Last edited by walker-rose at Jul 5, 2009,
The Ultimate Wiring thread is a good spot for this. THere should be lots of stuff in there to help you out.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
you could also put in two volume knobs if you have room. thats what i did with my jackson w/ emgs. but a killswitch would probably be more efficient.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Hm, interesting thought... but doesn't a killswitch require a pickup to be selected first? Unless maybe if you wire the guitar to have only killswitches, and no pickup selector to begin with.

Either way, I found this thing:

That is exactly what I'm looking for! But the only information I find about them is that they're called "Rocker Switches". Not very helpful in my case.
Yep, just install a SP/ST in series with each hot wire, between the pickup and volume control. This will let turn on/off each individual pickup, or both on/off.

The problem with this switching is that you'd need to flick both switch to go from pickup a only to pickup b only.
Very possible, thats been standard on fender jaguars since 1962.

See the plate on the lower horn, the top 2 switches on that are seperate on/off switches for the 2 pickups.

Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Last edited by Baconfish at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Aziraphale
Hey, I was wondering if there's such a thing as on/off buttons for pickups. My idea is to have one separate switch for each pickup. I'm using my vacation to design an OTT super-ergonomic guitar, and I thought that if you could select a pickup by just pushing a button right next to the pickup, that would be more efficient than using a regular 3-way or 5-way switch located somewhere else. Any thoughts?
Not necessarily more efficient. Switching a pickup on might only be half the necessary change. You also have to turn OFF the previously selected pickup(s) if they aren't wanted in the new selection.

Pushbuttons aren't always the quickest/easiest way.
You might consider minitoggles and group them close to each other, instead of adjacent to each pickup.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Wow, a lot of good replies in just a few seconds Thanks guys The absolute ideal (for me at least) would be if these switches would both turn off one pickup and shut the others off at the same time, while another button/switch would bypass the individual buttons and turn both pickups on... that would be ultimate.
Quote by gnomieowns
look at SD's Triple Shot.
The triple shot isn't a selector. It's a mode switch for single/series/parallel on a HB.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Aziraphale
Wow, a lot of good replies in just a few seconds Thanks guys The absolute ideal (for me at least) would be if these switches would both turn off one pickup and shut the others off at the same time, while another button/switch would bypass the individual buttons and turn both pickups on... that would be ultimate.
so basically what you're after is one button to add that pickup. another button to select the pickup and also delete previous selections.

TTL or Cmos logic gates and reed relays or solidstate bi-lateral switches are your friends.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by chip_amando
i am curious as the what the ott super-ergonomic guitar is? please explain further

Basically I've played some Steinbergers, Parkers and RKS guitars lately and they are all incredibly well-thought out and easy to handle (much moreso than the old Fender and Gibson designs), I just think they all look so silly :p

So my idea is to make a guitar with as much attention as possible directed at the ergonomics, but without making it look like a space ship

Some key elements are: - Volume/tone controls mounted horizontally, as opposed to vertically, placed in line with your natural forearm movement.
- Reverse Headstock (more comfy tuning)
- As few edges as possible, just rounded curves on the body and headstock.
- The pickup buttons I've mentioned

These are the points I've come up with so far, basically the igoal is that the entire guitar will have rounded edges everywhere, and that the controls will be as easy and effortless as possible to handle from a playing position, so you don't have to stop playing when you want to turn the knobs etc.

TTL or Cmos logic gates and reed relays or solidstate bi-lateral switches are your friends.

I have no idea what those things are but I'll look into them and see if they're what I'm looking for. Thanks
You only have 2 pups? Use a 3-way. It makes no sense to me to have four buttons as opposed to one switch.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by Aziraphale
- Reverse Headstock (more comfy tuning)
Ew, no?

I've played guitars with reverse headstocks.
Tuning them was more annoying than a Fender.
Tuners in the tail of a guitar make more sense...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by wiliscool
You only have 2 pups? Use a 3-way. It makes no sense to me to have four buttons as opposed to one switch.

I'm talking three buttons. 1 neck, 1 bridge, and one for both. The individual buttons for each pickup would be located right next to that pickup, i.e. right where your hand is, for instant access. The advantage of a low-profile button design is that there's practically no risk of pushing it by mistake when you're strumming violently.

The 3-way pickup selector is a tried and true working method, I'm just thinking it could be even more efficient and quick. Like I said, this guitar is meant to be over the top in all ergonomic aspects.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Ew, no?

I've played guitars with reverse headstocks.
Tuning them was more annoying than a Fender.
Tuners in the tail of a guitar make more sense...

Maybe... the idea with the reverse headstock is that your wrist is in the same position as it is when you're playing. Tuning at the tail with the right hand would be nice, but I also have plans for a non-locking trem with this guitar. A Steiny trem would be the best, if I could afford one. But $1000 for a trem isn't a very likely buy: http://cgi.ebay.com/Steinberger-Transtrem-Type-2-TT2-Trans-trem-2-New_W0QQitemZ190312751271QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2c4f8620a7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Last edited by Aziraphale at Jul 5, 2009,
dude the ergonomic idea sounds awesome...as a student studying it i am definitely going to have to keep an eye on this project...it sounds sweet
Quote by chip_amando
dude the ergonomic idea sounds awesome...as a student studying it i am definitely going to have to keep an eye on this project...it sounds sweet

Oh, awesome Then you won't mind me bouncing some ideas back and forth with you then in the future? I don't see this guitar getting started before the fall this year, maybe even later, but then again it's the kind of project that would need a lot of planning beforehand, so it might just be a good thing.
Yeah, but having 3 buttons is still way less ergonomic than a simple 3-way.
It sounds like you're really just after something different, rather than something that's easier to use.
You also might want to look into rotary switches if that's the case.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
Yeah, but having 3 buttons is still way less ergonomic than a simple 3-way.
It sounds like you're really just after something different, rather than something that's easier to use.
You also might want to look into rotary switches if that's the case.

I'll draw up something to show what I'm talking about. Anyway, the argument is this: One small movement in the playing area is better than a bigger movement at the outer edge of guitar. You could be soloing away, tap the pickup button with your middle finger and keep playing. Your arm wouldn't leave the spot, you'd just do a finger movement as opposed to moving your forearm away from the picking area to switch. See my point?

At rotary switches, I own a PRS Custom 22 with a rotary pickup switch and it's the least ergonomic thing I've ever encountered on a guitar. You can't even move it with your pinky like other knobs, you have to grab it with your thumb and index finger and turn it- It's incredibly inefficient.
Quote by Aziraphale
I have no idea what those things are but I'll look into them and see if they're what I'm looking for. Thanks

You'll love them once you get into it, endless possibilities....
I guess it depends on your playing style, but that still sounds like a horribly overcomplicated setup to me.
Quote by handbanana
Quote by Aziraphale
At rotary switches, I own a PRS Custom 22 with a rotary pickup switch and it's the least ergonomic thing I've ever encountered on a guitar. You can't even move it with your pinky like other knobs, you have to grab it with your thumb and index finger and turn it- It's incredibly inefficient.
Seconded. As a resonant frequency selector for something like a Varitone and having a separate knob or switch to enable the function, a rotary might be okay.

But as a pickup selector like a PRS or L6S, no friggin way...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
My SG has 3 HBs and a 6-way selector, master tone and volume, and I love that setup. Like I said though, I guess its just personal preference.

Out of curiosity, what guitar are you planning to put this in?
Quote by handbanana
Quote by wiliscool
My SG has 3 HBs and a 6-way selector, master tone and volume, and I love that setup. Like I said though, I guess its just personal preference.

Out of curiosity, what guitar are you planning to put this in?

I'm either building it from scratch, or I'll work it out from a Warmoth body. I built a Warmoth last summer and had great experiences with both the guitar and the company. I prefer it over my PRS even.

Btw I just noticed your quote under your username, cheers for Steely Dan!
Last edited by Aziraphale at Jul 5, 2009,