Hey guys,

I am a long time "reader" and now, decided it was time to get me registered because I needed some help. So, I am currently playing a Classic guitar and my guitar teacher thought it was a good idea for me to start playing electric, as I always wanted from the beginning:P

anyway, on to business shall we.
These are the guitars I am able to buy:

- Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Yamaha RGX A-2
- Ibanez mtm 2bk
- Fender Strat 60' [mexican]

my question is, what would you guys think suits me best, I lean towards Brian May, Linkin Park, Neil Young and some Van Halen is nice every so often:P

additional info:

as an amp, I am currently not sure, some suggestions would be helpfull. as a bear minimum I will be getting a Vox Ampplug, I know not the best thing, but it's just so that I can play and look for an amp in the meanwhile.

----

Your help is much appreciated^^

- Harald
Id go for the epi (the ebony)
Some of my gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom
Fender American Special Tele
Gibson ES-339
London City Strat copy
Other Strat copy
Taylor Big Baby (acoustic)
Ibanez SGT 130 (acoustic)

Trace 2x 12" guitar amp
Dime Distortion
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Budget?

isn't relevant, these guitars are my choice, but If you must need one, 600 Euro's tops^^

Quote by batuhanbatuhan
yeah go for the epiphone custom. Sweet guitar!

any reason why? why not the yamaha?
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 5, 2009,
Thats quite the variety there lol. That's a tough decision imo. You could always go and steal Brian May's Red Special lol.

But ya what is your budget here?
Mexican 60's strat all the way.

I bought one for $350 and it was totally worth it. Awesome neck.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Thats quite the variety there lol. That's a tough decision imo. You could always go and steal Brian May's Red Special lol.

But ya what is your budget here?

I wish I could XD He's awesome! anyways, as posted just before, about 6oo tops Euro's off course:P
out of those, i'd say the epi custom. and i strongly advise you to stay away from a mexican strat. some of the teles are ok, but the strats...
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

well equally as important, if not more so...what amp will you be playing this through?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Go for the Ibanez MTM 2. It's very versatile, and the neck is pretty thin which is what most people prefer. Try all the guitars out and see what you prefer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
well equally as important, if not more so...what amp will you be playing this through?

that my friend is a total questionmark in my head right now, I am currently plowing trough the amp threads for some suggestions.
Quote by MXFNCK
Id go for the epi (the ebony)

no, the epiphone les paul custom is the exact same as the standard, only in solid black with binding, not worth the 2-300 dollar difference.

the yamaha is actually a great guitar, but i'd personally go with the strat, it gives you a great building block, and you could always replace the pickups on it and there's so many aftermarket things for them i think they're great guitars if you don't know exactly what you want to play yet.

EDIT: the mexicans are not much different than the american ones, fender themselves have said mexican strats are routinely made out of the same materials IN THE USA and then shipped to mexico for painting and assembly. You can read that in their 50th anniversary strat book. The MTM is OK, but it has EMG's, which i hate, and wouldn't fit with what you want to play.
Last edited by Chad11491 at Jul 5, 2009,
The MTM is a metal machine. A really tough metal machine.Drop B is excellent for it because it's Mick's model (you know MT from Slipknot).
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony well Epiphones are awesome and Les Paul models rule so if you're into the sort of music I'd say buy it
Epiphone Les Paul Standard ^^^ same
Yamaha RGX A-2 I'm not familiar
Fender Strat 60' [mexican] not familiar
Quote by darkravers009
I wish I could XD He's awesome! anyways, as posted just before, about 6oo tops Euro's off course:P

haha indeed sir

Id would say to rule out the mexican strat as well as the Ibanez based on your tastes.

I would def look at the Epi and the Yamaha (don't know much about their electrics, but I know for 350 bucks I LOVE my Yamaha classical guitar)
Quote by Dopemgs
The MTM is a metal machine. A really tough metal machine.Drop B is excellent for it because it's Mick's model (you know MT from Slipknot).
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Ebony well Epiphones are awesome and Les Paul models rule so if you're into the sort of music I'd say buy it
Epiphone Les Paul Standard ^^^ same
Yamaha RGX A-2 I'm not familiar
Fender Strat 60' [mexican] not familiar

that rules out the ibanez for me:P but I would really like someone's opinion about the yamaha.
Quote by rhoadsfan92
out of those, i'd say the epi custom. and i strongly advise you to stay away from a mexican strat. some of the teles are ok, but the strats...

What's wrong with the Mexican 60's strats?
Quote by Chad11491
no, the epiphone les paul custom is the exact same as the standard, only in solid black with binding, not worth the 2-300 dollar difference.

the yamaha is actually a great guitar, but i'd personally go with the strat, it gives you a great building block, and you could always replace the pickups on it and there's so many aftermarket things for them i think they're great guitars if you don't know exactly what you want to play yet.

EDIT: the mexicans are not much different than the american ones, fender themselves have said mexican strats are routinely made out of the same materials IN THE USA and then shipped to mexico for painting and assembly. You can read that in their 50th anniversary strat book. The MTM is OK, but it has EMG's, which i hate, and wouldn't fit with what you want to play.

what would you say is soundwise better, mex strat or yamaha?
Quote by darkravers009
that my friend is a total questionmark in my head right now, I am currently plowing trough the amp threads for some suggestions.

honestly, with your budget, i would check out a Roland Cube, Peavey Vyper, or that Vox modelling amp thats in the same range (anyone here less stoned than me?)

the Vyper may not be quite your taste, but try it out anyways, and those Cubes are fun

never played the Vox
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well Yamaha guitars are good if you're into clean playing that's what I know. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7BTR1L2HzM&fmt=18 to see for yourself but from my point of view this is perfect for clean and distorted licks and riffs It's not a metal machine but LP aren't purely metal so that might suit you Van Halen is in your pocket with this.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
honestly, with your budget, i would check out a Roland Cube, Peavey Vyper, or that Vox modelling amp thats in the same range (anyone here less stoned than me?)

the Vyper may not be quite your taste, but try it out anyways, and those Cubes are fun

never played the Vox

I am currently looking at the Vox AD30 and a Marshall MG30
Epiphones are great beginner guitars. You won't regret buying one.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Guitarfreak777
For that model I suggest reading all 70 so of these reviews

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-RGX-A2-Electric-Guitar?sku=519172#new

hah, from what I read, great guitar only sustain is something it isn't that good at:P

thanks for the link^^

---

hey, how would a PRS santana SE be like? I don't like the fact it's made in Korea.
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by darkravers009
hah, from what I read, great guitar only sustain is something it isn't that good at:P

thanks for the link^^

np dude.

and for future reference, Sustain on bolt on necks will never be as good as a set neck. That's prolly why they say the sustain is lackin in the Yamaha.

Anyhow, I would say you couldn't go wrong with the standard Epi les paul for the fact that it is pretty versatile. The Yamaha sounds like it could be a great guitar but no guarantee simply because i've never played it or known anyone that has. I have played the Epi les paul and I can say that it has a pretty good feel and is a general all around guitar.
As far as a guitar goes I would say go as transparent as possible. Choose a guitar that will sound good clean.

Try this on a couple of different amps that you are interested in with different gain settings that are to your liking. I can't stress this enough, you want a guitar that you can plug in anywhere and get a good clean sound out of.

You have a good variety of options and forums are always helpful but in the end you know what will sound good to your ears and feel good in your hands.

Regarding amps, again transparent. The roland jazz is an excellent choice. It's very transparent, you can use the pedals of your choice/pedal board or something like a gt8 and you'll be amazed at what a colorful amp this is.

The roland will set you back $895 or so brand new so I suggest checking craigslist and ebay for a bargain. But even if you buy it brand new it will suit your needs for many years to come and it's a great investment, great for gigging and recording.
How about, you get a guitar that is cheaper than the above mentioned but sounds better and is made for van halen, linkin park and much more. Look up AXL fire ,the company isnt known very well and neither is the guitar, but damnit, mine beats my friends gibson les paul in sound looks and playability and both his amp and guitar are supposed to sound better, yeah right. seriously it only cost 250 U.S, dollars really cheap for a guitar of its class but damn does it sound so good, brings a tear to my eye.
Personally, I'd at least consider the Yamaha Pacifica. The 112V is pretty much the best guitar in it's price range (it gets voted so, year after year). Looks like you can afford a little more, so why not consider the Pacifica 412V? Retails between £250-300 (dunno what that is in your local currency). Actually, even a Pacifica 612V would be less than an Epi LP Custom, and the 612V is when they start getting really sweet. Easily handle all the stuff you want to do well enough.
Hm, if you're in the range of the LP custom I'd look at the PRS SE line, the Custom 24 especially. That is, if you're in the US.

Where are you located?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
Hm, if you're in the range of the LP custom I'd look at the PRS SE line, the Custom 24 especially. That is, if you're in the US.

Where are you located?

I live in The Netherlands, weed capital and narco-state of the worldXD.
Quote by Martin Scott
Personally, I'd at least consider the Yamaha Pacifica. The 112V is pretty much the best guitar in it's price range (it gets voted so, year after year). Looks like you can afford a little more, so why not consider the Pacifica 412V? Retails between £250-300 (dunno what that is in your local currency). Actually, even a Pacifica 612V would be less than an Epi LP Custom, and the 612V is when they start getting really sweet. Easily handle all the stuff you want to do well enough.

well, I can get the epi standard for 370 euro's but I'm not sure if the custom eb is worth the extra money, I can get that one for 550. which is almost at the top of my budget. I can get the yamaha rgx a2 for 420.
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 6, 2009,
i used to have a yamaha strat copy. i hated it! i never got into guitar, then when i decided to try again i got an epi les paul and it was a massive step up! and the rest is history...

deffo go for the les pal custom, thats what i did, its very playable, if a bit heavy! sounds alright too!

i eventually swapped out the pickups when i got a bit better and wanted better sound, but its an awsome starter guitar!
Go for epi les paul standard, I have an Ibanez MTM2 and I adore it but it's not really your style of playing from what I've read. Mexican strats are really nice too but lacking a humbucker. Also les pauls can play absolutely anything.
what would you guys say is the biggest difference between the Epiphone LP standard and the Custom EB, except for the colours?
Really depends the Ibanez won't fit your style, the Epi's are great and so are the MIM standards. I would play both and see what you like, I haven't ever played a Yamaha guitar so I can't comment.
Quote by darkravers009
what would you guys say is the biggest difference between the Epiphone LP standard and the Custom EB, except for the colours?

Nothing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Nothing.

not even sound like or even qualitylike? because if so, I'm getting either a Epi LP standard or a Yamaha rgx a2 or maybe even a mex. strat, but I kinda don't like the styling of it.

Quote by jaybals
i used to have a yamaha strat copy. i hated it! i never got into guitar, then when i decided to try again i got an epi les paul and it was a massive step up! and the rest is history...

deffo go for the les pal custom, thats what i did, its very playable, if a bit heavy! sounds alright too!

i eventually swapped out the pickups when i got a bit better and wanted better sound, but its an awsome starter guitar!

I didn't know it was a strat copy, is it? [rgx a2]
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 6, 2009,
No, I don't think so. The Pacifica series is the strat-a-like Yamaha.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
you know, the owner of this little and local guitar store told me, vintages are better then epiphones, because he said they resembled a gibson even more. now, Idk if he's just trying to lure me for buying a guitar at his store and talking plain BS, or if he;s actualy right, anyone have any experience with a vintage les paul copy?

I am really keen on the epy les paul standard HB and the yamaha rgx a2, the latter is light as hell!

Quote by Rhoads_1096
Really depends the Ibanez won't fit your style, the Epi's are great and so are the MIM standards. I would play both and see what you like, I haven't ever played a Yamaha guitar so I can't comment.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 15, 2009,